Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2017 5:23:40 PM EDT
I recently purchased a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry, love the gun and the reliability.  However, yesterday the grip safety "came lose", and it now moves freely side to side without resistance and actually jingles when you move around with it holstered.  I ordered a shipping label from them, and as things happen I will update people.  I have read the stories about their customer service, but so far it seems pretty standard leaning towards above average.  The representative has been polite and quick to respond, I hope their attitudes continue to be positive and I can get my gun back to keep putting holes in paper.  I will update this post as things progress.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Please do update, Cobra Carry was next on my list of "got to have" guns. I went with wilson and Baers so far.
Need a Brown and Nighthawk to round it out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
deerranger, Not a problem, I also have a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm that won't get through a magazine I am sending in for service.  That gun has been a nightmare since day one, I am now the proud owner of Wesson mags, checkmate factory mags, and Wilson combat 9mm 1911 mags ( 19 in total ).  
The Brown has run flawlessly from day one, and even with the lose grip safety is still 100% reliable.  This included 200 rounds of 230 gr Fed HST standard pressure.  I love the gun, and from what i've read it shouldnt be a huge deal.  
Sometimes tools fail, the issue becomes not that it failed but how does the manufacturer respond to the issue.  
( And, I am very jealous of your collection )
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
When I got my first Les Baer it would jam on the 6th or 7th round every time, I put around 100 rounds through it and called them, They for some reason put Les on the phone right away. He told me Dont call back untill you have 500 rounds through it, Dont clean it, just keep shooting it the way it is, if it jams once after 500 rounds then call back and ask for him".
I was like Holy Crap, I just talked to Les Baer, damn. Sure enough after 500 rounds it has never ever jammed again yet. I bought another Baer since.
All my 1911's run best with Chip Micormic Mags. But all said and done my Wilson just feels and shoot the very best so far.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Kobra Carry but haven't needed to use the warranty process, thank goodness. These are finely made guns & shoot wonderfully.

OP, sounds to me like something broke in your grip safety rather than was a fitment issue, IMO. Ed Brown parts are usually regarded as bulletproof, so it's a bit surprising that something might've broken.

For a LW 1911-style carry, the Kobra Carry is the best one on the market, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ed Brown does seem to be very well built, and I am hoping it is simply a defective spring. I just want to explain the process of how you return a gun to Ed Brown,
I contacted Justin in customer service, he responded quickly and has been helpful.  He said go to the website, click services and buy the basic package, $99 dollars.  At first I wasn't pleased I had to buy anything but after considering the cost of freight alone back and forth it's a good deal.  You drop the gun off with Fed ex, Brown receives it, and fixes the issue with the grip safety.  They clean the gun in a sonic solution, i've read about those cleaning kits but never used one, and they replace the recoil spring and anything else that may need to be adjusted.  When I get the gun back I will post an update but everything seems to be heading in the right direction, and the customer service seems good so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Ed Brown does seem to be very well built, and I am hoping it is simply a defective spring. I just want to explain the process of how you return a gun to Ed Brown,
I contacted Justin in customer service, he responded quickly and has been helpful.  He said go to the website, click services and buy the basic package, $99 dollars.  At first I wasn't pleased I had to buy anything but after considering the cost of freight alone back and forth it's a good deal.  You drop the gun off with Fed ex, Brown receives it, and fixes the issue with the grip safety.  They clean the gun in a sonic solution, i've read about those cleaning kits but never used one, and they replace the recoil spring and anything else that may need to be adjusted.  When I get the gun back I will post an update but everything seems to be heading in the right direction, and the customer service seems good so far.
View Quote
SO you have to buy a $99 package to return a gun on warrantee? That dont seem right. When I had a issue with a Sig 556 they sent a shipping label and paid for everything both ways. Same with my Ruger,
that had to go back, I dont understand. Thanks for the update, keep us posted please.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry, love the gun and the reliability.  However, yesterday the grip safety "came lose", and it now moves freely side to side without resistance and actually jingles when you move around with it holstered.  I ordered a shipping label from them, and as things happen I will update people.  I have read the stories about their customer service, but so far it seems pretty standard leaning towards above average.  The representative has been polite and quick to respond, I hope their attitudes continue to be positive and I can get my gun back to keep putting holes in paper.  I will update this post as things progress.
View Quote

Having to pay Ed Brown $99.00 to make things right under warranty isn't really customer service at all IMO.

