BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2003 7:12:49 AM EDT
just recently got my hands on a receiver.  so i immediately ordered the lower assembly.  i had it completely together then, bam. no long than me putting the drive pin in the lip breaks.  i seen discoloration in the forging.  I am going to call the manufacturer or Monday.  If they dont replace it i will give details. To all of you who think, it was probadly assembled wrong. you are crazy, this was about my 300 assembly/takedown. I spent 8 yrs in the army and 3 yrs of the 8 i was a armoror for a airbourne infantry company. Thats where the m-16/m-4 really get tested. I will let you guys know the outcome of tommorow and hopefully i wont have to drop any names..    
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
As I've said over and over use Armalite roll pins...not the split roll pins that gouge up the bore when you drive it in.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...  then, bam. no long than me putting the drive pin in the lip breaks. [/q"[/i]

i'm sorry, what lip?

"drive pin" = roll pin punch, or?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[/i]
View Quote

What?  [:P]

My favorites are "i seen discoloration" and "i was a armoror for a airbourne infantry company."  Siks munts ago i cudn't spel "armoror" and now i ar wun. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
aww. my favorite bumpersticker WELCOME TO AMERICA , NOW SPEAK ENGLISH.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What did he say???

Was that English??
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just recently got my hands on a receiver.  so i immediately ordered the lower assembly.  i had it completely together then, bam. no long than me putting the drive pin in the lip breaks.  i seen discoloration in the forging.  I am going to call the manufacturer or Monday.  If they dont replace it i will give details. To all of you who think, it was probadly assembled wrong. you are crazy, this was about my 300 assembly/takedown. I spent 8 yrs in the army and 3 yrs of the 8 i was a armoror for a airbourne infantry company. Thats where the m-16/m-4 really get tested. I will let you guys know the outcome of tommorow and hopefully i wont have to drop any names..    
View Quote

Translation: (Long Version)

I recently received a stripped lower, so I ordered a lower parts kit. I had it all assembled, except for the trigger guard. When I attempted to install the roll pin, without providing the proper support and by using a 3lb sledge, I broke the tab. At this time, I noticed the area around the broken tab was discolored.

Since the area around the tab was discolored, it is a reject and the area was obviously defective. As a result of this manufacturing defect, it is their fault that the tab broke when I attempted to pound in the roll pin.

I won't name the manufacturer of this defective lower, as it would not be right to crucify them until they have had a chance to replace my lower.

To any of you who think I assembled it incorrectly, you are obviously mistaken as I have been in the Army for 8 years, 3 of which where as an armourer for an Airborne company, which as you all know  is where the real testing of the M16/M4 was performed. I have assembled/disassembled over 300 M16/M4s and have never had this happen before.

I know you will all be waiting for the results of my phone call to the manufacturer, so I'll let you know what happens, especially if they don't offer to replace the lower (at no charge).

(Short Version)

I got a lower and parts kit. I took the doo-hickey and tried to bang it into the thing-ama-jig and the damned doo-hickey snapped off. Since there was no one around to blame, I noticed the area was discolored, so I'm gonna call the manufacturer and blame it on their obviously inferior product. I'm letting you know so that you can boycott the company if they don't give me a new lower, and to make it sound legit, I'm not gonna tell you who the company is, unless they don't fix what I broke.

For those who may question my ability, I thought of joining the Army at one time, and I've watched Platoon 3 times on TBS, so I know what I'm doing. You may notice that I don't use any of the terminology commonly used because in the Army the REAL names are classified. I don't know the unclassified terminology that you civilians use.

Stand-by for my update so you can give these guys hell!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys are brutal, I like it !!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As I've said over and over use Armalite roll pins...not the split roll pins that gouge up the bore when you drive it in.

Rick
View Quote

Yep.  I'm a believer in Armalite's roll pins, and have said so too on occasion here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep.  

Let's all get some of those .250" diameter Armalite roll pins and pound them into the muzzles of our rifles.  Run a couple of round thru 'er and shoot that sucker out.  Then check the bore and see if there are any gouges in it.

Can you believe this shit??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys are brutal, I like it !!
View Quote

Brutal? Nah... "Sensitive" to those lacking the command of the English language? Perhaps.

Yea, OK, I think it was brutal and great too![}:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#11]
You meant the roll pin on the trigger guard?

Was it a cast reciever?  Those are really easy to break.  After I busted my first one by bending it only a little bit, I made up a block to fully support those ears when tapping it in.

