User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The naysayers here believe that any handgun with a red dot or comp is a travesty. There's no talking to them, Unfortunately.

I researched the Roland Special, built my own, and can see why it's such a great setup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only further comment on this is that the Roland Special came about because of two men in particular. One I know personally, and consider a friend. When he says something is good, I pay very close attention, as he gets a lot of unobtanium through his hands. Think what you want to about this being a trolling piece or the like, but when folks like DocGKR and Chuck Haggard acknowledge this is a, "good idea," (tm), that's what may be considered a clue for some.

The naysayers here believe that any handgun with a red dot or comp is a travesty. There's no talking to them, Unfortunately.

I researched the Roland Special, built my own, and can see why it's such a great setup.

No. You are misreading things. The concept is interesting and may have merit.  The "naysayers" are simply not buying the background/origin that some seem to be claiming or at least implying. And like i said, i can't have one.  Building one is manufacturing an Assault Weapon and there is no exemption in that law for cops or even LE Agencies.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No. You are misreading things. The concept is interesting and may have merit.  The "naysayers" are simply not buying the background/origin that some seem to be claiming or at least implying. And like i said, i can't have one.  Building one is manufacturing an Assault Weapon and there is no exemption in that law for cops or even LE Agencies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only further comment on this is that the Roland Special came about because of two men in particular. One I know personally, and consider a friend. When he says something is good, I pay very close attention, as he gets a lot of unobtanium through his hands. Think what you want to about this being a trolling piece or the like, but when folks like DocGKR and Chuck Haggard acknowledge this is a, "good idea," (tm), that's what may be considered a clue for some.

I apologize, as I should have been more specific. I'm not referencing anyone skeptical of the background - that's something that we'll never know. There are some however, that believe optics on pistols or any modifications at all are "wrong".

I don't think it's wrong to be skeptical of the background. Unfortunately, it's something that you just gotta take their word for it.

There are some pretty high-speed, low-drag dudes over at Primary & Secondary that have been informing the masses on the background of the Roland Special concept. I could see it being a real thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I apologize, as I should have been more specific. I'm not referencing anyone skeptical of the background - that's something that we'll never know. There are some however, that believe optics on pistols or any modifications at all are "wrong".

I don't think it's wrong to be skeptical of the background. Unfortunately, it's something that you just gotta take their word for it.

There are some pretty high-speed, low-drag dudes over at Primary & Secondary that have been informing the masses on the background of the Roland Special concept. I could see it being a real thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worry about is the durability of the red dots. Lots of competition shooters have trouble with them lasting the season. I absolutely think they are the future and know that they make a noticeable difference in the performance.

I also know that the comps work well really question having them on a gun that might be shot without hearing protection. They are brutal.

I really want a gun set up like this but will most likely skip the comp so I can run suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I suspect most of the weekend warriors here wouldn't fit in at Primary & Secondary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the name Roland, anyone know where that came from?

He's a dude.

Check out the Primary & Secondary podcast.

He's a trip.
Came here to post this....

I suspect most of the weekend warriors here wouldn't fit in at Primary & Secondary.

I am on their FB Group and they are a bunch of gear queers. Some good guys but a ton of others that irritate the shit out of me.

One guy put together one of these comp guns and was bitching about why it wouldn't cycle with 147subs.

I tried to explain to him that the comp needed lots of pressure to allow the gun to cycle and that I owned one and was quite familiar with it.

I posted pics of my rig and all and he was still ranting a raving about me being an idiot and that the ammo he was using was shit.

I pretty much stopped hanging out in there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
So I am really lost now..  Is the story from GnA true or what?

"Members of one of our elite national assets conceptualized the Roland Special (and used the name from a Stephen King book?) as a concealed carry pistol. While their world might not necessarily be everyone’s world, they are required to make pistol shots in excess of 25 yards, shoot their pistols while using night-vision goggles and make low percentage shots while a threat, a no-shoot and themselves are all in a state of motion, i.e., hostage rescue."  (what team is this, US based?)

If so where can we find the info that GnA used for their article?  Thanks, to clarify the name Roland (as it relates to this Glock setup) came from a fictional character in a Stephen King book?

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"Members of one of our elite national assets conceptualized the Roland Special (and used the name from a Stephen King book?) as a concealed carry pistol. While their world might not necessarily be everyone’s world, they are required to make pistol shots in excess of 25 yards, shoot their pistols while using night-vision goggles and make low percentage shots while a threat, a no-shoot and themselves are all in a state of motion, i.e., hostage rescue."  (what team is this, US based?)

If so where can we find the info that GnA used for their article?  Thanks, to clarify the name Roland (as it relates to this Glock setup) came from a fictional character in a Stephen King book?

View Quote

A lot of the information comes from the people who know the originator of the concept, and a lot of them hang out on Primary & Secondary.

