Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2017 6:24:32 PM EDT
What is the rules for asking to give products away for volunteer testing?   I have been making my own gun lube/cleaner and selling it locally and am trying to lengthen my reach.  Don't want to step on any toes!!  

Free samples budget has been exceeded!!  Thank you all!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The rules are clear. Just ask me in an IM to test some.

Sorry I couldn't help it. Truthfully though, I don't think it's a violation of the COC unless you are selling stuff as a vendor without becoming an industry partner. But I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You just gotta "Grease" the Arfcom, the moderators have to get theirs!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
They most likely will want you to be an "Industry partner".

For the time being you can place an ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not looking to sell it here yet.  I'm looking to get my product into members hands so I can get some feed back about it.  Local users love it and the folks who volunteered on several Facebook groups have nothing but good things to say about it.  So 30 brave soles are need for free lube if they are willing to do a write up about it for me.  Good or bad I want to know what you think!!  Message me your mailing address and which lube you would like to try and I'll get it on the way.  Chilly Dog works fantastic in your AR in severe cold conditions, -15 and below.  It also works as a general lube/cleaner in hand guns and shot guns, and bolt guns but is a bit on the thin side above freezing inside your AR.  Hot Dog is a thicker version that works well as a general lube/cleaner above freezing and works fantastic inside an AR.  Both versions repel moisture and soften/dissolve carbon for easy clean up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
volenteers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, volunteers.  I want real opinions from regular people who enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had 6 takers so far.  After being down with a gift from my children, the flu, I am back in the shop.  All went out today.  Any one else willing to try our products IM me your mailing address and I'll get it on the way!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
We're up to 25 volunteers between here and our Face Book page!  Thanks to all for the offer to help and voice your opinions!!  We are now out of samples but if you would like to try Cocky Coyote products visit our Face Book page or Amazon store!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope the stuff works. Always excited for new products that actually work.

Might get out to the range this weekend, so if it does get here by then, you can get a report by monday.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll sign up to test it. I've got several Guns to test it with and run a high round count weekly. 
If it works well I've got some SOF buddies that I can pass it on to to test. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm willing to give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]

do you need a packaging designer?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The samples came, looks G2G. Have not had a chance to shoot with it yet, hopefully next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
So far I really like it. Good Lubricity, when rubbing between my fingers. And when trying to rinse off under the sink, it doesn't wash off.  I had to use dawn dish soap to cut it.
I didn't notice any difference in my AR or Glock's funciton but again, time will tell, after some more use.

I'd say it's a solid product for sure. I wouldn't say revolutionary, but a solid great product so far.

Thanks for the sample, will be ordering some soon.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for your input!!  There's nothing magical in the bottles, no unicorn piss!  Originaly I was looking for a product that didn't turn into a gel when out in the cold, -15 and colder, and was also a at combating carbon buildup.  Nothing I found locally could do what I wanted and so off we went to make something that would!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
We'll have some of our products out at The Stillwater Tactical Challenge.  For you guys in Montana come by, these guys do one hell of a job!!

www.stillwatertacticalchallenge.com/2017.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
So I messaged the Kaptin about the lube I received for testing, and he asked if I'd be willing to post what I sent here, which I gladly am:

Alright, I'm going to be honest with you.

This is the best lube I've ever used.

Period. Full stop. End sentence. This stuff is good, unbelievably so. I haven't even put that many rounds through it yet, it even just with it on the guns before firing, it was the smoothest they've ever felt. After firing probably a out 6-8 mags of brown bear through my AR, it still felt as smooth as when it was clean. Not to mention, cleanup seemed a but easier than normal. My 9mm running a mixed box of S&B, white box, and nasty old unknowns was the same. Stupidly smooth before and after firing, with easier cleanup.

From what I can tell just from running it initially, this stuff is not only well lasting just sitting on my HD rifle (beats CLP by a mile for sure), it's the slickest lube I've found yet, and seems to help keep down the carbon fouling. Which is abnormal for me, because when people say "run your gun wet" I bring the whole fire department and hose it, making cleanup a nice mess.

I can get hoppes for $3 bottle before my 20% employee discount. If you sold this stuff for $18 a bottle + S&H I would still buy it, without question. Once I finish running through all my ammo and running the guns with no cleanings for a bit longer, I'll post a full review of it if you'd like and hopefully get orders coming in to you, but right now you're set up for a full 10/10 and at least one guy that will be buying it so long as you're making it.
View Quote
FWIW, I'm now running this in my Howa 7mm, my Beretta, and my AR, which I bet two lives on as my home defense rig and thus take quite seriously. When I took them out shooting with a group of friends, I kept showing it off to one of my other gun friends who was likewise consistently impressed with it's performance.

But the best part about this stuff?

It came with stickers. I freaking love stickers, especially when they allow me to happily display and advertise for a product I love.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Are any of you testers running a suppressor?  I have only one customer that uses Hot Dog with his supressor and he loves it.  He uses it on the treads of the end caps for easier disassembly as well as inside the firearms.  Any input to add??
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the IRS would let me use a suppressor as a business expense if it were for testing purposes.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Got to shoot a little bit yesterday. Only used it on an AR and my shield.

