Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT
i have a yugo kit with a good bore but light rust in the chamber. the metal is covered in cosmsoline. i was thinking of removing the wood and dumping the metal in a bucket with mineral spirits. i know this will remove the cosmo but what about the rust? will this harm the blueing? any other chemicals to consider? how do you prefer to prep a kit to build?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I used mineral spirits to clean my kits, melts the cosmo off the metal pretty quick.  I cleaned 5 kits with maybe a pint of mineral spirits and a brush.  
Rust in the chamber????  mmmm, I would get after that pretty quick with a oversized brush and 4 ought steel wool, soaked in any commercial gun cleaner or rust remover.  You want that outta there asap.  Flitz metal polish always removes light rust without much effort, I keep some around the house all the time.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
i heard you can use one of those little stemers you can get for like 50 bucks they say the casmoline just drips right off with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I use plenty of heat to remove cosmo from the metal and wood parts of rifles.  In the summer time, I place the rifle in a black garbage bag and let it lay in direct sunlight.  Melts everything off.  In the winters, I steal my wife or my daughters' hair dryer and apply heat to small sections at the time while wiping it off with a rag.  I found out that Simple Green also helps to remove the cosmo from the metal.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top