Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 9:27:12 AM EDT
I bought a Kimber Stainless II on Election day. I took it out to the range and It shoot really good. The other day I was cleaning it and when I got done I racked the slide a few times and placed an empty mag in it. The I ran into a problem, I could not get the mag in unless I held the mag release. Its like something was getting stuck I had the same problem with both my Factory mags. I am going to take it back to where I bought it next week but I was just wondering if anybody here knew anything about this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
it's just tight it will get easier over time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.. As a fellow Kimber owner, I must say that is new to me.  Sometimes the mags take a little "light smack" pressure to get them seated.  Did it have this problem before you cleaned it?

If it were me, I would check one more time to make sure you got everthing back together right.  I have sometimes made a few errors when not paying total attention.  Although, I must admit I have a series I, so it may be series specific.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I too have to give my mags a smart smack on the bottom to be sure they're seated, but I can easily put one in.  Doesn't sound right to me, but I have a classic stainless.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here.I gotta "smack" mine a little to seat.Nothing outta the ordinary though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What's happening is when you try to seat the empty magazine, the follower is pressing up against the slide-lock. Since the slide-lock is down (slide is forward), it takes a little more pressure than you are used to to get it seated.

Try it with the slide locked back, you will still need a little extra pressure to get it to lock in, but not as much as with the slide forward.

There is nothing wrong with your pistol or magazine.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So it will begin to wear in after some time?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So it will begin to wear in after some time?

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
At what point does it stop?  Just before it's totally seated in the mag well or well before that point?  It could be your mag catch/release is hitting the lip of the magazine.  I went with a lightened mag release spring and it made things a lot easier both in inserting a mag and in releasing it as well.  In another post I read someone suggested checking the shape of the mag release to see that it was a bit beveled where it contacts the lip of the magazine as it is being inserted into the mag well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can't get the mag's in to fire it, how is it going to wear in after some time.  I have a Kimber and never heard of this before.  Perhaps you took it apart a little too far and didn't get it back together right.  Take it apart and put it back together again.  Something is wrong beyond the gun just being new.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Could be several things, but probably just "newness". Be very careful of using a lighter spring for the mag catch. With a pistol that might see serious use, you most certainly want a positive engagement here, and the last thing you need is for your magazine to release when you are sitting or moving around while wearing a carry gun...not to mention during movement in a fight!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is kinda tight also just give it a smack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top