That stuff is slick! Got some on my fingers, and it was a slip-n-slide.

The solvent in it wanted to soften the paint on my shotgun (applied but didn't get to shoot).

Didn't have any stoppages, guns felt normal.

Cleaning was better than most oils, as it didn't get flung around too much (hot dog). It did keep all the carbon soft, even after 2 back to back mag dumps, and a third in the morning.

It migrated enough to keep the junk on the bolt tail soft, but not leak out of the rifle.

As an oil I'm pleased with it and would purchase it (if priced well) over typical oils. Still not going to switch away from my regular grease though. However when it gets cold again, the chilly dog will most likely out perform grease if only because it's an oil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Which shot gun and what kind of finish?  I haven't had anyone have finish issues yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
My 590. Shotgun has nothing to do with it. About 3 year old rustoleum.

Didn't take it off, but saw some color on the rag. Usually much less with clp and nothing with grease.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are any of you testers running a suppressor?  I have only one customer that uses Hot Dog with his suppressor and he loves it.  He uses it on the treads of the end caps for easier disassembly as well as inside the firearms.  Any input to add??
View Quote
Found another Cocky Coyote lover using Hot Dog on his suppressor threaded parts.  He was using copper antisieze. Found Hot Dog holds up as well with much less mess!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are any of you testers running a suppressor?  I have only one customer that uses Hot Dog with his supressor and he loves it.  He uses it on the treads of the end caps for easier disassembly as well as inside the firearms.  Any input to add??
View Quote
Hopefully will get a chance to this weekend.  Left the hot dog at my other place so if it gets back by then I'll take It out rabbit blastin.  

Been using the other lube on some gummed up 1911's with great success.  Haven't run em through the ringer yet though.  So far I like it.  

Will write up some more after I get a break from moving 3 houses and remodeling the new one.  

Coyotes hunt coming up soon if I can enter,it'll get passed around like a bottle of crown

Thanks for letting me try it.  I'd buy some  more from the little testing I've done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]
A huge THANK YOU to all the brave soles willing to give our products a try!!  Your input has helped tremendously!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Still looking for beta testers?  I've been looking for something that will stay in place a bit longer on certain areas. From the sound of it, those who've given it a try seem to indicate this might fit the bill for my needs. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
IM sent out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Still looking for beta testers?  I've been looking for something that will stay in place a bit longer on certain areas. From the sound of it, those who've given it a try seem to indicate this might fit the bill for my needs. Thanks!
View Quote
You can imagine it this way (hot dog)... clp is like 10-30 with solvent, this stuff is like 15-40 with less, but more powerful solvent. ETA: it seemed to really want to stay put as far as an oil goes, and keep carbon suspended very well. Despite that it doesn't get flung all over and make a mess, it migrates well enough to keep the parts coated. Very good formula IMO, OP did a great job.

Like I said above, I really appreciated the sample, and it's great as an oil. Just not good enough to make me switch from grease. Seems like a great choice if oil is your preference.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can imagine it this way (hot dog)... clp is like 10-30 with solvent, this stuff is like 15-40 with less, but more powerful solvent. ETA: it seemed to really want to stay put as far as an oil goes, and keep carbon suspended very well. Despite that it doesn't get flung all over and make a mess, it migrates well enough to keep the parts coated. Very good formula IMO, OP did a great job.

Like I said above, I really appreciated the sample, and it's great as an oil. Just not good enough to make me switch from grease. Seems like a great choice if oil is your preference.
View Quote
I'm working on something far thicker than Hot Dog.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Gotta make sure it works like Chilly Dog and Hot Dog.  Any suggestion for a name?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Spicy dog?

Ancho-chili dog? Hehe
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Owl Snot
Firearm Lube

Would love to try some!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#34]
We have over ran our initial budget for free samples by several hundred dollars.  So far all reviews have been good to extremely good!!  Thank you all!!  Your input has greatly solidified my belief in our products!!  
Thank you from all of us at Cocky Coyote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Killed around 200 prairie dogs yesterday.  250-300 rounds through the old R-15.  Soaked the bolt and bolt carrier in Hot Dog wile my family sat down to eat dinner.  An hour later the carbon wiped off the tail end of the bolt and a Q-Tip cleaned up the inside of the carrier.  Clean up time was cut way down!!  Get out and put some rounds down range!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm waiting for an opportunity to test the thicker stuff you sent me. Smells like gear oil (fucking nasty), but if it works, I won't complain.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#37]
The experimental mix has additives very similar to hypoid gear oil.  It was a struggle to keep the viscosity where I wanted it and still have the carbon cleaning qualities.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I still cannot believe UDL isn't a "thing", yet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Figured that you used similar thickeners (whatever chemicals they are). Seems like a decent way to keep the solvent content up while still retaining viscosity.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#40]
A little update...

