Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2017 8:55:12 PM EDT
I was gifted a Nighthawk Predator 5" .45 a few years back and it's outstanding.

I own a couple of TRPs that my smith has added a few touches to.

I'm considering saving toward another 1911. Likely .45 with steel frame but up in the air on Commander or 5"

Nighthawk and Wilson are on the top of the list but I'm open to suggestions.

Rogers Precision always catch my eye.

I'm more about function and "tactical" than blue steel and walnut FYI.

Pictures and personal experience owning/shooting is always best. Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had Les Baer thunder ranch. Wilson CQB, TRP, STI and Wilson Professional. My fav out of those was the CQB for overall form and function. The STI was a sick accurate laser but a little too wide for my hand. The Les Baer was so tight I could barely rack it. The TRP was my least liked because the front checkering 20 lpi was far too aggressive for my hands. Not sure what I would get...maybe a nighthawk, Guncrafter?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few Bears, Wilsons, Springfield custom, Colts, etc but NOTHING, Nothing I
have ever shot comes to target better then the CQB Elite, it is almost magic.
Just a fantastic, well built piece. Next on my list was the Ed Brown Cobra Carry but after reading a thread
on here I am gonna pass on that.
Brown Thread

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the NH Warhawk.

Aggressive checkering and grips are my thing, don't care for adjustable sights or ambi thumb safeties
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else think the Ed Brown chainlink front straps are too slick..?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone else think the Ed Brown chainlink front straps are too slick..?
View Quote
Probably too slick for competition (STI's chainlink is REALLY slick, which sucks) but OK for carry.

When it comes to semi-customs, there are probably more of them I dislike than like, due to whatever reason.  Nighthawk and Wilson, for example, make a lot of ugly guns IMO.   And let's face it, looks are pretty important in high $$ 1911s. There are plenty of accurate and reliable ones, so the differentiator really is styling and features, and to a lesser extent, "soft" features such as value, customer service, etc.

It's a personal choice, so it's up to you to pick something you can live with.  

Full customs are rapidly increasing in cost; a ground-up Rogers gun will probably run you a minimum of $5000 at the least, and could easily hit $7000.   There are a lot of newer, talented builders I'd be looking at instead like Bunker Arms, Combat Precision, Benchmark Precision, etc., that look like a good value.  

Their guns look good but it can be difficult to get a true read on how accurate and reliable they are, because nobody wants to spend thousands on a build and then turn around and badmouth it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Subbed because I'm curious.

ARF is a giant forum and so I'm sure there are a number of 1911 guys around here, but I think you'd have a better thread on a dedicated 1911 forum. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
tagged for more affordable. good custom builders.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Les Baer Thunder Ranch.
Springfield Professional
Ed Brown Special Forces
Wilson Combat CQB
Colt Special Combat Government
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
High end and aesthetics go together.  If tactical is what matters most there are certainly less expensive choices that work as well in terms of reliability and durability.

Personally I do like high end fit and finish as well as great triggers but I'm usually too cheap to go over $2K.  Not like I don't own too many pistols already. Best middle ground to me is something from Dan Wesson.  I have a 5" Valor that has always exceeded my expectations.  Would like another from their line up.

Of course, in an age of plastic pistols where the goodness of a true custom 1911 is lost upon most, might be a good time to pick up something on the used market as opposed to seeking something fresh off the bench.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I just have three, none of which I paid over $1000 used. A Les Baer, a Briley, and a Jim Clark Sr built one that was built the old fashioned way. Not as pretty but runs like shit through a goose.

The Briley really isn't all that well known but it was built by someone who knew what they were doing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
In my experience the Les Baers shoot every bit as well as the Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns and they can be had for about 60% of the price of the others.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I dunno.   If you are spending the money go full custom.  All the manufacturers mentioned here are great and resale will be preserved.  You'll be happy.  

A local guy has worked on several of my machine guns and he is a 1911 guy.  Super meticulous and honest.   I'm going that route. I know that doesn't help your situation, but maybe there is someone local to you that is talented like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my experience the Les Baers shoot every bit as well as the Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns and they can be had for about 60% of the price of the others.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Best middle ground to me is something from Dan Wesson.  I have a 5" Valor that has always exceeded my expectations.  Would like another from their line up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:Best middle ground to me is something from Dan Wesson.  I have a 5" Valor that has always exceeded my expectations.  Would like another from their line up.
I can happily cast a vote for the Valor. I've got a 5" in stainless that is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I wouldn't consider it "high end", but it is an amazing gun and I don't think there's a better 1911 (or possibly gun, period) that is better value for the money.

