Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 11:25:22 AM EDT
Don't know if this the correct forum to post this in BUT...
I have seen a few things on the web about a new caliber that will be available in the form of an upper that will function on a AR15 lower in 6.8MM or 270 ,if you will. It is being developed for the military to make a short barrel M4 have the killing power it needs. I would like to get one of these in a 20" that would be perfect for hunting. From what I've heard , this round puts out a 130gr.bullet at 2600 fps from a 14". It should get 2800 to 2900 from a 20" and would be the ticket to hunt medium game like deer. Heck, with a Nosler partition, it would make a dandy elk rifle under 300 yards!
So what's the story on this deal? What do you guys know about it? I have seen another one using a 6.5mm bullet that also looks good.

Thanks Guys!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, thanks alot. Just what I've been looking for. Looks like there is a possibility for this thing to really happen. I sure would like to buy one!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Just thought I'd let you guys know the results of my search on this topic. Got a reply from Barrett . They are calling this round a 6.8 Remington since Remington is doing all the development on the round. Remington will release it to the public in early '04. It will be 115 gr in a BTHP, FMJ and a Match King. Barrett will have a weapon system available at the same time called a M468 that will have a 16.5" barrel on an M4 type upper. I want a 20" and will use it for deer hunting! Can't wait.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Given the constraints on bullet length, I doubt a Nosler Partition would work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top