Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now factory coated in FDE even. Same price, same warranty, same everything. Flat dark earth!

http://www.primaryarms.com/MD-RB-AD-FDE

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MD-RB-AD-FDEonAK.jpg

Merry Christmas, Arfcommers!
View Quote
Soooo, "wolf gray" by end of January?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wish they would blacken their logo like the T1/2 APs
View Quote
Logo on mine is not blacked out completely, but not white. Its a dark grey
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Soooo, "wolf gray" by end of January?
View Quote
If it only had the circle dot or ACSS reticle. I’d buy it in a second.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
X2.......got mine today and I am extremely impressed with its build quality. Glass is great, the housing seems to be built like a tank, and ill go out there and say that the brightness rotary knob has more positive clicks than my T2.  Basically, at $69.99 (blem) the dam thing was a STEAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine came today and it exceeded my expectations by a long shot.
X2.......got mine today and I am extremely impressed with its build quality. Glass is great, the housing seems to be built like a tank, and ill go out there and say that the brightness rotary knob has more positive clicks than my T2.  Basically, at $69.99 (blem) the dam thing was a STEAL
The T2 knob actually seems like a regression from the T1.  Disappointing
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Logo on mine is not blacked out completely, but not white. Its a dark grey
View Quote
I see that now.  Better than white for sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The logo on mine is also a grey shade. Better than most of the neon white that seems to be the norm these days.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Put my blem on my 11.5" pistol, above it is my 14.5" carbine. The pistol is kind of my backup to the 14.5, which is still probably my favorite configuration, and wears an Aimpoint R1.
This new micro is really pretty impressive.
I have one of the old 1k hr battery life PA micros, and while I haven't had any issues with it, it feels cheap. This thing feels way more solid, and if it holds up to initial testing I'd have a hard time justifying 3-4x the money for an Aimpoint unless it was on a duty gun, and even then it'd be tough.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Somebody needs to make a T1 level durability sight with pricing closer to the PRO and with a warranty that inspires confidence.
View Quote
They do, it's called the T1.

It's just that Aimpoint has us over the barrel and they know it, so they price it in kidney territory.    

I got a bunch of Aimpoints of varying types, but that's just the way it is.   Prices should come down as various competitors get good track records.

Definitely want to give one of these a try though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They do, it's called the T1 .

It's just that Aimpoint has us over the barrel and they know it, so they price it in kidney territory.    

I got a bunch of Aimpoints of varying types, but that's just the way it is.   Prices should come down as various competitors get good track records.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody needs to make a T1 level durability sight with pricing closer to the PRO and with a warranty that inspires confidence.
They do, it's called the T1 .

How when the T1 is $200 more?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
think hes implying PRO money is where the T1 should be priced
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm a leap before looking type of guy. How bad did I fuck up by removing the Phillips screw? I just got mine and proceeded to yank all screws from the short mount. Then I read the instruction manual. It says "may" cause problems. I assume there is some sort of seal or something.
View Quote
Ain't nothing idiot-proof anymore, they delivered the 2018 models early this year...
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone who has used both, compare a Holosun to this PA sight? I need to replace my T1 on a Glock, and I'm looking for the clearest and most durable sight between the two. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
have one of the older PA microdots, happy with it, no issues for past few years.
if i didnt have one, id have no problem getting one of those blems, especially since i dont see that as a blem, and the price is near impossible to beat.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have both. Of course I'm a biased source, hopefully more guys chime in besides an employee of the company. I think the new MD-RB-AD is, apples to apples, a better sight than our Holosun-made MD-ADS. Is it better enough that I'm going to put my trusty old MD-ADS up on the equipment exchange or give it to a friend for Christmas? No, I'm keeping it. It's an evolutionary improvement, not a revolutionary change. If you look at the statistics, the specifications, they are pretty similar. But the new one should be tougher, I think it's more solidly built. We left out the whiz-bang wowee features like motion sensors, solar panels, and that stuff, in favor of building a tougher sight that does the same basic job.

Photo of me with the new FDE version on my SBR, just because I'm vain (sorry) and also to show off how nicely the FDE matches Magpul furniture.

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MikeFDEmicrodotWallpaper.jpg
View Quote
Not to mention it's also $20 cheaper and I prefer the rotary knob.  I have an MD-SP I bought from you guys a few years ago.  I think it was a similar "blem".  Which model is this equivalent to?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that but it could confuse newer folks.