The origin of the name is debatable. Perhaps the creator likes the Stephen King books, or perhaps he goes by Roland in online circles? No one will ever know.

What I can say, is that it's a solid setup.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys are making me laugh so hard. P&S is where the best info is being pushed out my competent real deal MOFOs. If you think a XD is a suitable duty pistol this group will push your shit in and spit you back out with the correct knowledge and mindset. Search on YouTube for the videos of these guys and you'll understand why the Roland Special is the shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys are making me laugh so hard. P&S is where the best info is being pushed out my competent real deal MOFOs. If you think a XD is a suitable duty pistol this group will push your shit in and spit you back out with the correct knowledge and mindset. Search on YouTube for the videos of these guys and you'll understand why the Roland Special is the shit.
View Quote

I tried to explain that to them. They seem to think P&S are "gear queers".

The weekend commando crowd here would get raped over at P&S.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and it's not that they're "gear queers" it's that they don't recommend subpar equipment. Their main ideology is LEO/MIL and serious CCW EDC.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am watching these podcasts now. What are the backgrounds of these guys out of curiosity? I see Roland on them but doesn't show his face. Are all these guys special ops or what?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am watching these podcasts now. What are the backgrounds of these guys out of curiosity? I see Roland on them but doesn't show his face. Are all these guys special ops or what?
View Quote

You can read their bio's here

https://primaryandsecondary.com/staff/department/contributors/
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so confused.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of the information comes from the people who know the originator of the concept, and a lot of them hang out on Primary & Secondary.

The origin of the name is debatable. Perhaps the creator likes the Stephen King books, or perhaps he goes by Roland in online circles? No one will ever know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I known, I will be building one in the near future and posting my offering on this thread.  I am going to use the Glock 19 MOS as my base gun though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am so confused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so confused.

So they appear they are a bunch of regular Mil/LE guys...

I highly doubt any police or military SF have ever carried a "Rowland" special Glock on deployment or on the streets.
its a cool set up tho! I'm not bashing it. This is the first I've ever seen of this personally.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I highly doubt any police or military SF have ever carried a "Rowland" special Glock on deployment or on the streets.
its a cool set up tho! I'm not bashing it. This is the first I've ever seen of this personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so confused.

Roland is apparently Delta or something but nobody knows his real name, doesn't show his face, doesn't have a real bio. He could be anybody and they can be trolling everyone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Roland is apparently Delta or something but nobody knows his real name, doesn't show his face, doesn't have a real bio. He could be anybody and they can be trolling everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so confused.

I know one of the guys on the staff there. They're not the trolling type. They leave that nonsense for here on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Putting up a bio out of a fictional book seems like pretty straightforward trolling to me
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Putting up a bio out of a fictional book seems like pretty straightforward trolling to me
View Quote

Us MIL combat arms guys have a special sense of humor. My Instagram bio is of Boba Fett. ......
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Us MIL combat arms guys have a special sense of humor. My Instagram bio is of Boba Fett. ......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big difference between your instagram and print media.

Its "trolling" if the info printed in the G&A article is not factually accurate and they let it go uncorrected. Im not going to accuse anyone of anything but I'll add that when you are vague about your background knowing that people are likely to fill in the holes with bigger than life stuff that is a form of stolen valor. Never imply you are something you are not and if the nut huggers start thinking you are, correct them immediately.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its "trolling" if the info printed in the G&A article is not factually accurate and they let it go uncorrected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its "trolling" if the info printed in the G&A article is not factually accurate and they let it go uncorrected.

We'll never know.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very cool. I love seeing gun tech mature.

As for P&S, it seems to be an extension of the LF niche. I started seeing it right after LF started getting more restrictive and more payer-oriented for even greater exclusivity (I'm not paying $5/mo so I can post in their general forum). Then LF started withering and now P&S is filling that gap while being more "open" (we'll see how long that lasts).
View Quote

P&S started as an invite only, which I was, Facebook group.

It's expanded past that, which is really great.

IMHO, it's nothing like the snobbiness of the LF crew. Way more down to earth and in touch with everyday people.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so confused.

Wrong.

And Roland wasn't Delta. He's very open about his creds if you just listen to the podcast.

ETA - You'll notice many of those guys are DARC alumni, yet one particular guy's bio is conspicuously missing...

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread has turned to shit. This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread has turned to shit. This is why we can't have nice things.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that. Still good info here. I have never heard of the P&S guys before but they have earned me as a follower now. They clearly know their shit. At first I was a little skeptical but they all have legit backgrounds and pass good info. They seem to be behind the Rowland glock and its suspect at first but looking at the design and its purpose it fits. It's basically the same idea/concept we apply to our rifles.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
OP request
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top