Quoted:
I just have three, none of which I paid over $1000 used. A Les Baer, a Briley, and a Jim Clark Sr built one that was built the old fashioned way. Not as pretty but runs like shit through a goose.

The Briley really isn't all that well known but it was built by someone who knew what they were doing.
I've got a Briley that's something of a family heirloom and it's incredible. Mid-90s build. Great gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can happily cast a vote for the Valor. I've got a 5" in stainless that is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I wouldn't consider it "high end", but it is an amazing gun and I don't think there's a better 1911 (or possibly gun, period) that is better value for the money.

I've got a Briley that's something of a family heirloom and it's incredible. Mid-90s build. Great gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe Claudio Salassa was in charge at that time. .I think mine is from around that era also.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
From my vast experience of one "high end" 1911 I have nothing but good to say about Les Baer. I've had my UTC for 10 months with approximately 3500 rounds through it so far with zero issues besides taking it apart is a chore. I do have a TRP Operator that is a fine pistol but is a production gun and for about $500 more you can buy a Les Bear.
Attachment Attached File

Range pic from yesterday. I'm working on 2k without cleaning for shits and grins.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to add to the Les Baer camp. I scored my first one sight unseen from Buds for like $800 a few years back, and the damn thing just shoots and shoots and shoots. Got me into competition shooting when I didn't know anything and it just doesn't want to miss.

Recently added a TRS with some slim Larry Davidson g10 grips. It's my favorite gun to carry, shoot, keep next to the bed. The bluing is wearing from honest use. I see so many pictures of Wilson et al with no wear, marks, or anything. Go look at the 1911forum picture thread. Baers are meant to shoot. Mine has night sights, a nice leather holster for EDC and kydex for matches, and a steady diet of reloads to +p carry rounds. Head shot steel targets at 25 yards all day, it makes me look good.

I think if I won the lottery I would get a few STI 2011 tacticals in 9mm (or SVI, shit forgot about them, check them out) with rails and lasers and a can and crap. But I would get a Baer collection and use them as my EDC/Truck gun, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Not mine, but this is what I am probably going to go for next.    Evolution Armory build.   Ion bond finish.  

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160305/ddbf9b987ec57ac414a1165333be6099.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#19]
As has been mentioned a couple of times already, I have a Dan Wesson Silverback that is a great value for a nice gun. Not up there with the real custom jobs, but it does push the envelope against some of those guys for a lot less money.

The difference in money to take a small step up in quality is significant. Only you can decide where you want to draw the line obviously.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you ended up with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Springfields, Colts, and Dan Wessons.  All three brands are forged receiver and slide.  The higher level Dan Wessons have forged controls too.

I use all of them in competition.  The Springfields have had thousands and thousands of rounds through them.  The guns just get smoother and smoother with use.  I've been migrating to Dan Wesson guns over the past year.  Very nice guns.  They are supremely accurate and reliable.

I would be happy to shoot any of those three brands on any given day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aggressive checkering and grips are my thing, don't care for adjustable sights or ambi thumb safeties
Guncrafter is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad this thread came up. I am looking hard at a Dan Wesson Valor 10mm Duty Finish. It is just under $2k and that is about as high I can justify for what I am going to use it for. Are there any sites I am overlooking where deals come up? I am looking at Grab A Gun or Bud's for my Valor. I would love one from one of the other manufacturers but I just can't see myself paying $5k without having to retain a divorce attorney too!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Those site's prices look pretty competitive.

I didn't know they made a Valor in 10mm. I bet that's awesome.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
tagged for more affordable. good custom builders.
View Quote
Check out Roberts defense!
I have a 5" 9mm and my dad has a 4.25" with rmr.  Outstanding guns. I compare them to my kimbers and Les baers.  Obviously way way better than a kimber. Anyway around 2k give or take. One pistolsmith one gun no assembly line.
  You can call and talk to the guy that is building your gun! 3 month wait I think is average for them.
  Not many others were u can get hand built hand fit everything from the ground up for around 2 grand.

Sorry Photobucket won't let me upload my pics... I'll gladly email them if someone wants to see ours. Otherwise they have website and Facebook
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

Gratuitous 1911 pic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Rogers Precision isn't taking anymore work or orders right now until he gets caught up.

I should know, I'm his test shooter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Any projected time frame on Rogers taking on new projects...?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Pick up a Cabot meteorite for a mere 4.5 million.

That's some high end shit
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're serious about this, I can call him and ask. But you have to be 100% committed otherwise it's wasting his time to catch up on the backlogged work. If you email direct through his site and he doesn't respond, keeping sending email inquiries. Nothing personal, he's just really backlogged and he's anally retentive to doing the work. Nothing leaves his shop unless he's without a doubt that it's perfect because if not, it has his name and work on it and he doesn't want shit with his name leaving his shop.