S&W,  for example, had Fed Ex pick up my 1911 right from my home and replaced it with a new unit totally free of charge including shipping.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
[color=#ff0000]I recently purchased a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry,[/color]

Quoted:
View Quote
I have heard similar and worse stories before.......  I just don't see how on a relatively new gun (especially of that caliber) it should cost the owner a nickle.

Sounds like you really like the gun i hope they get it fixed fast and relatively painless on your wallet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ed Brown Website:

Do you have a written warranty on your products?

Yes, we have a written warranty. If you ever need service on your Ed Brown firearm, we are here for you. It doesn't matter what the reason is, how old it is, or whether you are the original owner. We never look for reasons to turn away service calls...if you've got an Ed Brown firearm and you have a problem, we are here to help you.

In addition to the excellent service we offer, effective April 10, 2007, all Ed Brown firearms include a legal written limited lifetime warranty as well. We are the only high end 1911 manufacturer to our knowledge who offers a legal written lifetime warranty on firearms, which demonstrates the confidence we have in our product. Anyone can claim their service is the best (and most do), but to go a step further and put it in writing in a legal warranty is something that Ed Brown Products, Inc. does, and the others avoid.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Basic Service Package
The Basic Service Package is an unbeatable deal for sending your firearm to our facility, offered for Ed Brown firearms only, old or new. Perfect for repairs, upgrades, routine maintenance, or issues covered by warranty. It includes the following:

*FedEx 2nd day Air, round trip shipping, fully insured. A return label will be emailed to you.
*A complete evaluation of your firearm. You will receive a call from one of our technicians when your firearm is received, to review your requests. Our expert gunsmithing team will do a complete inspection and evaluation, and offer recommendations. If any issues are found, or if any parts should be replaced, our sales staff will contact you with our recommendations, and obtain your approval before proceeding with any work.
*A complete UltraSonic cleaning, if needed.
*Spring replacement (recoil spring and mainspring), if needed.
*Test firing, ammunition, and range fees, if needed.

You can add additional services below to your cart, and can explain why you are sending your firearm in for service on the checkout page. Our sales staff will review your requests before any charges are made, and contact you if we have any questions before proceeding with the email label.

Basic Service Package$99.00
Qty:
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI, that $99 for shipping is actually 3 day shipping. It costs Ed Brown about $60. You aren't saving anything because you are pricing overnight air (which is correct) versus the 3 day shipping Brown uses.

Even though FedEx and UPS require next day air, ed Brown only does 3 day. If your gun gets lost/stolen it might be a headache to get any claims covered as ed Brown is violating the shippers rules
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The fact that they are charging $99 dollars and not covering the freight is less than desirable.  I agree.  

The freight is NOT 3 day, it is 2 day shipping.  It says 2 day on the label, and I ran the tracking to confirm it is two day.  Not sure why anyone thinks 2 day is 3 day?

-I dropped it off a fedex last night, the clerk asked what was in the box, I said it's a handgun.  Being in NY state I wasn't sure how he would react, he took a laminated piece of paper from under the counter and confirmed Ed Brown was on this list.  I asked him what the list was, he said if it's a gun they have to make sure the gun company is on their list.  There had to be over 100 names on the list, but I don't know why there is a list or what issues have occured in the past with fed ex and gun companies.  

The Kobra Carry is by far my favorite 1911 that I have shot.  Pure opinion, and opinions definitely vary and mine isn't the be all end all of opinions.  I also think it is one of the best looking (just another opinion, no more or less valid than anyone elses).  I have shot several wilsons, and two nighthawks as well as plenty of springfields, kimbers, colts.....    

