Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
CZ Bren 2 (Page 91 of 102)
Page / 102
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the new 9" x39s on order.  Is the only way to get it 922r compliant by using the HBI 7.62x39 magazine conversion?  If I am right the x39 CZ mags are made in the Czech Republic.  The 922r kit gets you to 3 compliant parts with the disconnector, handguard, and piston.  A new muzzle device gets it to 4, and I believe 6 are needed?

I know most will say ignore 922r and I am sure most do, but I always say I'd rather just follow the law than with the shit lottery in this case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
I have one of the new 9" x39s on order.  Is the only way to get it 922r compliant by using the HBI 7.62x39 magazine conversion?  If I am right the x39 CZ mags are made in the Czech Republic.  The 922r kit gets you to 3 compliant parts with the disconnector, handguard, and piston.  A new muzzle device gets it to 4, and I believe 6 are needed?

I know most will say ignore 922r and I am sure most do, but I always say I'd rather just follow the law than with the shit lottery in this case.
View Quote

922R applies if you SBR it. Are you going that route? The guns ship with imported magazines.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LIONHART:

922R applies if you SBR it. Are you going that route? The guns ship with imported magazines.
View Quote

Yep.  I am not a fan of braces so I would be going the SBR route with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a factory CZ 922r kit minus the folding stock that I don't need. Please PM me if interested in purchasing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kells81:
Yes- 5.56 14” with pinned hider.  This is my new favorite setup.
View Quote

I am in the same boat. Just got a 5.56 in 14”. Want to pin and weld but the stock flash hider seems barely short. Which flash hider did you get? Any recommendations please?

Pic for ref. It’s 16” where the blue tape starts so I guess just a tad bit short.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you pull the flash hider and measure it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bob9181:

I am in the same boat. Just got a 5.56 in 14”. Want to pin and weld but the stock flash hider seems barely short. Which flash hider did you get? Any recommendations please?

Pic for ref. It’s 16” where the blue tape starts so I guess just a tad bit short.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475536/37899351-0AC4-4DAC-8181-FE6D3A9728A9_jpe-2377959.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kells81:
Yes- 5.56 14” with pinned hider.  This is my new favorite setup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475536/37899351-0AC4-4DAC-8181-FE6D3A9728A9_jpe-2377959.JPG

If not going the SBR route, than this one would get my vote.

JMAC FH
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, here is a ASR flash hider. 2.46”
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]

If not going the SBR route, than this one would get my vote.

JMAC FH
View Quote

Originally Posted By 3-gun:
FWIW, here is a ASR flash hider. 2.46”
View Quote

Thanks both! Appreciate the inputs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Enough room for a spacer?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

As much as I detest Dead Air, I used one of their keymo mounts on my 14".
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

As much as I detest Dead Air, I used one of their keymo mounts on my 14".
View Quote

Without wanting a complete thread derail, may we ask why?  First time Ive ever read complete dissatisfaction with DA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

Without wanting a complete thread derail, may we ask why?  First time Ive ever read complete dissatisfaction with DA.
View Quote

Yeah, or start a thread on it. I was planning on ordering at least 3 of their cans this year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

View All Quotes

I guess that’s the key part . The ASR and the one in the link will give you just over 16” on a colt 14.5” socom barrel.
Don’t know exactly how long the threads or actual barrel length on the CZ
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Yeah, or start a thread on it. I was planning on ordering at least 3 of their cans this year.
View Quote

I have 3 DA cans (Mask, Sandman K, and L).  I'm happy with all.  They work and work well.   My limited interactions with DA have also all been pleasant.   So, I'm legit curious what drove such a high level of dissatisfaction.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#16]
SIG BRAVO 3 prism scope mounted and sighted in at 50. Interesting to use for a guy who's known only red dots for some time. Moving the brace all the way up allows for a cheek weld.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Just took my new Bren 2 11" 5.56 to the range. On unsuppressed, casings eject right at 3 o'clock. Shooting suppressed in the normal gas regulator setting (with an Omega 36M in long config and Dead Air Keymo mount), casings are ejected at ~1:30.

