Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/20/2003 10:35:45 PM EDT
A few months ago I got a .38 snubbie. I'm not a revolver shooter, the semi-autos I own are reliable. But I got to thinking it would be a good idea to have something by the bed that would fire for sure, end of story, a back-up of sorts.

Now, well, I really enjoy shooting the revolver. Which leads to my thoughts on getting another one. Keeping in mind it would still be something as back-up, but with more power than the .38 . I'd like to keep it fairly short barreled since it needs to be grab-albe quickly in the dark.
.357 mag? Does .44 spl pack power v. the .38 or just bigger caliber?
Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:02:11 PM EDT
After that rant I thought a .357mag snubbie would suit what I was describing. I was trying to think it out too much.
But still, recommendations are welcome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:34:46 AM EDT
If you are not gonna try and set a record for number of magnum rounds fired, the M19 or M66 2 1/2in. or M66 3in. are very nice little handguns. To me, the 2 1/2in. barrels look more "balanced" but the 3in. version of the M66 allows for a full extractor rod stroke, and is the better gun for a fighting revolver.

The smaller frames of "K" series guns simply will not hold up as well to a great deal of shooting with full magnum loads, but are fine for what most shooters do anyway...shoot lots of .38 or .38+P and a box or two of magnums now and then. They also will have a bit more recoil due to their lighter weight. If you don't feel the need for adjustable sights, there are the fixed sight 3in. bull-barreled M13 or M65 to look at...both also excellent guns. The M13 3in. was the last FBI issue revolver and still an excellent choice when you can find a good used one.

A good shooter with good tactics and a 3in. .38+P or .357 mag. loaded revolver and a speedloader or two of spare ammo is most certainly NOT someone you want to fcuk with!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:44:26 PM EDT
You might think about a GP-100 with a 3" barrel. It is a fixed-sight gun, but very controllable from what I understand. A 4" gun will still be handy, probably a little more controllable, and not overly cumbersome to most people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:23:10 PM EDT
Thanks for the insiteful options. I'll definetely get a hand feel on all that are available under the glass case at my local shops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:31:13 PM EDT
Also consider the muzzle flash of a .357 at night. It is simply amazing.
Top Top