I fully understand something either broke, or came loose that holds the grip safety but the fit and finish on the gun is Amazing.  The accuracy (I don't claim to be a great shot) is amazing for a pistol, especially a 4.25" gun.  I have been messing around at 50 yards with it standing, not cheating on a bag or bench, and center mass shots are very repeatable for me.  Again, I am not saying other pistols can't do the exact same thing, or maybe better, but for me this is great so I'm pleased.  

Thanks,
                                                         Woody
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the update Woody, eager to see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Update- The package took two days to get from NY to Missouri via fed ex.  Ed brown sent me (not him obviously) a confirmation that they received it, a description of what I asked them to do, and a description of what else they were going to do.  This all happened the same day they received the pistol.  It also gives me a number to call to discuss the progress, and says they will call me before they ship it back to discuss what they have found and what they ended up doing.  So far, so good.
                                         -Woody
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Update-  Justin in customer service has been extremely helpful.  I have a gun at Dan Wesson being repaired, I wrote about that in another thread, and they say it will take 4-6 weeks to resolve the issue.  Ed Brown on the other hand was calling me the same day they received my gun, yes a human being calling and E mailing when they couldn't reach me.  They agree the grip safety had come loose, but they called before they fixed it.  They told me my gun was built several years ago, and even though I bought it new, it was new old stock basically from the dealer I bought it from.  What that meant is that they had changed the grip safety since my gun was built, mine is a cast part that isn't adjustable so it might come loose again.  A new grip safety, which is a machined part and adjustable will not come loose.  Instead of having them fix my grip safety I opted for the new one to prevent future issues.  I think that is in the $150 range for the part and install.   I told them to go ahead yesterday, the gun was finished today, including refinishing the finish on the SS.  
I also was thinking my night sights are very dull, which is now explained by how old they are.  I am having them replace the sights, Justin again answered all of my questions about what sights they have, and what normally works best on their slides.  He has plenty of personal experience and if asked he offered his opinion on different brands of sights and how they have worked out on Kobra carry guns.  
Simply put, this has been top tier customer service thus far.  The gun isn't back to me, so the gunsmithing I can't comment on.  The customer service has been the opposite of what I have read from some people.  
                                       -Woody
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the update man. Not sure what to think, your laying out at least $250 more for a gun you just bought. You didnt mention how much the sights would be. If the old style grip safety was not up to par should they not replace it with the new parts? Without charge? I am disappointed. Glad they were so helpful, but it is not your fault it is new old stock. Unless the dealer gave you a heck of a deal on it. Are you a really easy going guy or what? I would be a little fired up I think. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be pissed at that kind of service. I'm pissed just reading it.

Quoted:
Thanks for the update man. Not sure what to think, your laying out at least $250 more for a gun you just bought. You didnt mention how much the sights would be. If the old style grip safety was not up to par should they not replace it with the new parts? Without charge? I am disappointed. Glad they were so helpful, but it is not your fault it is new old stock. Unless the dealer gave you a heck of a deal on it. Are you a really easy going guy or what? I would be a little fired up I think. Am I wrong?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would be pissed at that kind of service. I'm pissed just reading it.
View Quote
Thanks for the update.......I will definitely pass on any Ed Brown products.  That's shitty CS.    You shouldn't have to pay for something that was a manufacturing defect.  That part shouldn't have broke.  They must have known, because they came up with a "new" part to address the issue.  In most parts of the world, that is known as a "recall."  They should have replaced it and shipped it on their dime.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Update-  Justin in customer service has been extremely helpful.  I have a gun at Dan Wesson being repaired, I wrote about that in another thread, and they say it will take 4-6 weeks to resolve the issue.  Ed Brown on the other hand was calling me the same day they received my gun, yes a human being calling and E mailing when they couldn't reach me.  They agree the grip safety had come loose, but they called before they fixed it.  They told me my gun was built several years ago, and even though I bought it new, it was new old stock basically from the dealer I bought it from.  What that meant is that they had changed the grip safety since my gun was built, mine is a cast part that isn't adjustable so it might come loose again.  A new grip safety, which is a machined part and adjustable will not come loose.  Instead of having them fix my grip safety I opted for the new one to prevent future issues.  I think that is in the $150 range for the part and install.   I told them to go ahead yesterday, the gun was finished today, including refinishing the finish on the SS.  
I also was thinking my night sights are very dull, which is now explained by how old they are.  I am having them replace the sights, Justin again answered all of my questions about what sights they have, and what normally works best on their slides.  He has plenty of personal experience and if asked he offered his opinion on different brands of sights and how they have worked out on Kobra carry guns.  
Simply put, this has been top tier customer service thus far.  The gun isn't back to me, so the gunsmithing I can't comment on.  The customer service has been the opposite of what I have read from some people.  
                                       -Woody
View Quote
Thanks for the update most people don't finish the story.

