Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2010 5:41:54 AM EDT
Rifle is a EA j-15 preban.  After breaking the rifle apart and playing with the lower, this is the scenario.  Pull the trigger and the hammer goes into the firing position.  I keep the trigger to the rear and manually lower the hammer so it engages with the disconnect.  When I take my finger off the trigger, the hammer releases.  Neat party trick, but not a lot of fun on the range.  Before I go buying an entire fire control group, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace the disconnector.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help all.  Installed the disconnector and dry fired a bunch of times.  It seems to have done the trick.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I took it apart last night and found, first, that the spring was mashed down way shorter than a new spring is.  My first attempt at a remedy was just to replace the spring, but that didn't do the trick.  I then replaced the disconnector as well and viola, it's good to go.

Good call.  It's usually best to replace the more inexpensive part first, which is typically the spring, and then go from there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took it apart last night and found, first, that the spring was mashed down way shorter than a new spring is.  My first attempt at a remedy was just to replace the spring, but that didn't do the trick.  I then replaced the disconnector as well and viola, it's good to go.

Good call.  It's usually best to replace the more inexpensive part first, which is typically the spring, and then go from there.

Its usually best to figure out exactly whats wrong before replacing anything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Its usually best to figure out exactly whats wrong before replacing anything.

And that is often accomplished by trouble shooting
And troubleshooting is often done by parts swapping.  A fire on release condition can be caused by several things, but it does not make sense to replace more expensive parts if the problem is a bad spring.  Some bad parts are obvious to the eye, not all are.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top