Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2010 9:51:48 PM EDT
I need some help with my AR-15. It is shooting 3 rd burst and i do not know why it's doing it.  Also, after firing a few rds, the bolt doesn't seem to want to catch back for another round so i have to pull the charging handle again to re-cock it. Can someone please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Hurry up and buy a new trigger group before the ATF put you in federal pound you in the ass prison
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Twenty five 3 years

ETA:David Olofson - An ARFCOM member who loaned his AR15 to a friend to shoot at a range. While at the range, the rifle malfunctioned several times, firing more than one shot when the trigger was pulled and subsequently jamming. ATF caught wind of this and seize the firearm for investigation. The rifle was outfitted with a three-position selector switch that, on its own, does not make the firearm a machine gun. ATF tested the firearm and ruled that it was NOT a machine gun. Upon this ruling, a subsequent test was ordered using cartridges with significantly softer primers. This time the AR15 did fire more than one cartridge per trigger pull (which for those of you knowledgeable about AR15 mechanics and operation, are aware that a primer strike occurs every time the bolt closes - thus why the ammo is manufactured with hard primers) and a ruling was reissued declaring it an illegal machine gun. David Olofson stood trial and was convicted, as there is no provision in the machine gun ban legislation for malfunctioning firearms. He was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison. David's story is one which should enrage all firearm owners. The case essentially tells the public two things - (1) If your legal firearm malfunctions and fires more than one shot per trigger pull, you're a felon, and (2) the ATF can legally modify either the firearm in question, or the testing parameters of the firearm, in order to obtain the desired result. In any other instance, this would be considered "tampering with evidence". More about this grotesque abuse of government power against David can be found here. A copy of the brief can be found here

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks nightdh

I have been looking for that story ever since my last post

Didnt know AR15 was directly related

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Your disconnecter is probably broken
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks nightdh
I have been looking for that story ever since my last post
Didnt know AR15 was directly related

Pulled it from the ARFCOM 101 thread
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Broken disconnector or where disconnector meets the hammer, inspect and replace parts as necessary post haste.

MODS, DELETE THIS THREAD for OP'S SAFETY.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for your help!
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need some help with my AR-15. It is shooting 3 rd burst and i do not know why it's doing it.  Also, after firing a few rds, the bolt doesn't seem to want to catch back for another round so i have to pull the charging handle again to re-cock it. Can someone please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!  

Look for a chip on the disconnector , where it engages the hammer .  Or a chip at that place on the hammer .   Or both .  Or the disconnector spring upside down .

God bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
REMOVED PER COC
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a similar problem.  I finally figured out the buffer was lighter than std, and the carrier/bolt was slamming back so hard it was allowing the hammer to whack the disconnector.  This caused doubling, misfeeds, and other probs.  I put in a standard buffer and new disconnector and all is well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Twenty five 3 years

ETA:David Olofson - An ARFCOM member who loaned his AR15 to a friend to shoot at a range. While at the range, the rifle malfunctioned several times, firing more than one shot when the trigger was pulled and subsequently jamming. ATF caught wind of this and seize the firearm for investigation. The rifle was outfitted with a three-position selector switch that, on its own, does not make the firearm a machine gun. ATF tested the firearm and ruled that it was NOT a machine gun. Upon this ruling, a subsequent test was ordered using cartridges with significantly softer primers. This time the AR15 did fire more than one cartridge per trigger pull (which for those of you knowledgeable about AR15 mechanics and operation, are aware that a primer strike occurs every time the bolt closes - thus why the ammo is manufactured with hard primers) and a ruling was reissued declaring it an illegal machine gun. David Olofson stood trial and was convicted, as there is no provision in the machine gun ban legislation for malfunctioning firearms. He was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison. David's story is one which should enrage all firearm owners. The case essentially tells the public two things - (1) If your legal firearm malfunctions and fires more than one shot per trigger pull, you're a felon, and (2) the ATF can legally modify either the firearm in question, or the testing parameters of the firearm, in order to obtain the desired result. In any other instance, this would be considered "tampering with evidence". More about this grotesque abuse of government power against David can be found here. A copy of the brief can be found here

You left out a relevant part of the story.  From the wikipedia article on him:

Kiernicki testified that Olofson had told Kiernicki that the third position of the rifle's firing selector  was for automatic firing, but it jammed, court records indicate. He also testified Olofson told him he had fired the weapon on the automatic setting at that same range without a problem. According to Len Savage, a weaponry expert who runs Historic Arms LLC, BATFE paid Kiernicki an undisclosed amount of money for his testimony.

I see two ways to take that:
1) Kiernicki lied, and Olofson unjustly went to prison for it.
2) Kiernicki told the truth, and Olofson knew what he was doing.  Regardless of how you feel about a law, if you knowingly violate it, don't whine about the consequences.

As long as OP fixes it promptly and doesn't brag about it (and doesn't have enemies who claim he did), I suspect he's fine.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top