Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Clear "sweetheart" grips would look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit…I shouldn’t have fucked around in Paint…

Now I need some custom big butt grips…
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clear "sweetheart" grips would look pretty cool.
View Quote

Ohh LS Grips does make clear grips too:

https://www.lsgrips.com/collections/clear-handgun-grips

Clear acrylic with the overall shape of big butt grips…Maybe tinted to give it a Blade Runner look:

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Handguard ordered
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
i understand certain guns have an inherent cultural and historical value, but i think for these old timey revolvers, it's a bit overrated. 1911 i can understand, it's still relevant, but your regular old timey 6 shooters seem antiquated. if they cost 100 bucks, maybe i'd fix one up and put it on display. but if i want a gun to shoot, i want something that can handle the full spectrum of tasks from self defense all the way to being an art piece. a 1911 fits that bill. but so do many modern guns like the m&p 2.0s

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i understand certain guns have an inherent cultural and historical value, but i think for these old timey revolvers, it's a bit overrated. 1911 i can understand, it's still relevant, but your regular old timey 6 shooters seem antiquated. if they cost 100 bucks, maybe i'd fix one up and put it on display. but if i want a gun to shoot, i want something that can handle the full spectrum of tasks from self defense all the way to being an art piece. a 1911 fits that bill. but so do many modern guns like the m&p 2.0s

View Quote

That’s a fair view, and to some extent I think it’s one we share. The value in this gun to me is almost entirely in artistic enjoyment and pride of ownership. To me, it’s not a historical gun because it’s a new gun - the CIP proof mark on the cylinder is from 2021, and I’d bet a decent amount it’s from the later half of that year.

If this were an original gun, actually manufactured in the 1800s, then it’d have historical value and I’d be a lot more apprehensive about making modifications to it in the way I am to this gun.

I agree that you’re better off looking at guns that were designed more recently if you’re interested in something that can be both aesthetically pleasing and relied on for serious defensive use. I built my serious general-purpose defense/carry/SHTF pistol based on the P320, and while it’s certainly the most broadly technically capable pistol I’ve ever shot it’s got a certain appreciable artistic aesthetic as well:

My P320 is my gun to shoot, and I shoot the hell out of it. This project is just for fun, and a few LOLs
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Might be a bit laborious but you could always mold your own. Use the factory grips+the finger groove adapter to make a mold. Then mold in wax or super solf plastic and alter the mold with hand tools and and add extra material as desired. Then use the wax relief to make a final mold in the desired end material.

I recal an archived thread where a guy was using his kids legos to form a simple mold for gun parts.

EDIT: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Fruity-Ghost-DIY-100s-of-ARs-cheaper-faster-gentler-/4-676733/?page=1
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Might be a bit laborious but you could always mold your own. Use the factory grips+the finger groove adapter to make a mold. Then mold in wax or super solf plastic and alter the mold with hand tools and and add extra material as desired. Then use the wax relief to make a final mold in the desired end material.

I recal an archived thread where a guy was using his kids legos to form a simple mold for gun parts.

EDIT: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Fruity-Ghost-DIY-100s-of-ARs-cheaper-faster-gentler-/4-676733/?page=1
View Quote

That could be an option if I were to go with clear acrylic, but I don’t think it’d work for carbon fiber. Not sure which I’d prefer at this point.

I think custom grips will be a later addition, for right now the focus is on the barrel shroud. After that gets done and everything gets mounted up then I’ll take another look at grip possibilities
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Give the guys at LS Grips a call.  They'll make something for you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Give the guys at LS Grips a call.  They'll make something for you.
View Quote

That’s what I’m hearing from others too. I’ll see what they can do
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
I really want to not like this, but love it.  Early Schofields and No.3s were popular target pistols for a while in their heyday, because their lockwork was more consistent.  A modern twist on a target gripped schofield could be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really want to not like this, but love it.  Early Schofields and No.3s were popular target pistols for a while in their heyday, because their lockwork was more consistent.  A modern twist on a target gripped schofield could be interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think if there's a simple overall theme I'm going for with this entire project, it'd be "I want to hate it, but..."
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_02/BAB0F902-D1C0-4664-BB6C-066104B396A9.jpeg.4974cad3c2b4f300811f867e2f5cf5ff.jpeg

View Quote

For some strange reason I'm not hating this look.  I might go so far as to say, and of course reiterating that this abomination is a bobsled ride to gun hell, that all things considered, these big butt target grips look frickin' awesome on this gun and if you don't find a way to make them work I will feel actual sadness, lol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For some strange reason I'm not hating this look.  I might go so far as to say, and of course reiterating that this abomination is a bobsled ride to gun hell, that all things considered, these big butt target grips look frickin' awesome on this gun and if you don't find a way to make them work I will feel actual sadness, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_02/BAB0F902-D1C0-4664-BB6C-066104B396A9.jpeg.4974cad3c2b4f300811f867e2f5cf5ff.jpeg

I think I’ve pretty firmly settled on the big butt overall shape for the grips, still a little unsure on the material. Probably carbon fiber if LS Grips can do it, or clear acrylic.

