BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

I went ahead and ordered it this afternoon.  I also added a MI m lok drop in rail to my order.  Going for that pseudo retro yet also modern look lol.  I'm also eyeballing what I have here in the spare parts bin to recycle some parts because like you not wanting to drop a ton on this either.  They only show 4 uppers in stock now after I placed my order so if you haven't yet you might not want to wait too much longer. I figured better snag it now before its out of stock and god knows when it might be restocked given the current times we are in.

I have the bootleg adjustable carrier I can pull from my 10.5 if I need to.  I can also utilize the A5A2 buffer, tube and spring or the a5 tube, Tubb flat spring and 9mm Hydraulic buffer (Amphibian's special lol) if I need to tame it some.  Curious what buffer/spring combos you guys are running with your 12.5/AEM5 setups?

Once I have this in hand I'll have to get measurements to give Ron a call about getting a collar made. Looking forward to this.
View Quote

I just ordered the last one.  I figured this is the best bet.  I did find the barrel for 135 shipped but after you add FSB, gas tube, delta ring, and barrel nut, it came to 190.  BCM blem uppers are gone so you're at 100 for an upper pretty much.  Just made sense to get this as I'd get a BA barrel anyway and hopefully the FSB is professionally assembled and aligned.  We'll see.  Ron will get a call/email asap for a collar too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Anybody with an extra M4 .700 x .700 collar they might want to part with, PM me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#3]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

I just ordered the last one.  I figured this is the best bet.  I did find the barrel for 135 shipped but after you add FSB, gas tube, delta ring, and barrel nut, it came to 190.  BCM blem uppers are gone so you're at 100 for an upper pretty much.  Just made sense to get this as I'd get a BA barrel anyway and hopefully the FSB is professionally assembled and aligned.  We'll see.  Ron will get a call/email asap for a collar too.
View Quote

I kinda came to the same conclusion.  They shipped mine out this morning. As soon as I have it in hand with the step measurements I'll give Ron a holler.  Going back to page 8 of this thread someone discovered their 12.5 BA barrel has the correct step dimension for the AEM5 M4 collar but no sense in taking a chance.  I don't think anyone has the default one in stock anyway other than Ron so I'd have to call regardless.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
18" 224v.......mmmmm

what velocity you seeing? i have a 20" but i wanted to do an SPR in 18" with one some day.
View Quote

Only got data on the FGMM 80.5gr Bergers: 2764fps
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
yes thats what i see with 75/80 eldm and my not maxed out loads.

i want a mod 0 224valk some day :)
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#6]

Turns out my friend's new phone has a built in flir camera.  Here is my AEM5 after 20 rounds today.  Toasty!

Also my nephew's first range trip today.  Spoiling him early on with suppressed firearms lol. Sadly pictures and videos of him shooting my AEM5 are on his dads phone at the moment so I can't share them but trust me.  He absolutely loved it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried wrapping it in bacon? I've always wanted to do that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By k31user:
Have you tried wrapping it in bacon? I've always wanted to do that.
View Quote

Most American Breakfast Ever! Cooked On An AR-15 ????

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 7:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#9]
Mod. Pls delete. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:01:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#10]
AEM5 just broke out of NFA jail. March 13 to August 19. I was surprised.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UnknownPatriot:
AEM5 just broke out of NFA jail. March 13 to August 19. I was surprised.
View Quote

Now that’s exciting. That seems about average now. My check was cashed 6/27 so hopefully I’ll get mine by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:40:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#12]
My dealer told me the other day he's had a few stamps come back in the 5-6 month timeframe for some submissions just before the one I submitted in March for the R2.  The AEM5 was more recent but............ hoping that if they are about to approve the other one I might get lucky with dual approval for this one.  Not counting on it though.  

@stainlineho

Appreciate the notes comparison.  Looking forward to getting the collar for this 12.5 and trying the AEM5 out. I'm curious to see how yours winds up looking when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope the 5-6 month trend continues for y’all waiting on your aem5. Glad my stamp is out of your way
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope the 5-6 month trend continues for y’all waiting on your aem5. Glad my stamp is out of your way
View Quote

Have you had a chance to shoot yours yet?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
My dealer told me the other day he's had a few stamps come back in the 5-6 month timeframe for some submissions just before the one I submitted in March for the R2.  The AEM5 was more recent but............ hoping that if they are about to approve the other one I might get lucky with dual approval for this one.  Not counting on it though.  

@stainlineho

Appreciate the notes comparison.  Looking forward to getting the collar for this 12.5 and trying the AEM5 out. I'm curious to see how yours winds up looking when all is said and done.
View Quote

Hopefully you got my other PM, I think I sent it.  As soon as the collar arrives which I assume will be a few weeks, I'm going to take it to the range and test the AEM5 on it.  

