Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 6:55:14 PM EDT
I need to know what you guys think....

I would like to move my collection down to the basement for storage but it is unfinished.  I guess what I am most worried about is the amount of moisture in the air (I do not want anything to rust or wear).  I will be storing both my guns and ammunition in the basement.  

I live in Nebraska so weather is an issue.  It can go from -5 degrees to 105 degrees.  

Thanks for the help...
    03Mav
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Ammo can be taken care of by keeping all of it in ammo cans with good seals.  I tend to pack mine in the winter, up stairs during cold weather.  Thus with forced air heat the humidity is low.

Would get a de-humidifier for the area of the basement which is the gun room / area.  Also keep an emergency sump pump and hose around, just in case.

Would think about putting a heater (light bulb or a little safer is the metal cased golden rod) in your safe and possible added indicator desicant (at least tells when humidity is higher for a long period of time).

While a little easy to tip / drag, one could think about making a base for the safe to keep of the cold floor and above any light flooding (same for spacing away from block / cold walls).

Also would wander over to Brownells and look / request a paper catalog.  Also consider increasing oiling, inpartiuclar the bore.  Insert my standard plug for Brownell's Rust Preventive No. 2 here [;)]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top