Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:36 AM EDT
Why are these damn things so hard to remove??

I feel I have beaten these pins like they owed me money or something and I still can't get them to budge. I've used a torch to heat the FSB, I have soaked them in penetrating fluid, NOTHING.

What do I have to do to get these damned pins out? I am cutting down the FSB to go under a full length rail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:04:28 AM EDT
Hammer and punch and a very solid bench vise so all your energy gets transferred to the pins.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:12:10 AM EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOA0jA0Ei74

This is generally the process. If memory serves, some pins are tapered, so there is a specific in/out direction. It's debatable if you need the bench-block though. You could probably skate by w/ just some wood.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:45 AM EDT
Get a taper pin punch to avoid flattening the heads. If they flatten, they will make a mess coming out, or never come out.

I froze my upper to get them out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:00:31 AM EDT
Damn these pins.

They still wont come out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 9:48:54 AM EDT by sledboy]
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
Damn these pins.

They still wont come out.

A 4 pound sledge got mine out! And no, I am not kidding! This was after I flattened them and had to grind down the part that I flattened. I was wondering if I was going to bend the barrel!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:52:49 AM EDT
Watching those brownell videos and seeing him lightly tap them out is pissing me off! Time for a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:22:52 AM EDT
VICTORY!

I had to put the upper on a concrete floor covered by a rug and then I beat on the pin with a heavy brass hammer directly onto the pin (no punch). Once the pin recessed a bit I was able to go to the punch. I had to beat the hand guard mount flat to get to the rear pin the same way. After that they came out easy. I had the FSB resting on a piece of 1x4 with a hole drilled in it so the pin could go down into it.

What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:32:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
VICTORY!

I had to put the upper on a concrete floor covered by a rug and then I beat on the pin with a heavy brass hammer directly onto the pin (no punch). Once the pin recessed a bit I was able to go to the punch. I had to beat the hand guard mount flat to get to the rear pin the same way. After that they came out easy. I had the FSB resting on a piece of 1x4 with a hole drilled in it so the pin could go down into it.

What a pain in the ass.

WOW, sounds like a lot of work for something that could have just been cut off on the barrel & sanded smooth to look nice. That was gonna be my suggestion, til I got to your last post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:34:25 PM EDT
SHOP PRESS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:02:29 PM EDT
Here is what all the trouble was for....

No before pics, no during pics, just the after.

I cut down the front sight base, which came out really good. That is the Troy MRF 13.5" rail. Good stuff. Now just a few hundred more dollars in parts and it will be as tacticool as possible.
Top Top