Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2002 4:04:53 PM EDT
On my 870 shotgun I want to put a top folding pistol grip stock, and a two round magazine extension on. The barrel is 18".
In my BATF green book it states the minimum length for a rifle or shotgun is 26". Is this the open position or closed on shotguns?
Also being that it is a manually operated shotgun are their any Assault weapon restrictions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
FEDERALLY, it's 26" with the stock fully extended.

STATE-wise, I know that at least two states (California and Michigan) measure with the stock folded.

The assault weapons ban only applies to SEMI-AUTOMATICS.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:55:22 PM EDT
I think you'll find that on the 870 and any other domestic shotgun that the length of the barrel and receiver meets the 26" rule either by themselves or with a simple pistol grip attached. The last thing they want to do is end up in a bunch of legal trouble for manufacturing unregistered short-barrelled shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:17:34 PM EDT
Careful, I think the rules are different for a semiauto shotgun, in regards to pistol grips and extended magazine tubes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:26:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Vinnie:
Careful, I think the rules are different for a semiauto shotgun, in regards to pistol grips and extended magazine tubes.

They are.... but an 870 is a pump action.

On Semi-Auto's you can have EITHER: A pistol grip and tube that holds no more than 5 rounds OR you can have a straight stock with as big of a tube as you like. But not both.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:37:22 PM EDT
Is it really? ok I'll just shut up now.
Top Top