On the odd chance miracle that he does accept it, let him know what ammunition that you'd like to see it tested with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#30]
True high end means jumping on the wait list from one of the smiths over at Louder than Words. It means years of waiting and a one of a kind custom. One of those smiths, who no longer accepts orders because his wait list is so long, recommends Guncrafter. In his opinion they are some of the best built guns available today.

It can help to think about things in terms of pricing/features.

Production: Springfield, Colt, Wesson
Semi-custom: RRA Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson (stocking models), Nighthawk (stocking models)
Custom: Harrison, Burton, etc
Unobtainium: Christiansen, Sam Chen, etc

One thing to keep in mind is that the Nighthawk and Wilson stocked models aren't really customs. Sure they are hand built, but they aren't custom to you. That doesn't mean they aren't great guns, but it does mean you may have trouble getting all your money back (common in the high end 1911 world), and that you may shoot it for a while and realize there are some small things you wish you would have changed. The problem I generally have with Wilson and Nighthawk is that you are paying an extra $500 to $1000 for cosmetic finishing over what you'd pay for a Les Baer or RRA. That may be worth it to some people, but it isn't to me.

What do you want your gun to do? Have a rail? Shoot 1.5" at 25 yards? Shoot 1.5" at 50 yards? Have a bullet proof finish? Impress friends at the back yard BBQ?

Take a hard look at both the RRA custom carry and Les Baer's standard 5" gun. If you get the railed version, put Sam Chen's magwell on ($600 or so from a good smith) and throw on a pair of Trijicon HD's, VZ Gunner Grips, and IonBond it, you've got as good a "tactical" 1911 pistol as is available anywhere. And you're probably in the Wilson CQB ballpark, but now you have a great magwell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you're serious about this, I can call him and ask. But you have to be 100% committed otherwise it's wasting his time to catch up on the backlogged work. If you email direct through his site and he doesn't respond, keeping sending email inquiries. Nothing personal, he's just really backlogged and he's anally retentive to doing the work. Nothing leaves his shop unless he's without a doubt that it's perfect because if not, it has his name and work on it and he doesn't want shit with his name leaving his shop.

On the odd chance miracle that he does accept it, let him know what ammunition that you'd like to see it tested with.
View Quote
Very kind offer.... since I'm still shopping  and saving I won't ask to pull the favor card.

Thank you and I may take you up on that in the future when I have cash in hand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
True high end means jumping on the wait list from one of the smiths over at Louder than Words. It means years of waiting and a one of a kind custom. One of those smiths, who no longer accepts orders because his wait list is so long, recommends Guncrafter. In his opinion they are some of the best built guns available today.

It can help to think about things in terms of pricing/features.

Production: Springfield, Colt, Wesson
Semi-custom: RRA Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson (stocking models), Nighthawk (stocking models)
Custom: Harrison, Burton, etc
Unobtainium: Christiansen, Sam Chen, etc

One thing to keep in mind is that the Nighthawk and Wilson stocked models aren't really customs. Sure they are hand built, but they aren't custom to you. That doesn't mean they aren't great guns, but it does mean you may have trouble getting all your money back (common in the high end 1911 world), and that you may shoot it for a while and realize there are some small things you wish you would have changed. The problem I generally have with Wilson and Nighthawk is that you are paying an extra $500 to $1000 for cosmetic finishing over what you'd pay for a Les Baer or RRA. That may be worth it to some people, but it isn't to me.

What do you want your gun to do? Have a rail? Shoot 1.5" at 25 yards? Shoot 1.5" at 50 yards? Have a bullet proof finish? Impress friends at the back yard BBQ?

Take a hard look at both the RRA custom carry and Les Baer's standard 5" gun. If you get the railed version, put Sam Chen's magwell on ($600 or so from a good smith) and throw on a pair of Trijicon HD's, VZ Gunner Grips, and IonBond it, you've got as good a "tactical" 1911 pistol as is available anywhere. And you're probably in the Wilson CQB ballpark, but now you have a great magwell.
View Quote
Solid advice....

Chen magwells are high on my list.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Before I retired I carried a Sig Stainless Elite .40 P229 for about 6 years on/off duty. Once I retired I sold that Sig and started carrying my Night Hawk Custom Recon Enforcer 10mm and have been for the last 2 1/2 years. It's the best, most accurate, and most reliable 1911 pistol I've ever owned in 40 years of collecting various guns. I also own two Dan Wesson 10mm 1911 pistols. They're great pistols, but, they're still not in the league of the NHC. If I was to buy another 1911 pistol I'd get a NHC or a Wilson Combat, without hesitation.