I had used the extra heavy experimental stuff that smells like gear oil to shoot with on a couple guns. No problem, worked as expected. I put my typical grease back on all the guns used, except my EDC, shield 9mm. I cleaned and relubed with the secret sauce then carried her all week as normal.

Obviously it's summer and hot as balls here in SW Ohio. I sweat through my clothes most days. The black arch holster I have for the shield is supposed to have a plastic membrane to prevent sweat through, and it does. Still ended up with rust on the shield. It appears that the oil had migrated (no surprise, it's oil) and left it unprotected. The rust was mostly on the barrel, where the slide ever so gently contacts during cycling. Which of course it had been cycled a few times to work the lube around, function check, and then chamber a round for carry.

I haven't had this problem with my choice of grease before nor after. Nor on my glock even after exposure to salt/brackish water (got soaked at seaworld and let it sit to see how well it would protect).

I will have to make it clear that this still out performs generic USGI CLP. That will run off in a couple days, OP's stuff made it a week.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the update Fritz.  After your note about using grease I am working on a light weight grease to try.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#42]
In my case I think the grease would work much better for me and my taste.

However I think it defeats your original intention.

When it gets cold I'll be excited to try the chilly dog. Only thing I can see wrong with it is that it will run as with any oil. I'm sure it will otherwise be great. Thicker product would likely still be good on a carry gun, as it will likely be body temperature if carried tight to the body.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#43]
This weekend I noted the thick formula stayed put very well on surfaces. It was at least 85*, full sun, firing my RAR .22 as fast as possible. The stuff didn't run or wick away. Clp usually wants to migrate on me in that scenario. Even after 2 hours of sitting in the open cell foam of the case, and the days activities, it still had a nice oily sheen.

It also kept the powder fouling suspended well. Easy to clean out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This weekend I noted the thick formula stayed put very well on surfaces. It was at least 85*, full sun, firing my RAR .22 as fast as possible. The stuff didn't run or wick away. Clp usually wants to migrate on me in that scenario. Even after 2 hours of sitting in the open cell foam of the case, and the days activities, it still had a nice oily sheen.

It also kept the powder fouling suspended well. Easy to clean out.
View Quote
Thanks, we used Hot Dog yesterday to break in my sons Ruger American 7mm-08.  Bang, swab barrel with wet patch then clean patch repeated 5 times.  Then 3 rounds between swabs for another 5 groups.  We had a 13 year old putting 5 shots inside a 1" square before the day was over.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Late reply but better than never, I have now ran the thinner stuff for over 1500 rounds on my SBR and another 1k on my EDC. I have had 0 issues and am sold on this lube. It is slick as snot and stays put. Cleanup was about the same as other CLPs for me but I tend not to try hard and move on to carbon cleaners pretty quick.

I have split my samples up and gave them out to a few co workers. Looks like I need to get my hands on more soon!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I am certainly willing to test it in my AR and pistols, and write a report.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Late reply but better than never, I have now ran the thinner stuff for over 1500 rounds on my SBR and another 1k on my EDC. I have had 0 issues and am sold on this lube. It is slick as snot and stays put. Cleanup was about the same as other CLPs for me but I tend not to try hard and move on to carbon cleaners pretty quick.

I have split my samples up and gave them out to a few co workers. Looks like I need to get my hands on more soon!
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback Mekks!!  With the weather turning and hunting season getting into full swing things are picking up a bit.  Here, central Montana, it has been so dang hot and dry getting out in the field has been a spooky idea.  With the rain and snow the last two weeks I feel way more comfortable driving and shooting out in the wild!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I haven't ran in an ar15 yet. Just haven't gotten out to shoot it yet. Soon.

However, my RAR 22 was giving me consistent FTF/light strikes in the cold the past couple times out.

Switched from your heavy stuff, to clp and no luck, still went click instead of bang. Cleaned it up and put Chilly Dog in there. Shot about 150 rounds with it yesterday and they all went bang. Even the box that I dropped from 5 feet onto concrete!

Still cleans up plenty easy. I'm happy as can be.

In the coming weeks I'll be using the thicker stuff indoors-suppressed, and the chilly dog outdoors-unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Thank you FritzTKatt!!  With it being -10 to -20 the last couple of weeks I have had to talk people into using Chilly Dog exclusively.  I had a gentleman with a Ruger M77 in 22-250 that was having light strikes.  We pulled the bolt apart, cleaned, lubricated and resembled with Chilly Dog.  No problems since!!  Continue to get out and enjoy nature in all her glory!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty much, the clp and hot dog thickened up too much in 15*-0*. Cleaned the bolt (really wasn't dirty) and put in fresh chilly dog. That firing pin moves with some intensity again.

I think the hot dog indoors-suppressed will do ok, and can't forsee an issue at all with the chilly dog outside-unsupressed. The indoors will be a test of the hot dog's ability to suspend gunk and remain lubrous. I don't think temperature will play much.

If it gets back down to zero when I do get outside with the ar15, it will definitely test the cold performance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top