Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT
i have a yugo kit with a good bore but light rust in the chamber. the metal is covered in cosmsoline. i was thinking of removing the wood and dumping the metal in a bucket with mineral spirits. i know this will remove the cosmo but what about the rust? will this harm the blueing? any other chemicals to consider? how do you prefer to prep a kit to build?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
I used mineral spirits to clean my kits, melts the cosmo off the metal pretty quick. I cleaned 5 kits with maybe a pint of mineral spirits and a brush.
Rust in the chamber???? mmmm, I would get after that pretty quick with a oversized brush and 4 ought steel wool, soaked in any commercial gun cleaner or rust remover. You want that outta there asap. Flitz metal polish always removes light rust without much effort, I keep some around the house all the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:34:21 PM EDT
i heard you can use one of those little stemers you can get for like 50 bucks they say the casmoline just drips right off with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:58:33 PM EDT
I use plenty of heat to remove cosmo from the metal and wood parts of rifles. In the summer time, I place the rifle in a black garbage bag and let it lay in direct sunlight. Melts everything off. In the winters, I steal my wife or my daughters' hair dryer and apply heat to small sections at the time while wiping it off with a rag. I found out that Simple Green also helps to remove the cosmo from the metal.
Top Top