Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 9:39:16 PM EDT

Got it off a guy who was hard up for cash. He bought it a couple years ago & had never shot it so it was NIB. I paid $600 for it which was a pretty good deal considering I was about to pay close to $500 for a Mil-Spec. It's got a ported barrel but I plan on picking up a non-ported one for versatility. I'm replacing the grips with some rubber ones for the meantime & going to get some wood ones down the road when I find a custom set that catches my eye. The trigger seems decent, about a 5-6 lb pull. Eventually I might send it back to SA and have them lighten it to 4 lb & get the grip frame checkered but that'll have to wait for now. Can't wait to get out to the range & shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful gun.  I like the grips already on it.

What does it say under "Danger" and above "Read Manual" on your barrel?

You did good on the price.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Do yourself a favor & don't send it to SA for the trigger job. It'll take forever & be priced accordingly. There's plenty of good full-time gunsmiths who can do that job for less money & certainly less time.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats a nice looking pistol, Id keep the grips that are on it. I hate that stupid ass warning that springfield puts on the ported pistols. My XD40 V-10 came with it but I took it off with some steel wool and had the chamber reblued and now it looks 100% better, looks like yours is engraved into the chamber, that sucks!

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
"Danger, Exhaust Ports, Read Manual" Is what is says on it. I guess the lawyers advised SA to put that on there. I don't care for it either but it's not that big a deal. I am going to get a non-ported barrel & they don't have that warning info on it. As for the trigger job, my FFL suggested a gunsmith so if I have the work done I'll probably let him take care of it. Would be a lot less hassle than shipping it back. ($30 for next-day shipping!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Well got out & shot it yesterday. I only had time to put half a box of ammo through it. (UMC 230gr FMJ) I had no problems & seems accurate. I ordered the stainless non-ported barrel from Springfield, $120. I'll have to shoot for accuracy once I get a chance to take it back out again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a picture with my new wood grips:

I'm putting a non-ported stainless bull barrel in it (back ordered from SA) & a single piece stainless guide rod. SA already sent me a new guide rod I ordered but it doesn't fit. :( They are going to exchange it for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, I would forget about the SA barrel and get one from Bar-Sto. SA does not have a good reputation for barrels. You could always have the new barrel fitted when/if you send the trigger off to be worked on.

Other than that, you have a very nice looking pistol. I have a V-16 which I like, looks identical to yours except for the longer slide/barrel.

If you decide to sell those grips in the future, please let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top