The forged recievers are much more forgiving.  You can bend those ears 90 degrees without them busting off.  I tried this on a raw forging I screwed up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Apparently skagnak06 didn't like the gentle ribbing I gave him about his post, and he sent me this IM message.  (I'll censor the curse words, but leave the grammar and punctuation intact):

disrespectful, what are you some type of person who searches the internet looking for follies. I assume because english is your second language because arabic must have been your first. oh,it must be hell holding a dictionary with on hand while you type with the other. never the less your a f**kin losser. not to mention your probadly tote a ruger 10/22 and take it in the a** you f**kin leg.
View Quote

Where did this brainless cretin come from, anyway?  And how do way make him go back there?   [:P]

Anybody else get one of these?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a fine example of the military exercising an equal opportunity employment policy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps a beneficiary of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anybody else get one of these?
View Quote

Not yet..

I think either he is still working on the vauge "you're gay, I'm tough shit, die be-yatch" one for some other users.. Or maybe he's having problems with the "submit" button. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]not to mention your probadly tote a ruger 10/22 and take it in the a** you f**kin leg.[/b]   Hey, I got a 10/22 that I take squrriel hunting. Do I fall into his category??? What do you have against the 10/22??? Everyone can't have your luck and have been in the army and get to fool around with an M16. Nothing wrong with the army, just your attitude.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
LMAO [rofl] [rofl2]

What a troll
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#18]
believe it or not it was a forged receiver from Double Star.

I took it to the local gunsmith.  He examined it and immediately said there was a difinite flaw in the casting.

I am in the process of trying to get a new receiver from them.  They difinitely sell substandard receivers.  Dont get me wrong they do have some good parts but they are the parts that are manufactured for them.

If you want a good receiver for the money go with olympic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
believe it or not it was a forged receiver from Double Star.

I took it to the local gunsmith.  He examined it and immediately said there was a difinite flaw in the casting.

I am in the process of trying to get a new receiver from them.  They difinitely sell substandard receivers.  Dont get me wrong they do have some good parts but they are the parts that are manufactured for them.

If you want a good receiver for the money go with olympic.
View Quote

ROFL here he goes again, I see this time he tried to be somewhat correct in his grammer, but still managed to make my head hurt. Dont know how a gunsmith could determine the reason for the breakage AFTER it broke, I'm sure a bent and broken tab could appear to be a defect to the untrained eye, which could apply to many gunsmiths. Also dont know why he would specifically recommend oly over other brands, many others are cheaper and reliable when assembled properly (IE: small hammer, support for tabs).
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Lock plz.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah hell, he mentioned his support for Oly.  Don't get me wrong, I like my Oly, but now those of who find our Oly rifles to be well made will now have to suffer the indignities of being lumped in with this guy.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I r a gun nutt.  I got me a gun.  It shots lowd.  I am hit a 7 min sirkul in 40 steps.  it shots a 223. bulat.  win i tak it to the rang it go bange.  it is a 20 bulat klip.  last nite i wuz bulding a new 1 and i brok it win i hit it to hard with a hamer.  the dumm pin jst wood not go in to plase.  I r gong to rite the maker a naste lettar and c if they will giv me a new 1.  careful guys thees thangs r not as strong as you wood thank.  win I wuz in da arme we gots to shot lots of big guns.  i even shot me 1 of dem dar m16 thangs.  it go bang reely fast.  i larned to put it togethr in nothin flat.  dont u talk sh!t to me u dirte but snifer.  i will cum threw this her coper curd fone lin and beat u up.  nuf sad

Damn that was hard.  You should try it sometime

nothing wrong with the army, I just couldn't resist the jab.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
believe it or not it was [red]a forged receiver[/red] from Double Star.

I took it to the local gunsmith.  He examined it and immediately said there was a difinite [red]flaw in the casting[/red].

View Quote

Nice logic there [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]
By all logical reasoning skagnak06 shouldn't post again, but something tells me he will. Let's see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I got one of his messages too! Unlike the one  homo-erectus got, it was difficult to understand, but I think he invited me down to Kentucky so he could personally respond.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Chances are pretty good that this guy does not have a CLUE.

My guess would be that Double Star has their lowers manufactured by a machine shop that makes other lowers such as RRA.

SO, was it FORGED or CAST?

i spint meny yeers in the Ormy and do not knowing a deffrance beetwen a FORGING or a CASTING but my hemmar hits vary hard when I worked on my new forcasting.

edited to add:  POST #420
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm with Demordrah...  Flaw in the CASTING???  wow.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
You guys crack me up.

On a more serious note, what's up with the Armalite roll pins?  I have put together several lowers with DPMS (all mil-spec, I believe) parts kits, with no problems as of yet.  Am I missing something?

