Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:24 PM EDT
im laoding 45 acp im usine speer gold dot 200 grain jhp im using once to twice fired brass i have once fired top brass and twice fired federal and brass that have an R and P on the bottom i think they are remington the top brass and the federal brass load fine the brass marked R and P seem like the bullets push in to easy... all the brass is sized using a hornady sizer .. when i chamber the rounds after they are taper crimped and i run a few through the weapon the bullet heads on the cases marked R and P push the bullets heads in a little bit
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:42:39 PM EDT
The cases could be too thin, either way dont shoot them if you can push the bullet in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:49 PM EDT
is R and P reminton? thats what i though that the cases were too thin
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 8:22:03 PM EDT by JesseCJC]
Originally Posted By johnnyrotton0639:
is R and P reminton? thats what i though that the cases were too thin

Yes, R-P is remmington and it's a common issue. I save the Rp when I load lead projectiles @ .452 and it seems to work better that way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:27:04 PM EDT
Have you tried using a heavy crimp with a Lee FCD? I've been reloading .45ACP with RP brass and Hornady 230 grain XTP's for about a year now and haven't had any trouble at all...

Have you measured the bullets? Are they under spec or something?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:30:00 PM EDT
you r talking about lee factroy crimp die not the taper crimp die right
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:42 PM EDT
Lee FDC
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:45:01 PM EDT
they sell a taper crimp die also
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:47 PM EDT
The only brass I have ever heard this complaint with is Remington. I have over 2000 cases and have never experienced any trouble with it.

I make sure my die and shell plate are touching or even camming over slightly, this goes as far as possible toward sizing as much of the case as you can.

I use a .470" or .471" neck dimension.

I only flair the case enough to set the bullet in it. Any crimp really, is just the removal of that flair.

If I use Lee's FCD, it's only to apply a light crimp. 90+% of the bullet retention is the responsibility of neck tension from the resizing die. If your's doesn't give enough of it, send it back to the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:04 PM EDT
My father-in-law gave me several hundred nickle plated Remington 45 Auto cases.
None of them even with a heavy taper crimp would hold a bullet secure enough to prevent finger pressure from setting the bullet back in the case.
I was afraid to shoot them. I pulled the bullets and tossed the cases.

I've never had that issue with plain brass, R-P or otherwise.
Top Top