Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/30/2002 9:27:12 AM EDT
I bought a Kimber Stainless II on Election day. I took it out to the range and It shoot really good. The other day I was cleaning it and when I got done I racked the slide a few times and placed an empty mag in it. The I ran into a problem, I could not get the mag in unless I held the mag release. Its like something was getting stuck I had the same problem with both my Factory mags. I am going to take it back to where I bought it next week but I was just wondering if anybody here knew anything about this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:29:09 PM EDT
it's just tight it will get easier over time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:54:11 PM EDT
Hmmm.. As a fellow Kimber owner, I must say that is new to me. Sometimes the mags take a little "light smack" pressure to get them seated. Did it have this problem before you cleaned it?

If it were me, I would check one more time to make sure you got everthing back together right. I have sometimes made a few errors when not paying total attention. Although, I must admit I have a series I, so it may be series specific.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:06:38 PM EDT
I too have to give my mags a smart smack on the bottom to be sure they're seated, but I can easily put one in. Doesn't sound right to me, but I have a classic stainless.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:14:26 PM EDT
Same here.I gotta "smack" mine a little to seat.Nothing outta the ordinary though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:21:55 PM EDT
What's happening is when you try to seat the empty magazine, the follower is pressing up against the slide-lock. Since the slide-lock is down (slide is forward), it takes a little more pressure than you are used to to get it seated.

Try it with the slide locked back, you will still need a little extra pressure to get it to lock in, but not as much as with the slide forward.

There is nothing wrong with your pistol or magazine.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:59:10 PM EDT
So it will begin to wear in after some time?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:28:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
So it will begin to wear in after some time?

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:07:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2002 3:08:53 AM EDT by Sheldon]
At what point does it stop? Just before it's totally seated in the mag well or well before that point? It could be your mag catch/release is hitting the lip of the magazine. I went with a lightened mag release spring and it made things a lot easier both in inserting a mag and in releasing it as well. In another post I read someone suggested checking the shape of the mag release to see that it was a bit beveled where it contacts the lip of the magazine as it is being inserted into the mag well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:04:35 AM EDT
If you can't get the mag's in to fire it, how is it going to wear in after some time. I have a Kimber and never heard of this before. Perhaps you took it apart a little too far and didn't get it back together right. Take it apart and put it back together again. Something is wrong beyond the gun just being new.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:04:35 AM EDT
Could be several things, but probably just "newness". Be very careful of using a lighter spring for the mag catch. With a pistol that might see serious use, you most certainly want a positive engagement here, and the last thing you need is for your magazine to release when you are sitting or moving around while wearing a carry gun...not to mention during movement in a fight!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:09:52 PM EDT
Mine is kinda tight also just give it a smack
Top Top