I don't understand how you think thats good customer service but to each their own.  
Paying to have your gun fixed isn't a lifetime warranty on the product by most of our expectations.
It's good that you made people aware of the service they get though.

I hope you get many a trouble free year from it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm still a little pissed off so I let [email protected] know how I feel about it and sent them this link to this thread.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm still a little pissed off so I let [email protected] know how I feel about it and sent them this link to this thread.
View Quote
Good thinking, maybe the attitude is "anyone that can afford one of our guns should not have a problem forking over another 2-3-400 bucks" I have never had to return my Wilson but Les Baer treated me like gold with a small problem.
Not so sure this is still my next "got to have gun" anymore.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Just some general thoughts on the multiple comments.
-They did not offer to pay for the shipping, that part is indisputable.  You are on the hook for $99 to ship the gun to them, and back to you.  They do replace springs, and sonic clean the gun (chemical cleaning solution?)
-With the $99 dollar charge to get it to them they replaced my grip screws and loc tighted them in at my request.  They adjusted the grip safety and replaced the spring.  This was all covered.  
-They told me there was a "new", compared to the age of my gun, grip safety and told me they could replace it and what it would cost.  He said the older model didn't usually have any issue, but that it wasn't adjustable and they newer model was a much better part.  Interpret that how you like, but my gun was fixed and going to ship out when he told me this, and I authorized him to change the part.  I don't have any experience with other brands regarding something like this so I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't.
-As for their actual customer service, the human part, they have been fantastic.  Justin has personally helped answer all of my questions via phone and E mail.  

For the sake of comparison (not that they are equal) - My dan wesson guardian in 9mm was bought brand new, and was a recent production.  After a little over a thousand rounds through it I couldn't get it function through an entire magazine.  Tried diff ammo, mags, ultimately at Wessons suggestion I ordered different oil.  The gun wouldn't run. They sent me a shipping label, but Im over 700 bucks into the gun between the ammo and 18 mags I bought for it.  Is that better customer service?  You decide.  

As for the gun itself, I shot the Ed Brown, I shot a 10mm nighthawk (not sure of the model) and someone had two springfield TRPs.  Everyone liked the Ed Brown the best out of the group.  It obviously wasn't a apples to apples comparison but the fit and finish and accuracy is very impressive.  

-I also chose to have the sights put on, it didn't necessarily need them but the night sights were dim and the gun was there already.....
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Brown always has an excuse as to why an issue with their guns isn't under warranty and why the customer has to pay for an upgrade or have it fixed. The excuse of it being an old style grip safety is pure bullshit. They got you to pay for their own screwup, and you were glad to do it.

I'll gladly charge someone a $100 to clean a gun, change a recoil spring, locktite some screws, and put a slight bend in a sear spring.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Joe you have every right to your opinion, however ignoring mathematical facts you do not.  I didn't pay 100 bucks to have a gun cleaned and adjusted..... The $100 bucks covers the freight, Fed ex 2 day shipping in both directions.  Find out what that freight costs, my box weighed 6.4 pounds when it shipped and you can let me know if you still want to clean someones gun, replace springs, and bend a sear spring for the money that is left after Fed ex is paid.  