The T1 is probably a 500.00 optic.  The T2 is a 600.00 optic, max.  I have paid for two Larue combos brand new, and they're pricey.  Over the life of the optic 600.00 vs 800.00 may be incidental.

I will say if AP brought prices down a bit and developed a 25mm "micro", it would further differentiate them as an option.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have both. Of course I'm a biased source, hopefully more guys chime in besides an employee of the company. I think the new MD-RB-AD is, apples to apples, a better sight than our Holosun-made MD-ADS. Is it better enough that I'm going to put my trusty old MD-ADS up on the equipment exchange or give it to a friend for Christmas? No, I'm keeping it. It's an evolutionary improvement, not a revolutionary change. If you look at the statistics, the specifications, they are pretty similar. But the new one should be tougher, I think it's more solidly built. We left out the whiz-bang wowee features like motion sensors, solar panels, and that stuff, in favor of building a tougher sight that does the same basic job.

Photo of me with the new FDE version on my SBR, just because I'm vain (sorry) and also to show off how nicely the FDE matches Magpul furniture.

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/MikeFDEmicrodotWallpaper.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely in the "simple and tough" camp when it comes to optics. I like the knob over the push button, seems like an easier system. The big thing I've heard as a win for the Holosun is the circle and dot reticle versus just the dot you offer. On a pistol the circle makes it easier to pick up your point of aim. I've used a T1 on my Glock for a while and it wasn't terrible, but I can see how the circle would be handy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dammit packingXDs, I wrote that manual for a reason. It even says "STOP: READ THIS FIRST" right on the front.

Your nitrogen purging is probably gone, that's the port for it, which means your internal fogproofing won't be as good, and it's likely moisture will get into the unit at this point. Welp, that's what the lifetime warranty is for, if you have issues just send it into us, we can re-purge it for you and make it good to go again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a leap before looking type of guy. How bad did I fuck up by removing the Phillips screw? I just got mine and proceeded to yank all screws from the short mount. Then I read the instruction manual. It says "may" cause problems. I assume there is some sort of seal or something.
Dammit packingXDs, I wrote that manual for a reason. It even says "STOP: READ THIS FIRST" right on the front.

Your nitrogen purging is probably gone, that's the port for it, which means your internal fogproofing won't be as good, and it's likely moisture will get into the unit at this point. Welp, that's what the lifetime warranty is for, if you have issues just send it into us, we can re-purge it for you and make it good to go again.
I know. I saw the warning when I placed all the screws on the manual.
Figured I shot myself in the foot. Good to know you guys will take care of idiots like me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know that I saw this posted earlier in the thread but I was looking around today and found these in case anyone is still interested in the blems:

FDE blems
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Got another one! In FDE too!!! Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Should the NV1 and NV2 settings be visible to the naked eye?  I'm assuming not.  Some guys on another forum mentioned this, and sure enough I can see the red dot on both night vision settings on both of the 'blems' I received.  I don't plan on using NV, but I'm wondering if these are really more "blem" than they say?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, it looks like N1 and N2 can be visible to the naked eye on both the blems and the "regular" models. That's unplanned and not what we were expecting when I wrote the user manual. But the emitters on these optics are identical for all the models, meaning that this issue is also identical for all the models, sadly.
View Quote
Well, I don't have night vision and don't really plan on it, but I guess if I did this model would not work properly?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#26]
How many guys in the real world use $70-150 optics with NV worth a $1-3K?  JW
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How many guys in the real world use $70-150 optics with NV worth a $1-3K?  JW
View Quote
That's not really the point.  I don't think it's malicious, but it looks like the capabilities of a few of their micro dots are just incorrect on their site.  These weren't blems because the NV didn't really work, they were blems because the holes were drilled incorrectly.  And per their own admission, even the $150 red dot uses the same emitter and would have the same problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not malicious, believe me. We were told the night vision would not be visible to the naked eye, but that's not what we are seeing in the production units. A solution is being discussed and will be implemented, but it's not something that happens overnight, since we became aware of this issue, uh... this week.
View Quote
Don't get me wrong, I've always had great experience with Primary Arms, but how is this just an issue this week?  If it uses the same emitter, has no one on the $150 unit or the "blems" noticed that the dot is visible on NV1/NV2 until now?  Obviously you guys would do some QC on these?  Perhaps this is unique to a new shipment or this is an upgrade to the existing model?  I trust you guys will get it figured out and I'd expect nothing less from you guys.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#31]
So just to be clear, the night vision settings on PA optics aren't really useable night vision settings?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Who uses the optic for NV in an y serious use?  Get a helmet and IR laser.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#34]
For the price I paid for the blem and the overall quality, for my application, winnnnnninggggg

