Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:24 PM EDT
im laoding 45 acp im usine speer gold dot 200 grain jhp  im using once to twice fired brass i have once fired top brass and twice fired federal and brass that have an R and  P on the bottom i think they are remington the top brass and the federal brass load fine the brass marked R and P seem like the bullets push in to easy... all the brass is sized using a hornady sizer .. when i chamber the rounds after they are taper crimped and i run a few through the weapon the bullet heads on the cases marked R and P push the bullets heads in a little bit
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The cases could be too thin, either way dont shoot them if you can push the bullet in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
is R and P reminton?    thats what i though that the cases were too thin
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
is R and P reminton?    thats what i though that the cases were too thin

Yes, R-P is remmington and it's a common issue. I save the Rp when I load lead projectiles @ .452 and it seems to work better that way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried using a heavy crimp with a Lee FCD?  I've been reloading .45ACP with RP brass and Hornady 230 grain XTP's for about a year now and haven't had any trouble at all...

Have you measured the bullets?  Are they under spec or something?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
you r talking about lee factroy crimp die not the taper crimp die right
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Lee FDC
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
they sell a taper crimp die also
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The only brass I have ever heard this complaint with is Remington. I have over 2000 cases and have never experienced any trouble with it.

I make sure my die and shell plate are touching or even camming over slightly, this goes as far as possible toward sizing as much of the case as you can.

I use a .470" or .471" neck dimension.

I only flair the case enough to set the bullet in it. Any crimp really, is just the removal of that flair.

If I use Lee's FCD, it's only to apply a light crimp. 90+% of the bullet retention is the responsibility of neck tension from the resizing die. If your's doesn't give enough of it, send it back to the manufacturer.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My father-in-law gave me several hundred nickle plated Remington 45 Auto cases.
None of them even with a heavy taper crimp would hold a bullet secure enough to prevent finger pressure from setting the bullet back in the case.
I was afraid to shoot them. I pulled the bullets and tossed the cases.

I've never had that issue with plain brass, R-P or otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top