I think part of the problem is Ed Brown has had a reputation for so long, so many people are looking for something to attack regarding them.
-They fixed my grip safety, they offered the new one as an option I had to pay for.  Interpret that as you will, but know they fixed the grip safety first.
                                                          -Woody
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have every right to my opinion because they screwed me twice, and tried to make it three times.

It was their part that was out of spec, and they should have replaced it rather than charge you Msrp on a new part that costs them a fraction of what they sell it for.  They made money off you, on what was supposedly a new gun

And yes, when they screwed me I did look at the shipping costs. They were using 3 day delivery and made over $30 as each shipping was around $33. However I shouldn't have had to pay a dime for them to fix a mistake they made.

So basically they got you to pay for both ways shipping, buy a replacement part for something they said was inferior but in spec, and pay to upgrade your sights (which you could have sent to trijicon and had them replace the lamps for $12-20). They made money off you.

That is why people on this thread are confused why you claim this is good customer services. You just got taken for more money and are happy about it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Just as a comparison,if you send a gun back to Springfield Armory, they mail you a shipping label , for free. You put your gun in a box with a description of what is wrong. In a week or two, your gun shows back up at your house fixed......for free.

Paying $100 for shipping and then having to buy new parts doesn't really sound like warrantee work to me. It sounds like retail sales.

Also, how is a grip safety adjustable, other than filing metal or bending a spring? What is an adjustable grip safety?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Joe, I wasn't aware you had any dealings with them, and as I said you are definitely entitled to your opinion.  I assumed, my fault, that you were criticizing without having any personal experience.  I'm sorry.  Can you roughly explain what happened with your dealings with them?
                                       -Woody
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just as a comparison,if you send a gun back to Springfield Armory, they mail you a shipping label , for free. You put your gun in a box with a description of what is wrong. In a week or two, your gun shows back up at your house fixed......for free.

Paying $100 for shipping and then having to buy new parts doesn't really sound like warrantee work to me. It sounds like retail sales.

Also, how is a grip safety adjustable, other than filing metal or bending a spring? What is an adjustable grip safety?
View Quote
You can bend the sear spring arm that applies pressure to the grip safety. Putting more pressure against the safety helps eliminate rattle. You can buy shims that help remove any side to side play if the grip safety is loose between the frame tangs.

The grip safety itself isn't really adjustable.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Joe, I wasn't aware you had any dealings with them, and as I said you are definitely entitled to your opinion.  I assumed, my fault, that you were criticizing without having any personal experience.  I'm sorry.  Can you roughly explain what happened with your dealings with them?
                                       -Woody
View Quote
Long story, and there is a thread here somewhere.

Bought a brand new special forces railed model online. Frame tangs were not blended properly, leaving a sharp edge that would cut you if you tried to get a firing grip. Called to get warranty work, and talked to ed. He was a real prick. Basically told me if I don't like how they do things to stick with Wilson/Nighthawk, etc. I wrote them off

Several years later, people told me that ed was gone and Justin would fix me up. Sent Justin some pics, and he said it was definitely not how it should be fit. He sent me a shipping label. Later he accused me of having the safety done elsewhere and it wasn't their fault. Took a lot of work to get them to admit that it left their shop that way, as it would be really really difficult to get a matching finish o the gun, blah, blah, blah. Justin then says the fit is within spec and not a warranty issue. Says I have to buy their $100 package to get it fixed or I can buy their $100 package to get the gun sent back to me and get the cleaning and new springs. Refused to ship it back without buying a $100 package. So I had to buy it either way. Gave him my cc and said to fix it and ship it back don't need a cleaning or springs on an unfired gun. A few days later got a call from a woman says I need to pay another $100 again for cleaning and springs. Told her I ain't paying for cleaning and springs on an Unfired gun. Asked to speak to Justin, and was told I'd have to wait till the following week. When I finally get ahold of Justin, he said that I owed them $100 and demanded payment by certified funds. Refused to ship the gun back until I paid it.