I know folks are sending their regulators into HBI for the addition of a suppressed port to replace the "off" setting. How "bad" for the gun is continuing to run it overgassed like it is? Just trying to figure out if i care enough to send the regulator in or just shoot the gun as is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:55:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LIONHART] [#18]

View All Quotes

I had this done, and explained it in this thread many, many pages ago, back in 2020. I had a 5/8” custom spacer made that the flash hider screwed into, and stopped right at the opening. That way, there wouldn’t be space internally for carbon deposits/etc. The spacer/flash hider combo then screwed onto the barrel, and got pinned/welded. I had an outfit in Arizona do the work at a cost of around $150.00. I’m not sure if I still have photos of it, but I’ll look. Anyway, I decided to let that one go, and replaced it with another 14” Bren that I SBR’d.

Here is a similar setup with the exact same flash hider spacer/modification. Same shop did the work on mine.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ncitrdude:
Just took my new Bren 2 11" 5.56 to the range. On unsuppressed, casings eject right at 3 o'clock. Shooting suppressed in the normal gas regulator setting (with an Omega 36M in long config and Dead Air Keymo mount), casings are ejected at ~1:30.

I know folks are sending their regulators into HBI for the addition of a suppressed port to replace the "off" setting. How "bad" for the gun is continuing to run it overgassed like it is? Just trying to figure out if i care enough to send the regulator in or just shoot the gun as is.
View Quote

Just buy an OSS for it. Easier. That’s what I did and I love it
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Get the HBI High Load Piston Spring...but you should drill the gas block on a 11" gun in combo with the high load spring....
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:

It took me maybe 5 min to figure out the hole size of the existing gas ports and calculate what dia hole to drill into the "0" position on the plug. So if you know an easier way to get a can than that plz share.

As for how bad it is for the gun, iirc CZ has said prolonged use will cause damage. No idea how long that use is, or if there has even been anyone collecting data on it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rum4] [#22]
Interesting thread on a gun I love. SO far no issues with my totally stock 2ms x39. No FTEs or stove pipes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tfdarchos:

Now, I'm asking a huge favor here.... can any of you with a working x39 bren 2 test ejection on a live round (safely please). Try slowly cycling the bolt and then quickly cycling as well.  Thanks!
View Quote

I will get mine out to day and test this for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tfdarchos:

Now, I'm asking a huge favor here.... can any of you with a working x39 bren 2 test ejection on a live round (safely please). Try slowly cycling the bolt and then quickly cycling as well.  Thanks!
View Quote

I did the cycling as you requested and my x39 threw the rounds clear of the gun on all instances. I died a total of 5 times per your request with no issues.
My gun hasn’t given me issues. It’s had about 1000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know what the rail height over bore is? This is for my 11" 5.56 Bren 2 Ms. Don't see anything online or in the user manual.

Emailed CZ USA but no response after several days.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know what the rail height over bore is? This is for my 11" 5.56 Bren 2 Ms. Don't see anything online or in the user manual.

Emailed CZ USA but no response after several days.
View Quote

I believe it's the same as an MCX, 1.55" rail height over bore.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ncitrdude] [#27]
Well, I'm another victim of CZ's absurdly difficult to remove handguard screws (in trying to install the HB handguard). Got 3 of the 4 handguard screws off, 4th is RIDICULOUSLY tight. Completely stripped the T25 head. Tried soaking in WD-40, heating with a heat gun and soldering iron, then Dremeled a slot into what's left of the screw head, and have now stripped that trying to remove it with a flathead. $@#$! The rear screws are also super tight, but i'm giving up on trying to remove those.

Hope the gunsmith is able to deal with the rest. Have no idea why these screws are tightened/Loctited to an utterly insane degree.

Does anyone know where to find replacement handguard screws?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I'm another victim of CZ's absurdly difficult to remove handguard screws (in trying to install the HB handguard). Got 3 of the 4 handguard screws off, 4th is RIDICULOUSLY tight. Completely stripped the T25 head. Tried soaking in WD-40, heating with a heat gun and soldering iron, then Dremeled a slot into what's left of the screw head, and have now stripped that trying to remove it with a flathead. $@#$! The rear screws are also super tight, but i'm giving up on trying to remove those.

Hope the gunsmith is able to deal with the rest. Have no idea why these screws are tightened/Loctited to an utterly insane degree.

