Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/7/2003 9:39:16 PM EDT

Got it off a guy who was hard up for cash. He bought it a couple years ago & had never shot it so it was NIB. I paid $600 for it which was a pretty good deal considering I was about to pay close to $500 for a Mil-Spec. It's got a ported barrel but I plan on picking up a non-ported one for versatility. I'm replacing the grips with some rubber ones for the meantime & going to get some wood ones down the road when I find a custom set that catches my eye. The trigger seems decent, about a 5-6 lb pull. Eventually I might send it back to SA and have them lighten it to 4 lb & get the grip frame checkered but that'll have to wait for now. Can't wait to get out to the range & shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:23:39 PM EDT
Beautiful gun. I like the grips already on it.

What does it say under "Danger" and above "Read Manual" on your barrel?

You did good on the price.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:35:20 PM EDT
Do yourself a favor & don't send it to SA for the trigger job. It'll take forever & be priced accordingly. There's plenty of good full-time gunsmiths who can do that job for less money & certainly less time.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:58:13 AM EDT
Thats a nice looking pistol, Id keep the grips that are on it. I hate that stupid ass warning that springfield puts on the ported pistols. My XD40 V-10 came with it but I took it off with some steel wool and had the chamber reblued and now it looks 100% better, looks like yours is engraved into the chamber, that sucks!

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:53:23 PM EDT
"Danger, Exhaust Ports, Read Manual" Is what is says on it. I guess the lawyers advised SA to put that on there. I don't care for it either but it's not that big a deal. I am going to get a non-ported barrel & they don't have that warning info on it. As for the trigger job, my FFL suggested a gunsmith so if I have the work done I'll probably let him take care of it. Would be a lot less hassle than shipping it back. ($30 for next-day shipping!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:16:37 PM EDT
Well got out & shot it yesterday. I only had time to put half a box of ammo through it. (UMC 230gr FMJ) I had no problems & seems accurate. I ordered the stainless non-ported barrel from Springfield, $120. I'll have to shoot for accuracy once I get a chance to take it back out again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:30:16 PM EDT
Here is a picture with my new wood grips:

I'm putting a non-ported stainless bull barrel in it (back ordered from SA) & a single piece stainless guide rod. SA already sent me a new guide rod I ordered but it doesn't fit. :( They are going to exchange it for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:47 PM EDT
IMO, I would forget about the SA barrel and get one from Bar-Sto. SA does not have a good reputation for barrels. You could always have the new barrel fitted when/if you send the trigger off to be worked on.

Other than that, you have a very nice looking pistol. I have a V-16 which I like, looks identical to yours except for the longer slide/barrel.

If you decide to sell those grips in the future, please let me know.
Top Top