I've shot my AEM5 on my Mk-ish-12, and the loudest part is the buffer spring, which I have replaced with a silent capture spring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#16]
I finally uploaded the video of my nephew checking out my "sniper" as he kept referring to it lol.  He loved the 300blk pistol/R2 and Taurus TX22/Mask combos but he clearly said this was his favorite of the day. He's already begging to go back and shoot it again.

I think the loudest part of my setup is that classic Vortex flash hider "ping" I've missed it since gravitating over to Keymo on everything else. A brake makes more sense to me on the 12.5 with it being more abusive to the blast baffle.

Nephew's first range trip and shooting my AEM5 suppressor
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally uploaded the video of my nephew checking out my "sniper" as he kept referring to it lol.  He loved the 300blk pistol/R2 and Taurus TX22/Mask combos but he clearly said this was his favorite of the day. He's already begging to go back and shoot it again.

I think the loudest part of my setup is that classic Vortex flash hider "ping" I've missed it since gravitating over to Keymo on everything else. A brake makes more sense to me on the 12.5 with it being more abusive to the blast baffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7tLew2-Es
View Quote

AEM5 with rifle length gas just spoils me. I've become a recoil and noise snob on rifles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#18]

Have you had a chance to shoot yours yet?
View Quote

Not yet. I’m taking a day soon to practice some proper social distance.

Also, just want to add that when I finally decided to stop lurking in the AEM5 threads and become an owner I called Ron Allen. He couldn’t have been nicer or more knowledgeable. I’m glad I could buy a product from such an nice and important person in this community. If you’re on the fence.... pull the trigger already.

Thank you Mr Allen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Long time lurker on this thread, and always had an irrational interest in the Ops 12/AEM5 since watching Black Hawk Down as a kid then learning about the Mk12 family. Thanks to a good friend of mine letting me mock his can up on my RECCE-ish rifle I am officially sold on the system. As soon as I have the means to jump into the NFA game, I will most definitely be picking one up. It just feels right going on the end of a gun that has a Mk12 Mod H barrel in it.

Obligatory pic of the mock up (needs a collar ASAP):

I do apologize for my cell's camera having the quality of a potato
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Another shout out to Ron being awesome.

I got the M4 collar for the AEM5 from him and it didn't fit my 12.5.  Turns out my caliper is a bit off.  So after calling him and discussing options he suggested I swing by a local machine shop and have them remeasure the barrel step with a micrometer.  He also offered to loan me one but it would take waiting on the mail again one more time to go that route.  I thought why not look into just buying one so as soon as I saw online what it looked like it the light bulb went off that I actually already had one of the damn things.  I acquired it with a bunch of reloading gear I bought a while back but had forgotten about it.

Ron was kind enough to give me a crash course over the phone how to use the damn thing and now we are good to go with the correct measurement.  Again Ron many thanks and sorry to add to your workload some more.  I do appreciate it.

Really excited to get that 12.5 setup and sending some quieter rounds downrange with it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey guys, I have a DD 12.5 barrel going onto my BHD/Gothic Serpent Clone. I have taken the following measurements:

I have what I believe to be a standard M4 collar which fits on the step and clears the bayo lug by the width of a hair on a gnat's ass (maybe a couple sheets of paper) at most. There is daylight between the two. Am I correct in assuming that this will result in proper alignment of my AEM5? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:50:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#22]
Originally Posted By no_cigar:
Hey guys, I have a DD 12.5 barrel going onto my BHD/Gothic Serpent Clone. I have taken the following measurements:
https://i.imgur.com/RFh13Q5.jpg

I have what I believe to be a standard M4 collar which fits on the step and clears the bayo lug by the width of a hair on a gnat's ass (maybe a couple sheets of paper) at most. There is daylight between the two. Am I correct in assuming that this will result in proper alignment of my AEM5? Thanks!
View Quote

I just got the replacement collar from Ron after providing an accurate measurement this time. Mine turned out coming close to the bayo lug as well but there's definitely a gap with no contact.  I was prepared to have to shave the bayo lug back a bit if needed.  As long as your inner diameter before and after the step are snug but not too loose and clear of the lug when firmly against the step you should be good to go I would think.  Here's how mine turned out.  Can't wait to go visit the can in jail soon and try it out on my 12.5

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#23]

I just got the replacement collar from Ron after providing an accurate measurement this time. Mine turned out coming close to the bayo lug as well but there's definitely a gap with no contact.  I was prepared to have to shave the bayo lug back a bit if needed.  As long as your inner diameter before and after the step are snug but not too loose and clear of the lug when firmly against the step you should be good to go I would think.  Here's how mine turned out.  Can't wait to go visit the can in jail soon and try it out on my 12.5

https://i.imgur.com/wGuAVVrh.jpg
View Quote

Really nice fitment.  Looking forward to receiving mine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#24]
With a collar that now properly fits it was killing me to wait till Sat or Sun to go visit the can again so I snuck in a quick range trip this afternoon to go play with the 12.5 setup.  Damn it sounds as good as it looks.  I'm happy with the direction its headed.  I might just finally say f it and finally SBR one of these damned lowers of mine.  