Screw it, it’ll be a couple weeks at least until the handguard gets delivered and the gun goes back to the gunsmith. I’ll get in touch with LS Grips today and see if we can get the ball rolling on a set of stocks
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Carbon fiber’s out, LS Grips won’t work with the material due to difficulty and hardness on the tools. The grips can be made in that general shape, but the time involved makes the price “high”. Seeking clarification on price estimate and seeing if clear acrylic or black pearl material would work.

For a “fun side project” this wheelgun is shaping up to be my most expensive gun build yet
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You could always go with an inexpensive grip material and have it dipped, wrapped, sprayed, etc with a carbon fiber pattern.  

Or if that just totally takes a dive, the same modern style big booty grip in black but with the silver diamondback rattler grip inlays from the Clint Eastwood movie.  You can buy the inlays separately to fit them to whatever grip you want.  

Barring the carbon fiber, I think that would look awesome.  My opinion of course.  

Looking forward to seeing this abomination completed!
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You could always go with an inexpensive grip material and have it dipped, wrapped, sprayed, etc with a carbon fiber pattern.  

Or if that just totally takes a dive, the same modern style big booty grip in black but with the silver diamondback rattler grip inlays from the Clint Eastwood movie.  You can buy the inlays separately to fit them to whatever grip you want.  

Barring the carbon fiber, I think that would look awesome.  My opinion of course.  

Looking forward to seeing this abomination completed!
View Quote

I've never really liked the faux carbon fiber thing, coming from a car hobby background painting things to look like carbon fiber that aren't actually made of carbon fiber is seriously frowned upon.

If carbon fiber itself isn't a possibility, leaning towards either the clear transparent or transparent blue material that LS lists on their website:

https://www.lsgrips.com/collections/translucent-colors/products/transparent-blue-scale-sets

Still with the big butt shape and ergonomics. Waiting to hear back on alternative material options, so we'll see how it goes
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree, not fan of the faux carbon fiber.  

Not a huge fan of the translucent material.  Still think black wood with the sterling silver rattlesnake on it would look awesome.  Keeping with the juxtaposition of modern and old theme.

Anywho, any rough estimate on finished product?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anywho, any rough estimate on finished product?
View Quote

The handguard I need is scheduled to ship from backorder in a couple weeks, at which point I can take it and the gun to my gunsmith. Gunsmith will probably have everything for a few weeks at least, as I’m not nearly his only customer and it’s not a drop-in/bolt-on job. Once the handguard part is done pretty much everything else is just details. I can get the optic and WML mounted up myself, whatever grips I choose to go with can be added whenever.

So probably a couple months, just due to wait times that are out of my hands unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
That's not a terrible time frame all things considered.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe not for others but I’m terribly impatient
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck... I do like that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck... I do like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck... I do like that.

Still talking with LS Grips to try to get something in process. Should be this overall shape, just trying to settle on what material will work for it and how much it'll cost
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Remember, G10 comes in a wide variety of different color combinations (even solid colors).  Although real ebony with sterling snakes would rock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Might not be  super helpful but i was thinking about you revolver projects on the way to work and realized that it would probobly be easier to do a cyber-cowboy gun based off of a dan wesson 15-2 or 715.

As the guns are totally modular and you can get custom barrels/showds, and grips from EWK arms.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Might not be  super helpful but i was thinking about you revolver projects on the way to work and realized that it would probobly be easier to do a cyber-cowboy gun based off of a dan wesson 15-2 or 715.

As the guns are totally modular and you can get custom barrels/showds, and grips from EWK arms.
View Quote

That's a hell of a call right there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remember, G10 comes in a wide variety of different color combinations (even solid colors).  Although real ebony with sterling snakes would rock.
View Quote

Surprisingly G10 seems to be one of the few materials that LS Grips doesn't offer, at least for their regular grip offerings.