Fuck ed brown.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I've returned guns to Colt, Dan Wesson, and Springfield and never paid a dime.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
After seeing this thread Ed Brown is off of my list forever.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After seeing this thread Ed Brown is off of my list forever.
View Quote
QFT.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can bend the sear spring arm that applies pressure to the grip safety. Putting more pressure against the safety helps eliminate rattle. You can buy shims that help remove any side to side play if the grip safety is loose between the frame tangs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woody,
Did you ask about the noise on the grip tang on another board?  I could have sworn I said to bend the spring to someone concerning a name brand custom.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Charging someone for parts and repairs allegedly made to a NIB pistol under warranty  is not customer service IMO;  and "old stock" NIB vs "new stock" NIB means nothing to a customer who bought a NIB gun from a dealer,  with Ed Brown's name on it.

That's a lot of nonsense and expense for someone who bought an Ed Brown NIB from a dealer and I've heard that very same story and worse, time and again.

It's a story that reminds me never to buy an Ed Brown regardless of how nice looking they are.

Sometimes the emperor really doesn't  have any clothes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I would tend to agree with the criticisms of the Ed Brown warranty service/parts:

> So EB charges around $3K for a new pistol, If they are all made to spec and they
claim they use the very best materials (tool steel/bar stock) and manufacturing
methods (CNC manufacturing) then how did their brand new pistol fail (I have
never had a 1911 grip safety fail)...?

> Sorry, if I purchase a $3K pistol and it fails due to a part defect or bad QC they
should be on the hook for shipping and repair work...

> How can a 1911 grip safety be adjustable (other than final fitting work which
would not really count) ?

>To be fair, I have never had a problem with EB 1911 parts...with that said, why
would you charge a EB customer $150 for a part that can be purchased for $39 ?

Anyway, good luck with the OP's journey and the repair work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow! That is terrible customer service! Especially for such a high end gun! I actually can't barely believe that they made u buy a "package" for $100 just to ship it to them!  That's bull! And to throw in a "sonic" cleaning is just stupid and lazy.  I would and do prefer an old fashioned detail strip cleaning!  It doesn't take that long even if it's a filthy gun.  I bet they don't even  100% detail strip it before the bath either!!! Just blow it out with compressed air after.
   And at the company I work for, if we have a faulty part and upgrade it with a newer version and a customer sends in the product with one of the bad parts we replace it for free with a new one. We don't even bother fixing the old part. Just give them a new one and be done with it.
  The only time we would ever make a customer pay for shipping is if the product comes in for warranty work and nothing is wrong with it except needing a good cleaning. In that case we hold clean it for free but charge them to ship it back along with a slightly cocky letter saying nothing wrong works fine please clean once and a while and you will be fine etc.
    I'm kind of fired up over hearing this BS. So I'll just stop writing now.
   But as others have said, I will never buy an ed brown 1911 b cause of this issue alone!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#37]
To respond to a few of the above comments,

-The gun was brand new before I purchased it, about a month ago.

-I will post the prices of the individual items that were replaced when I get an invoice.  I did ask them to replace the sights so that's on me.  I do see everyones point regarding the replacement of the grip safety and that if it were a defective design I shouldn't have to pay for it.....

-I now have a charge for $518 on my Amex card (that doesn't include the $99 shipping) and as far as I know that is for a gold bead front sight, a U shape blacked out rear, and a new grip safety.  I haven't been E mailed an invoice so Im not sure what the price breakdown is but the front sight should have been 75 dollars.

-Completely unrelated but my family owns a 198 year old business, we are small, 19 employees.  If there is an issue on a job sight, or somebody claims something didn't work as it was supposed to, we respond instantly.  I am not saying we can make everyone happy, but we do everything we can from working nights and weekends, to paying air freight to hopefully satisfy the customer and continue a healthy relationship.  Our name is our most valuable commodity, if people didn't trust us and like what we do we wouldn't be here anymore.  My point is I am not blind to the points everyone is making, and maybe everyone is right.  When the gun comes back I will take pictures, and maybe it is simply a fact that Ed Browns customer service isn't comparable to other companies.  