View Quote

You can order them directly off the CZ USA store website. With that said, I install the Preston rails on my Brens. I don't care for the hardware that they ship with, and while I tried other screws, I didn't care for those either, so I actually had custom screws made to my specifications.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Take one of the good ones to Fastenal. They almost always have what I need when I'm in a similar situation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I’ve never seen that claim  substantiated…

I’ve definitely heard it a lot but 922r is an import regulation (R) not a law regarding ownership or manufacture of firearms, but somehow out in gun Internet it has become Canonized
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:

I’ve never seen that claim  substantiated…

I’ve definitely heard it a lot but 922r is an import regulation (R) not a law regarding ownership or manufacture of firearms, but somehow out in gun Internet it has become Canonized
View Quote

Actually, it’s not an import regulation.  It’s a regulation prohibiting someone from making a gun that is prohibited from import.  It’s not a regulation on what you can import or not.  It’s about taking a gun that was approved to be imported in a certain configuration, and then changing that configuration to something that wouldn’t be approved for import.

No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

You’re correct in that it’s not an ownership restriction, but it is a making or assembling restriction.  Pistols are exempt from 922r, so there are no restrictions on imported content.  However, when you are making a SBR from a pistol, you are assembling a semiautomatic rifle, and 922r kicks in.  They didn’t put in any expedition for NFA weapons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#32]
922 what?
Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Sorry about that, they're definitely in there.

I applied heat via a small torch then hit each fastener with a torx bit in my 3/8" Milwaukee Fuel impact(small). Worked great.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Got my Bren 2 back from the gunsmith after he removed the stuck screw and completed the HB handguard install for me.

Have not had a chance to shoot it post-install, but the action seems much tighter and less smooth and doesn’t close fully unless you let it go from full open. Wondering if this is a function of the stiffer HB spring that came with the regulator drilling service, or if possibly the handguard was installed incorrectly that is affecting the action.

Anyone know if this is normal?
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my Bren 2 back from the gunsmith after he removed the stuck screw and completed the HB handguard install for me.

Have not had a chance to shoot it post-install, but the action seems much tighter and less smooth and doesn’t close fully unless you let it go from full open. Wondering if this is a function of the stiffer HB spring that came with the regulator drilling service, or if possibly the handguard was installed incorrectly that is affecting the action.

Anyone know if this is normal?
View Quote

No, it's not normal. Start the torque at 35-inch pounds and go up from there, not to exceed 45-inch pounds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone chopped a 16" down to 12.5" for suppressed SBR use?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Not trying to derail or anything but 91 pages is quite the homework assignment. I would like to pick up a Bren 2 14” amd permanently install a muzzle device to achieve a 16” barrel. My main question is are there any durability issues or reliability issues I should know from one barrel length to the next?  Does the gas port being so close to the chamber make much difference in anything in that longer barrel?  Definitely planning on an HB handguard and some form of stock any other “must get” upgrades beyond that?  Also it seems like pmags might be a no go or has the magazine compatibility been addressed since initial release?  

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:
Not trying to derail or anything but 91 pages is quite the homework assignment. I would like to pick up a Bren 2 14" amd permanently install a muzzle device to achieve a 16" barrel. My main question is are there any durability issues or reliability issues I should know from one barrel length to the next?  Does the gas port being so close to the chamber make much difference in anything in that longer barrel?  Definitely planning on an HB handguard and some form of stock any other "must get" upgrades beyond that?  Also it seems like pmags might be a no go or has the magazine compatibility been addressed since initial release?  

Thanks for any input!
View Quote

5.56 or 7.62?

5.56 are good to go in all barrel lengths as far as I'm aware. Mine, 8" and 11" have had zero issues.

x39 guns are another story. Most have had too many issues with these. Pass.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Longslide:

5.56 or 7.62?

5.56 are good to go in all barrel lengths as far as I'm aware. Mine, 8" and 11" have had zero issues.

View Quote

WHOOPS!  I am talking 5.56. I was hoping eventually for the 7.62x39’s to accept regular AK mags but with all the issues they seem to have and a totally different magazine AND now the rising prices of x39 ammo...

What kind of accuracy are you seeing from your 11”?  The 9 Hole review used a 14” and it was basically a tack driver out to 500 yards so that kinda seemed a good length to go with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:

WHOOPS!  I am talking 5.56. I was hoping eventually for the 7.62x39’s to accept regular AK mags but with all the issues they seem to have and a totally different magazine AND now the rising prices of x39 ammo...