Sat or Sun hopefully I'll have someone else with me so I can get some video.  My nephew after going for the first time a couple weeks back is dying to go again so most likely will have help this time and have someone else shoot it. It will be nice to step back away from the gun and hear it from about 20 feet or so.

@k31user Thanks again Ron for working with me on this collar.  It really is appreciated. Nailed that 10.5ish look I was hoping for. Being a 12.5 I could go vert grip as it's over 26 OAL and still keep the brace.  Tempting for sure.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys, does anyone know if I’ll run into clearance issues using a LaRue 13.2 SAT rail and a BA OPS cut 16” w/AEM5?

Trying to get the exact 13.2 length from LaRue. If it’s exactly 13.2 inches I might be in the clear, but I’m taking a tape measure to a Holland-ish upper with a PRI forend so my methods aren’t exacty... exact.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:18:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kirbykid25] [#26]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Hey guys, does anyone know if I’ll run into clearance issues using a LaRue 13.2 SAT rail and a BA OPS cut 16” w/AEM5?

Trying to get the exact 13.2 length from LaRue. If it’s exactly 13.2 inches I might be in the clear, but I’m taking a tape measure to a Holland-ish upper with a PRI forend so my methods aren’t exacty... exact.
View Quote

I tired that(was a standard Larue quad rail) with a 16” compass lake spun barrel and it was like .2 from working.  The aem5 would get like 3 turns and hit the rail before getting to the collar

And because pics, had Ron spin me up a collar a few weeks ago for this 12.5.  Ron is the man is all I can say, and so is the aem5

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kirbykid25:

I tired that(was a standard Larue quad rail) with a 16” compass lake spun barrel and it was like .2 from working.  The aem5 would get like 3 turns and hit the rail before getting to the collar

And because pics, had Ron spin me up a collar a few weeks ago for this 12.5.  Ron is the man is all I can say, and so is the aem5

https://i.ibb.co/DGKL3gr/776-ACE5-D-0-E8-B-4-AA1-8-A36-5-DA9-B2902-BA5.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/GxcHkL4/1-D991864-813-A-446-A-B955-028922-C38460.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for sharing.  That is a sweet looking setup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#28]

View Quote

Bummer, the 12” it is then! Appreciate the info and those pics, got me considering the LAT now.

If I were going quad or LAT I’d be tempted to have D. Wilson or Chop Boss modify a 13.2 to fit but I think a chop job would look a bit off with the SAT.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kirbykid25] [#29]

Bummer, the 12” it is then! Appreciate the info and those pics, got me considering the LAT now.

If I were going quad or LAT I’d be tempted to have D. Wilson or Chop Boss modify a 13.2 to fit but I think a chop job would look a bit off with the SAT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Or maybe do a 16.25 or 16.5 and use the 13.2?  But yes 12/12.5 master race with the aem5.  For reference mine is a 12.5 barrel and a 9” LAT.  9.5” rail would work but I love Larue rails.  There is a member here who used a foward controls 9.5 rail/centurion arms clone clamp on rail that looks killer.  He’s the one who inspired mine.

This rail
https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/RHF4_p_217.html

And I love the look of the SAT rails, but find the LATs feel better in the hand and are more useful in terms of space to put stuff.  I like to put my lights a bit further back then the SAT allows..yeah shadows I know but dirty lights...ugh and with a can, no dirty lights
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#30]
Sometimes they can be bored out to fit as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Mounting AE30 on a M1A SOCOM

I know the SOCOM 16 is a less than ideal host for an AE30, but I have one and want to be able to mount my AE30.  
First step is to replace the factory gas lock and fixed muzzle device.  SEI has one for $85 and Delta P Design has one for $225 (two piece).
SEI:
Attachment Attached File

Delta P:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am leaning towards the Delta P since it moves the threads past the gas plug.  

I’ll probably buy this gas plug from SEI too P/N 2079, to be able to adjust gas volume.
Attachment Attached File

Now the real challenge, mounting the AE30.  I believe what I need is one of these but for the AE30, not for the AEM’s.  
Attachment Attached File

Has Ron made anyone an AE30 adapter like this?  If not Ron, has anyone had one made somewhere else?  Does anyone have any other mounting ideas?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#32]
^^^ man having suppressed a M1a In the past with a conventional 18oz suppressor all I can say is buy an Ar10.