-I talked to my friend yesterday who took the Bob Marvel 1911 class.  You build a 1911 with Bob Marvel over 2 weeks, not assemble but actually fit and build the gun.  When I told him what was going on he said "Brown parts are great, but i'd never buy a gun from them because their customer service is shit".  He also laughed and laughed when I told him about the grip safety and how I had to pay for a new one that was more reliable.  He explained the safetys inside the gun and how they worked in conjunction with the grip safety.  He said it sounds like complete BS, and said if their part was faulty they should give you a new one.  

-All of this aside, I am a huge fan of the gun itself and I hope it comes back perfect.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

-I will post the prices of the individual items that were replaced when I get an invoice.  I did ask them to replace the sights so that's on me.  I do see everyones point regarding the replacement of the grip safety and that if it were a defective design I shouldn't have to pay for it.....

-I now have a charge for $518 on my Amex card (that doesn't include the $99 shipping) and as far as I know that is for a gold bead front sight, a U shape blacked out rear, and a new grip safety.  I haven't been E mailed an invoice so Im not sure what the price breakdown is but the front sight should have been 75 dollars.

-Completely unrelated but my family owns a 198 year old business, we are small, 19 employees.  If there is an issue on a job sight, or somebody claims something didn't work as it was supposed to, we respond instantly.  I am not saying we can make everyone happy, but we do everything we can from working nights and weekends, to paying air freight to hopefully satisfy the customer and continue a healthy relationship.  Our name is our most valuable commodity, if people didn't trust us and like what we do we wouldn't be here anymore.  My point is I am not blind to the points everyone is making, and maybe everyone is right.  When the gun comes back I will take pictures, and maybe it is simply a fact that Ed Browns customer service isn't comparable to other companies.  

-I talked to my friend yesterday who took the Bob Marvel 1911 class.  You build a 1911 with Bob Marvel over 2 weeks, not assemble but actually fit and build the gun.  When I told him what was going on he said "Brown parts are great, but i'd never buy a gun from them because their customer service is shit".  He also laughed and laughed when I told him about the grip safety and how I had to pay for a new one that was more reliable.  He explained the safetys inside the gun and how they worked in conjunction with the grip safety.  He said it sounds like complete BS, and said if their part was faulty they should give you a new one.  

-All of this aside, I am a huge fan of the gun itself and I hope it comes back perfect.
View Quote
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank You very much Woody for the update. This thread has great value to me. It has been an eye opener, had my heart set on a Kobra Carry, of course I am loosing interest rapidly in owning any Ed Brown. I dont know how places like this stay in biz.
Looking forward to the final breakdown. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I have read similar threads before this. I have shot an Ed Brown but not enough to comment on it as to quality. However, after this and previous threads, I have no desire to own one.
Obviously, a bunch of d****ebags when it comes to CS (to say the least). 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd be livid.  Completely pissed, off the rails, mad if this happened to me.

$518 to replace sights and a defective grip safety?  A price that doesn't include the $99 shipping (you shouldn't have had to pay for)?

If you're happy OP, I guess that's what matters.  Sounds like ed Brown cs is just as shitty as ever.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I've noticed that the shops I frequent have cases full of "high end semi custom " 1911s that sit and sit unsold for many months on end.

Product that used to be scarce is currently widely and immediately available

Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown....there's going to be a shakeout in the market and I'm betting the one's to go tits up will be those who offer shitty customer service/warranty work.

These days there are plenty of somewhat lower tier, less expensive but nicely made and reliable alternatives offered by companies that will treat you like a prince if your gun requires customer service or warranty attention.

