Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveP1] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maga23:

3 in 1:
How to make a diy mill, with close to 50% of it from absolute crap.
Complete a 0% lower with it.
Upgrade the mill with a DRO (on page 3).
https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2109930

Incorrect.
View Quote
Correct...I have been doing it a long time, including being a FFL SOT 7 manufacturing NFA items.

If you have something to add to the conversation, we are all listening?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DaveP1:

Correct...I have been doing it a long time, including being a FFL SOT 7 manufacturing NFA items.

If you have something to add to the conversation, we are all listening?
View Quote
Everybody did it for 150+ years before there were DROs and CNCs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Subbed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
I am content with the eBay kits.  I've had mine for about 4 years.  The work well.  Only complaint is the batteries.  I forget to turn them off and run the batteries dead.  They last a while, 6-9 months maybe depending on use.

They are at least as accurate as my mill. As long as they have fresh batteries and the scales are kept reasonably clean, I haven't had any issues with losing my zeroes or anything noticable with incorrect  readings.
View Quote
I have been using my el cheapo DRO's with a tablet running Touch DRO for about a year now.  Other than a little learning curve and some quirks, I'm very happy with the setup.  That said, I will be getting a full sized Bridgeport one day.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mach:
I got the HF mini mill for $428 delivered and put $75 into DRO

They are accurate to 0.0005 inch

Over kill for a lower

You can do this without spending huge amounts of money that you guys are talking about.
View Quote

Unfortunately the HF are pretty much disposable.  You get a 90 day warranty.  After that, when the electronics go out, its 1/2 the cost of the machine to buy replacement parts, if they're even available.  Now its only good as parts or if somebody wanted to take on a big project.

The best upgrade I did for my HF mill was burn the electronics up and have an excuse to buy a precision matthews.  Factory installed DROs and a 5yr warranty.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Unfortunately the HF are pretty much disposable.  You get a 90 day warranty.  After that, when the electronics go out, its 1/2 the cost of the machine to buy replacement parts, if they're even available.  Now its only good as parts or if somebody wanted to take on a big project.

The best upgrade I did for my HF mill was burn the electronics up and have an excuse to buy a precision matthews.  Factory installed DROs and a 5yr warranty.
View Quote

Mine doesn't have any electronics except for the DROs I put on it.

You must have had a nicer one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Mine doesn't have any electronics except for the DROs I put on it.

You must have had a nicer one.
View Quote

This was mine.  https://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html
There's a couple circuit boards in the back of the headstock.  Mostly controlling the fan, lights, converting AC into DC, and a pot for your speed control.  And the motor is electric, and costs quite a significant percent of the mill's price if it ever needs replaced.
I'm no electrical wizard and didn't want to blindly throw dollars at it, so I just used it as an excuse to get a nicer mill.  They dude who bought it from me got down and dirty with a soldering iron on the controller board and got it up and running again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I got the HF mini mill for $428 delivered and put $75 into DRO

They are accurate to 0.0005 inch

Over kill for a lower

You can do this without spending huge amounts of money that you guys are talking about.

Which model did you get? Why that model?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#9]
Originally Posted By subroc:

View Quote

I got the precision Matthews 728vt with the DROs and a dividing head.  The power feed is backordered till like August, but I'll get one of those when they come in.

I knew for a while I wanted to go with that brand.  The reputation of the company and the Taiwanese Mill's sold me on them.  Honestly, it was the warranty that pushed me to this model.  Coming from the HF mill that crapped out and left me with zero support.  Then most of the PM benchtop Mill's are 3yr warranty.  The 728vt, aside from doing built a lot beefier, has a 5yr warranty.

I think it's an update grade from the HF one in every way.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]

I got the precision Matthews 728vt with the DROs and a dividing head.  The power feed is backordered till like August, but I'll get one of those when they come in.

I knew for a while I wanted to go with that brand.  The reputation of the company and the Taiwanese Mill's sold me on them.  Honestly, it was the warranty that pushed me to this model.  Coming from the HF mill that crapped out and left me with zero support.  Then most of the PM benchtop Mill's are 3yr warranty.  The 728vt, aside from doing built a lot beefier, has a 5yr warranty.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By subroc:

Looks like a fine choice for a bench top. I like the way the vertical columns are attached on their bench tops.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top