My NHC.
https://postimg.org/image/es2h33hd9/]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a 10mm fan.... Glock 20 for now but one day I'll have a 5" 1911 in 10mm with fully supported chamber
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#35]
LTWGUNS.COM
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#36]
If you want a really high end You can contact SV Infinity.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you want a really high end You can contact SV Infinity.
View Quote
Infinity makes nice guns but definitely geared more toward competition than carry
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Infinity makes nice guns but definitely geared more toward competition than carry
View Quote
They will build you a perfectly tactical single stack.  Play with their gunbuilder program a while to see the possibilities.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
They lack some of the little hand fit touches like Wilson likes to do. Carry bevel, etc.  Still wonderful guns though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I think I'm likely gonna be in the semi-custom price range.

Most of the full custom stuff is $5K plus.

I'm more in the $2K-3K arena.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think I'm likely gonna be in the semi-custom price range.

Most of the full custom stuff is $5K plus.

I'm more in the $2K-3K arena.
View Quote
If that's your price range, I'd highly recommend taking a long look at the Dan Wesson Valor. It's very much on the bottom end of your scale, but as I mentioned before, it's outstanding value for the money on top of being an objectively very nice gun.

That price range puts you right in the wheelhouse for "pre-made customs". If it were me, I'd be looking at lots of Wilson Combat and Ed Brown guns. Might also look into the Springfield FBI guns, depending upon your level of patience or willingness to buy second hand.

This was a good listen and relevant to our discussion:
http://www.practicallytactical.com/episodes/2017/8/18/hanging-out-with-dave-from-defensive-creations-talking-about-hi-powers-1911-chat-gunsmithing-understanding-manufacturing-what-makes-a-custom-1911
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#42]
There are some awesome deals on Nighthawk Custom out there right now.  I found a Warhawk compact for $3139 on a website in just a few minutes of looking.  That's about $860 off of the msrp of that model if I didn't already have a NHC Costa Compact it'd be mine.  I have 2 Nighthawks, 2 Les Baers, 1 Dan Wesson & have owned many others.  The Nighthawks imho are best semi custom 1911s out there, they will do a lot custom work too.  My Hawks
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#43]
LGS near me has a Christensen Arms 1911 that has sat there for a while. It is a 5" with rail and a reasonable price. They also have a couple Nighthawks too. I have no connection with the store other than I drool there occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#44]
The Dan Wessons are nice and their reputation is excellent. I have a store close to me that carries their full line and has several guns on the shelf from Wilson, Brown, NH, Cabot, Baer, etc... I keep coming back to NH. Seems like they make a lot of guns I want. ??$
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I've seen the Christiansen Arms 1911s too; they don't look to be up to the same level of fit and finish of traditional semi-customs.  There was no way I was going to consider paying $3500 for one.

Some others you may want to consider:

Republic Forge, Fusion, Ithaca
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Let's talk high end 1911s.
View Quote
Any 1911 built, modified, or otherwise customized by Master Pistolsmith, Vic Tibbets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread is going to cost me some money, BTW. Ugh...

EDIT:
FWIW, I made a short list of guns I have no need for but because of this thread I'm now researching.

Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special
Wilson Combat EDC X9
Ed Brown Special Forces
Ed Brown Special Forces Carry
Ed Brown Kobra Carry
Springfield Professional
Dan Wesson V-Bob
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Baer and the DW Valor are a damn good value around $1,800 to 2,000. With as well as they shoot, I personally cannot justify the cost of a new Wilson or Nighthawk (used might be different).
That said, I would love to have a Wilson CQB Elite in 9mm, well because.
I'll now go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Baer and the DW Valor are a damn good value around $1,800 to 2,000. With as well as they shoot, I personally cannot justify the cost of a new Wilson or Nighthawk (used might be different).
That said, I would love to have a Wilson CQB Elite in 9mm, well because.
I'll now go be poor somewhere else.
View Quote
They aren't for everyone, I didn't like any of the Wilsons I've owned from the Supergrade to the CQB Elites to the plain ol CQB, they just weren't for me. Now my Baer, I'll die owning that gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They aren't for everyone, I didn't like any of the Wilsons I've owned from the Supergrade to the CQB Elites to the plain ol CQB, they just weren't for me. Now my Baer, I'll die owning that gun.
View Quote
For some reason, I just can't get excited about Baer guns. The only one I've ever handled was a Premier II. Super nice gun, but just doesn't move the needle for me. If you were to suggest one to me to try to change my opinion, what would it be?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top