Thanks for a great buy PA

Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doesn't the military mount night vision ( Pvs 14) behind Eotechs and Aimpoints?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They are usable but depending on application might damage the optic over time. For that reason I would say no-go. At a minimum, use extreme caution and know what your application is before putting a NV optic behind the MD-RB-AD series of red dots. The older MD-ADS will be fine though, that one is made in a different factory and does not have this issue.
View Quote
What about the full size PA  
red dot? Are the night vision settings good?
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

who said anything about serious use???
The only reason I bought this thing was to be able to use it on my 22, and move the aimpoint to my hd carbine.
No way I buy this dot if Primary Arms doesn't advertise it as having NV settings, been pissed at myself for falling for this since I it took it out of the box.
Gonna try  to return it tomorrow, been putting off dealing with them since it arrived, glad I waited since the defect has been acknowledged by them now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I need a micro dot on a pistol, one that I don't want to mount an IR laser to. So having an optic that I can use while wearing my helmet would be handy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I got mine today and I am amazed at the quality of it for what I paid. I just wish I would have bought another one before they were gone. I might just have to get the FDE one instead dang it.

and yes I can also see the two night vision settings with the naked eye but I don't care because I have no plans on using night vision and hell they might be better for low light conditions. and I have astigmatism and without my glasses, the dot is a bit of a starburst but not bad compared to other red dots  I own. it is still very usable and with my glasses on its almost a perfect dot so I am a very happy camper thanks, PA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
yes...actually this thing will be great for low light, however I bought it because I had heard good things about Primary Arms and they were saying these had NV settings, so I took the bait ...
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do.  I've got a set of sentinels, and I utilize a riser to shoot through an eotech.  Why?  Because it's a capability I have and I want to utilize it.  Also, I was going to mount the new micro to a buck mark and shoot through it (like I do with my rmr on my Roland special).  The new micro is awesome, and if I build another rifle I'm not going to shoot at night, or they fix the NV settings, I'll absolutely buy one to use.  As is, I've had to return two because they were to bright to use even with head mounted goggles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Well shit I ordered a tan one to see what the fuss is all about. Just got a holosun for the glock so this will probably end up on my 556 SBR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of high speed guys. It’s the new hotness. Put a riser on your gun and run that pvs14 on your dominant eye and have the ability to use your red dot just like normal. It works flawlessly if you set it up right. Not to mention there unless worry about dot burn since your head is always moving and the dot won’t be in the same spot for long.

You also have the option to use your LAM too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well shit I ordered a tan one to see what the fuss is all about. Just got a holosun for the glock so this will probably end up on my 556 SBR.
View Quote
Let me know what you think between the two.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll try and remember to make a thread. Why are you getting rid of your aimpoint?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'll try and remember to make a thread. Why are you getting rid of your aimpoint?
View Quote
Not getting rid of it, just moved it to my truck gun. Having an aimpoint on a pistol that I shoot a few times a year didn't make sense. I still want something reliable, but don't need another aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not getting rid of it, just moved it to my truck gun. Having an aimpoint on a pistol that I shoot a few times a year didn't make sense. I still want something reliable, but don't need another aimpoint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger. I really wanted a aimpoint for the glock but got the holosun for the same reason.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Jumped on the blem sale to add to my growing PA collection.
Too good a price to pass up.

I'm definitely in the ACSS reticle camp, though. You guys really need to make that happen. I could see the CQB version selling like hot cakes.

I have the 3X ACSS CQB Prism scope, and the 4-14 ACSS HUD DMR is my go-to on my "varmint-slayer" AR.  I went through over 2,000 rds of 50gr ballistic tip this season on p-dogs. That scope is the cat's ass!  The wind-hold dots made shooting in these Kansas breezes a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#49]
It looks like they do have a fix (new circuit board) if you'd like to deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to hold off on PA until the night vision settings are fixed.

Without night vision settings might as well buy the much cheaper TRS 25.......
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top