IMO an M1a doesn’t suppress well... like expect a huge shift low at 100y. It’s insane. The ae30 weighs like 26oz without all the mounting hardware. Plus factor in all of the adapters you’re trying to use. It may be possible but an AR10 or a bolt gun would be much easier and probably lend to less of a POI shift.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:37:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironmaker] [#33]
^^^ man having suppressed a M1a In the past with a conventional 18oz suppressor all I can say is buy an Ar10.

IMO Athens M1a doesn’t suppress well... like expect a huge shift low at 100y. It’s insane. The ae30 weighs like 26oz without all the mounting hardware. Plus factor in all of the adapters you’re trying to use. It may be possible but an AR10 or a bolt gun would be much easier and probably lend to less of a POI shift.
View Quote

You know when someone is right and giving good advice, but you want to do what you want anyway  

Actually, I should just get a 300 BO upper.  

ETA: for about the same price as all the parts and adapters, I could get a 300 BO upper from PSA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry man! I finally sold both of my m1a. I still like them just harder to suppress imo.

I will say that I bet a Nomad titanium would do well. It’s like 9oz. That would probably help with the huge POI shift I always experienced.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#35]

IMO an M1a doesn’t suppress well... like expect a huge shift low at 100y. It’s insane. The ae30 weighs like 26oz without all the mounting hardware. Plus factor in all of the adapters you’re trying to use. It may be possible but an AR10 or a bolt gun would be much easier and probably lend to less of a POI shift.
View Quote

Pay attention to this person. Please.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rhd91integra] [#36]
Sent you a Dm ron.  " k31user "

I've tried emailing you from your webpage and this email option we have on ar15.com with no reply.  

I sent you a Dm and replying to your post.

Thank your in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#37]
Ugh. Got the email from Charlie Custom clones about a colt m4 collar... less than 10 min I saw it and they were gone
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Ugh. Got the email from Charlie Custom clones about a colt m4 collar... less than 10 min I saw it and they were gone
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/poof_usual_suspects-336.gif
View Quote

Probably the best thing to happen to you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#39]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

Probably the best thing to happen to you.
View Quote

So not a good company to deal with? No clue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#40]

So not a good company to deal with? No clue.
View Quote

You'd have better luck testifying against the Clintons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]
AEM5 on M4 collars need to be barrel specific. I sell collars to Potomac(Charlies) that fit a barrel that they use. That does not mean that it will properly fit any M4 barrel.
To properly fit your barrel I need to know the distance from bare muzzle to step, and the diameter before and after the step.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
https://i.imgur.com/RFh13Q5.jpg

View Quote

So I paid a conjugal visit to both my AEM5s in NFA jail to test fit and my combination will work perfectly!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#43]
AEM5 on M4 collars need to be barrel specific. I sell collars to Potomac(Charlies) that fit a barrel that they use. That does not mean that it will properly fit any M4 barrel.
To properly fit your barrel I need to know the distance from bare muzzle to step, and the diameter before and after the step.
View Quote

And use properly functioning tools.  Turns out my caliper was just a touch off.  The first collar Ron made me was a no go.......... his suggestion of using a micrometer for the barrel diameter paid off and the second one he made me fits like a glove. If you have a micrometer available much better tool for getting the exact diameter forward and aft of the barrel step.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#44]

So I paid a conjugal visit to both my AEM5s in NFA jail to test fit and my combination will work perfectly!
View Quote

As long as the collar is not sloppy on the diameter and you get the right number of turns of thread engagement.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#45]

As long as the collar is not sloppy on the diameter and you get the right number of turns of thread engagement.
View Quote

This has probably been covered before but what number should we be looking for?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought it was approx 6-8 revolutions.  One one of mine its about  7 and a half and on the other one its just past 8.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the collar Ron!

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone happen to have the profile specs for a 5.56 3rd model?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Love it

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:07:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#50]
I gave mine another conjugal visit workout today as well.

Kinda fun shooting these all back to back today.  AEM5 obviously sounds amazing even on the 12.5 setup but the Resonator and even the Turbo K sounded great on the 5.56 hosts. The Turbo K has honestly surprised me.  I didn't think the tone would sound as good as it does. I had the Sandman K out there today as well but it is clearly the least comfortable of the bunch to my naked ears. Just didn't have a 4th host for the photo op.  I'd love to get these near a proper meter one day.  The sad thing about having 2 hosts setup for an AEM5 is not having 2 of them.  Maybe one day I'll have to entertain the idea of a second one or look into the 30 cal version.

Like stainlineho said, thanks Ron for the custom collar.

It will be nice once I can bring the can home and populate one of these somewhere other than my dealers range.

Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top