What kind of accuracy are you seeing from your 11”?  The 9 Hole review used a 14” and it was basically a tack driver out to 500 yards so that kinda seemed a good length to go with.
View Quote

Lingle makes an AK mag lower.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]

5.56 or 7.62?

View Quote

@Johnny_Longslide

Which barrel length do you prefer more?  I've got an 8 inch gun and am contemplating dumping it for the 11 inch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#42]

@Johnny_Longslide

Which barrel length do you prefer more?  I've got an 8 inch gun and am contemplating dumping it for the 11 inch.
View All Quotes

5.56 or 7.62?

@Johnny_Longslide

@USMC_JA

That's a tough question as It really depends on what you want out of the gun.

I like shooting the 8" but I think most would benefit more from the 11" (or longer) barrel. This is why I have both. Different jobs.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#43]

@USMC_JA

I like shooting the 8" but I think most would benefit more from the 11" (or longer) barrel. This is why I have both. Different jobs.

View Quote

@Johnny_Longslide

Thanks for the response.  Kinda what I figured you might say.  

Let me try to ask a more precise series of questions.  Are you shooting the 8 inch gun with a suppressor?    Sub 10.5 inch 556 guns can be brutal.   Which is a more enjoyable shooting experience (setting aside use)?  

I've got 10.5 and 11.5 inch ARs.   So that "use" or performance envelop is covered.   I'm more curious about comparing the shooting experience.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#44]

@Johnny_Longslide

Let me try to ask a more precise series of questions.  Are you shooting the 8 inch gun with a suppressor?    Sub 10.5 inch 556 guns can be brutal.   Which is a more enjoyable shooting experience (setting aside use)?  

I've got 10.5 and 11.5 inch ARs.   So that "use" or performance envelop is covered.   I'm more curious about comparing the shooting experience.
View All Quotes

@USMC_JA

@Johnny_Longslide

I didn't really want to deal with drilling the gas regulator so unsuppressed, is no biggie for me.  The 11" shoots similar to the 8", maybe a tad "softer" on felt recoil. I do think the 11" would be a better all around gun.

Get an 11". Shoot it. Then decide.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#45]

I didn't really want to deal with drilling the gas regulator so unsuppressed, is no biggie for me.  The 11" shoots similar to the 8", maybe a tad "softer" on felt recoil. I do think the 11" would be a better all around gun.

View Quote

LOL.  The old arfcom "get both."  

I've got my eye on an 11 inch version at a fair price.  Perhaps, I'll do as you suggest.   Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#46]

I've got my eye on an 11 inch version at a fair price.  Perhaps, I'll do as you suggest.   Thanks again.
View All Quotes

I know, right... If these were two different guns, it would probably be easier to differentiate, but as these are essentially the same, it's a bit more difficult. One has a 3" longer barrel and slightly different gas port hole sizes... That's it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#47]

I know, right... If these were two different guns, it would probably be easier to differentiate, but as these are essentially the same, it's a bit more difficult. One has a 3" longer barrel and slightly different gas port hole sizes... That's it.

View Quote

All true.  And I agree that the 11 inch gun would be more flexible and less specialized.  Thus, it is likely the "better" gun absent a specific need for a short barrel.   So we are right back where we started.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
9” is best for 7.63x39 and 11” is best for 5.56.

I say this as someone who has multiple different barrel lengths in each caliber.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#49]

All true.  And I agree that the 11 inch gun would be more flexible and less specialized.  Thus, it is likely the "better" gun absent a specific need for a short barrel.   So we are right back where we started.
View All Quotes

So, get both. I'm glad we agree on this.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#50]
So I ended up going back to page 70 or so and reading from there. Sad to see the issues with the 7.62x39 guns and their patient owners. CZ really could and should be doing better on this. Figure out the fix and get every last one of them in for the update.

Was there ever any indication that the 5.56 guns came out with those extractor / ejector channel issues?  Seems like a strange thing to happen only in the 7.62x39 versions.

Also has anyone installed the HBI piston spring in either the 11” or 14” 5.56 guns?  Is there a benefit?  I assume the spring’s intended function is to reduce bolt / carrier velocity?
Page / 102
CZ Bren 2 (Page 91 of 102)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top