Does anyone know of any other companies that make Schofield grips by the way? Leaning towards LS obviously, but wondering what other options might be available
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing a DA/SA revolver would certainly be fun as well. Honestly I think a lot more is possible than many people might originally conceive of. And yes sometimes it's a question of money, but in many cases if you can think it up and know to ask the right people the right questions, just about anything can be done
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#29]
LS Grips won't have time for this kind of in-depth custom project until later this summer
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, sounds like LS Grips can make the big butt style grips for the Schofield like my rough photoshop, just not until later this summer when they’ll have time. Material options would either be pearl or wood. I’m thinking either black pearl or ebony wood - either way the shape/ergonomics would be the same, no finger grooves, extra material to fill behind the trigger guard, and checkered. Anyone have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok, sounds like LS Grips can make the big butt style grips for the Schofield like my rough photoshop, just not until later this summer when they'll have time. Material options would either be pearl or wood. I'm thinking either black pearl or ebony wood - either way the shape/ergonomics would be the same, no finger grooves, extra material to fill behind the trigger guard, and checkered. Anyone have any thoughts?
View Quote
What will they run, and will they exist in cocobolo?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, sounds like LS Grips can make the big butt style grips for the Schofield like my rough photoshop, just not until later this summer when they'll have time. Material options would either be pearl or wood. I'm thinking either black pearl or ebony wood - either way the shape/ergonomics would be the same, no finger grooves, extra material to fill behind the trigger guard, and checkered. Anyone have any thoughts?

Don’t know if they can do cocobolo, but I imagine probably since it’s just another kind of wood.

As for cost, about as much as the stock gun
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't know if they can do cocobolo, but I imagine probably since it's just another kind of wood.

View Quote

That might be a little rich for my blood
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know if they can do cocobolo, but I imagine probably since it's just another kind of wood.

The work my gunsmith is going to do will probably be about the same. Plus the cost for the sight, WML, rail itself…

This particular dumpster fire’s gonna be a pretty penny to make it all good
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#35]
So I’m waiting on the Midwest Industries rail to take the Schofield to my gunsmith, LS Grips doesn’t have time to do the custom grip job until summer, and I’m just waiting on shipping instructions for the NAA Pug.

Which means as far as projects go I’m back to a holding pattern…Which means I’m thinking about what the next project might be…
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know what his current backlog is, but Ron at rmknives made some grips for my Auto Mag as well as the Coonan grips shown.  .  He scanned factory grips I sent him and did his CAD/CAM voodoo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know what his current backlog is, but Ron at rmknives made some grips for my Auto Mag as well as the Coonan grips shown.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/149923/Coonan_grips-2273792.jpg.  He scanned factory grips I sent him and did his CAD/CAM voodoo.
View Quote

Those look great. Do you have a contact link for Ron?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Handguard has shipped! That was earlier than expected, which means the gun should be going to my gunsmith by next week!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Ron's email: [email protected]
Gallery of some of his custom grips.
He can map any design/picture etc. onto the final shape of the grip.  The Coonan 'scales' are from a microscope photo of a feather.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ron's email: [email protected]
Gallery of some of his custom grips.
He can map any design/picture etc. onto the final shape of the grip.  The Coonan 'scales' are from a microscope photo of a feather.
View Quote

Looks like most of his work is on 1911s, but I’ll shoot him an email and see what he says
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#41]

*Evil laughter intensifies*
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Ron’s waitlist for custom grip projects is over a year unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#43]
The Schofield is with my local gunsmith and the Pug is on the way to the shop in AZ. Now we wait
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]

These little extra ammo holders from Hoptic USA look great studded along the side of the recently popular tactical lever guns, figured they’d be worth trying on this modernized old western design. It’ll be a little while before I have the gun back to mount them on, but there you go
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I think you should wrap the grip in athletic tape
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you should wrap the grip in athletic tape
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/Book_of_eli_poster_jpg-2283278.JPG
View Quote

That’s certainly a possibility. I’ll have to see how the custom grip turns out, it may be a shame to cover it with tape
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#47]
By the end of this month my gunsmith should be finished with fitting and installing what we’ll refer to going forward as the shroud. He said he’d give me a call, have me come in and inspect how it’s been fitted and shaped on the revolver, make sure I’m happy with the overall aesthetic and function and then the shroud will be sent off for Cerakote refinishing. Assuming no major delays the whole thing should be completed and back in my hands by May!
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I cant wait to see more progress pictures
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Rough shaping of the handguard is finished and the ‘smith has my go-ahead to start drilling into the revolver. When it’s actually mounted it’ll sit a bit lower on the gun and the sharp corners will be smoothed out but major progress is happening!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I wondered about this project as I was shooting my Schofield the other day.

Thanks for the update.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top