The higher end botique guys need to do better or at least as good as the less expensive, production gun manufacturers whose products have gotten better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
First, I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles.  It happens to every manufacturer now and again, but how they handle the situation is what stands out.  I've had plenty of problems myself that companies have handled a myriad of ways but my standout experience that relates to this was with another high-end 1911 manufacturer.  
It started with lots of delays on my order and BS excuses in some cases flat out lies, and ended with the gun showing up in a different configuration then what was specified.  You know what my first reaction was? It's ok, they'll fix it, it'll just be another couple months.  
A coworker pulled me aside and gave me the bullet points of my whole experience and said "is this honestly acceptable customer service to you? Have you ever been treated like this before by any other company?"  I said no to both questions and then managed to admit to myself that I was just so emotionally invested in the idea of this gun, the 'want' for this gun, that I was compromising my own pride and kowtowing to a company.
I put my foot down, I called the rep, told him that I would gladly take the sights off the gun before sending it back so that when they shoved it up their collective ass it didn't hurt so much.  I got a full refund, and I spent my money with a different 1911 manufacturer.

I'd advise you to take a step back and ask yourself: is this ok?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd be interested in seeing the line item costs for the work. I can't figure out the $500 price for these services as they don't have to machine anything for the sights. There may bea little blending needed for the grip safety bot that shouldn't be all that expensive. Did you ask for a custom finish or something?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks everyone for all the comments.  My goal is just to share a personal experience.  I'm sure experiences vary.  ALSO I was wrong, the price I listed before did include the $99 dollar shipping charge.  Below is the breakdown of work done and cost,

#1 - Service Package -$99 (shipping cost basically)
#2- Machined Beavertail - $69.95
#3- Install grip safety- $75
#4- Refinish Stainless Lower- $100
#5- Gold Bead Front Sight- $75
#6- Labor to install front sight- $25
#7- Ed Brown U notch rear sight- $49.95
#8- Labor to install rear sight- $25
(they also applied threadlocker to the grip screws, which is their standard practice.  The problem is my grip screws would come lose after about 100 rounds.  They told me when they inspected them there wasn't any threadlocker on them and there should have been when the pistol left the shop originally......)  -No charge for that one

That's the breakdown as it says on my invoice.  Ill post pictures of the gun later.

-Woody
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

(they also applied threadlocker to the grip screws, which is their standard practice.  The problem is my grip screws would come lose after about 100 rounds.  They told me when they inspected them there wasn't any threadlocker on them and there should have been when the pistol left the shop originally......)  -No charge for that one
View Quote
I find this interesting. Dan Wesson uses O rings instead of threadlocker to solve this problem. I've found an even better solution to be installing Challis bushings and then using O rings on the base of the bushing and under the screw head. I've had this set up on two Dan Wesson Valors for 2200 rounds on one gun and 5500 rounds on the other with no loosening. This is with 12 in/lbs of torque on each screw.

Challis bushings and O rings
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Bradd,  I didn't know that about DW guns and the O rings.  With that said I have two DW guns, one of which is the 9mm guardian and won't run through a magazine without choking, the other is a Valkyrie in 45 that has over 5400 rounds through it and has literally ZERO failures.  Never had an issue with the grip screws on my DW.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for all the comments.  My goal is just to share a personal experience.  I'm sure experiences vary.  ALSO I was wrong, the price I listed before did include the $99 dollar shipping charge.  Below is the breakdown of work done and cost,

That's the breakdown as it says on my invoice.  Ill post pictures of the gun later.

-Woody
View Quote
I would be disputing most of those charges with my CC company as you shouldn't have to pay to fix broken shit on a new gun that costs that much money

ETA: I meant to type "shouldn't"
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

-Woody
View Quote
If they were going to charge you full cost for the beavertail ($69.99 on Brownells), they could have at least subtracted the cost of the Non-Bar stock beavertail they needed to replace anyways ($39.99).

Looks like they took advantage of you. If the part was faulty they would have owed you a re-fit, beavertail, and refinish (both versions of the beavertail would have needed to be blended anyways, which would have required the refinish just the same). Why did you choosing a upgrade suddenly tack on the same costs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did they respond at all? I'm guessing not or you would have posted it.  After reading this thread, I am quite sure I will never be purchasing any of their products and am glad I ended up with a Baer.
Sorry OP but this is unbelievable shitty CS, whether you're happy with it or not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top