[b]Or,[/b]

Yous guys are dat shit.

But git real, wadup wit da Armo-lite sheet?  My gats is all military-like -n- sheet, wit no problemo.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got one of his messages too! Unlike the one  homo-erectus got, it was difficult to understand, but I think he invited me down to Kentucky so he could personally respond.
View Quote

Why does the movie "Deliverance" suddenly come to mind?  [:O]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why does the movie "Deliverance" suddenly come to mind?  [:O]
View Quote

Squeal like a pig, boy!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#31]
GENTLEMEN, PLEASE!

Master At Arms, please conduct the unruly members out of the forum!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#32]
When I grow up, I, too, would like to be an armorer in the Mexican army.

Be... all you'll ever be.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Where are all of the f*uckinG Gs? God, come on, don't make me slap you till you pronounce words in their correct Grammatical form.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GENTLEMEN, PLEASE!

Master At Arms, please conduct the unruly members out of the forum!
View Quote

Quit whining.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I think we should tell him to use the receiver anyway.  With any luck, it'll blow up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I do plan on using the receiver anyhow.  Hopefully it will not blow up as some a**hole said. Equally to the a**hole that said that, I hope you crash and burn.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
This just gets funnier and funnier.  At least your grammar has improved.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#38]
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#39]
On a serious note.  When the lip of the receiver broke, I was light tapping it with a very small brass hammer.  The roll pin was already started and was straight. The trigger guard was also in place and the lip was supported by a small piece of wood.  The receiver should have gone together no problem.

I am just trying to say, dont waste your time on a Double Star lower.  If you want a plinker use a Olympic, RRA, PWA, etc.  If you have the money buy the Bushmaster or the Colt.  If you get fired from your job like HOMO just kill yourself.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
On a serios note.  When the lip of the receiver broke, I was light tapping it with a very small brass hammer.  The roll pin was already started and was straight. The trigger guard was also in place and the lip was supported by a small piece of wood.  The receiver should have gone together no problem.

I am just trying to say, dont waste your time on a Double Star lower.  If you want a plinker use a Olympic, RRA, PWA, etc.  If you have the money buy the Bushmaster or the Colt.  If you get fired from your job like HOMO just kill yourself.  
View Quote

obviously a different person
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, there are only a few manufactures of lowers.  You probably named two or three of  the companys that use the same lower as Double Star.  If you screwed up and broke it, forget about it and get another lower.  Oh yeah, I have to ask: if you broke it how can you continue to use it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]
The flaw in the "FORGING" was actually pretty obvious.  There was a blacken area running midway through the broken lip and the place where it seperated at the receiver.

Reguardless, Double Star receivers are potty.  I attached it to my FN upper, the same upper my DMPS is mounted.  When attached the play was extreme.  The lower actually clung to the upper at the back radius so bad it had to be smacked loose.

Double Star lower for sale.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#43]
It is actually pretty easy to operate a lower with one trigger guard lip broken, but attached.
It would just brake my heart to look down and see a crack in my rifle's receiver.  Even the thought alone bothers me.

Double Star claims they get there "FORGINGS" from the same company as Bushmaster.  I do know for a fact that they do all the machine work on tthier own CNCs.  

FS/ Double Star lower complete(lowered)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On a serios note.
View Quote

Seriosly now, shut the hell up and let the man tell his story.

(edited for punctuation, a novel concept around here.)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a serios note.
View Quote

View Quote

OK DAD!

You must not be able to read the above posts or you would have noticed he has ALREADY told his story. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a serios note.
View Quote

View Quote

OK DAD!

You must not be able to read the above posts or you would have noticed he has ALREADY told his story. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Seriously, he's just trying to cover up now, he's already made himself look like a dumbass several times over; first for hammering his lower to pieces, second by trying to blame the breakage on flaws, third for his horrible usage of the english language. I am sure there are more.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Lock. This is way outta control mods.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seriously, he's just trying to cover up now, he's already made himself look like a dumbass several times over; first for hammering his lower to pieces, second by trying to blame the breakage on flaws, third for his horrible usage of the english language. I am sure there are more.
View Quote

Like the following...

Quoted:
believe it or not it was a [red]forged[/red] receiver from Double Star.

I took it to the local gunsmith. He examined it and immediately said there was a difinite flaw in the [red]casting[/red].
View Quote

So, was it a forged lower or was it a cast lower???
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#49]
this is flipping great!!!  [ROFL]

You guys kick ass!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I told you guys not to use hammers, how to PRESS in pins.  But would you listen... noooooo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top