Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for that, I still need to get it mounted to see if I can deal with it or not.   Anything above setting 3 doesn't look good.   But that might be fine.  I just figured it would be like the PST I just sold..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My astigmatisms is “pretty bad” according to my ophthalmologist and I do not see a “f’ing comet” through mine.  Of course everbody’s eyes are different. Just to be sure, you’re setting the brightness level for the correct lighting conditions, right?  I just pulled mine out and if I’m looking at a darker target and it’s set too bright it’ll look like said f’ing comet.
Thanks for that, I still need to get it mounted to see if I can deal with it or not.   Anything above setting 3 doesn't look good.   But that might be fine.  I just figured it would be like the PST I just sold..
That certainly is strange, especially since you didn’t have issues with other etched reticles. Although, the PST isn’t nearly as bright as the P4Xi, so you need a lower setting on the P4Xi to achieve similar brightness as the PST. Where the P4Xi shines is when it’s truly daylight bright. Not sure if there are any scopes in its price range with similar glass who can proclaim that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This a review I found on optics planet.   Wish I had seen it sooner, but it is what it is..

""I have a severe astigmatism and cannot use dot scopes, so I decided to buy this scope thinking that the illuminated dot was etched on a prism instead of being projected on the lens like a dot scope. Unfortunately, the scope uses the same mechanism as a dot scope in projecting the dot on the cross hair. This results in a distorted illuminated dot if you have a astigmatism. I contacted Steiner and they confirmed that this scope will not work with those who have astigmatism.

This scope is designed to sight it in and then forget it! This scope is not designed to adjust holdovers with the turrets, the BDC reticle is used for this. The turrets are mushy, and because the graduations are so cluttered, its difficult to align precisely with the indicator mark on the tube which a about .128 inch from the both the windage and elevation turrets.

By default, the scope is set up to turn of the reticle after three hours of continuous use. This behavior can be disabled.

The glass and field of view is excellent for a scope in this price range.""

I really need to get it on the rifle, and run with it.   Been so crazy with work, leave when dark, get home when dark, guess it depends on how bright it is in daylight.    Unless it's defective which I doubt..
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The weekend before last, I was camping and shooting with my BCM mini recce that wears a P4Xi and overnight at around 7,550ft it got into the low 20s (so obviously the optic froze) and when I adjusted the magnification from 4x to 1x the following morning, the scope audibly hissed at me. It has been on the rifle for a year and a half, has over 3,500 rounds under it, and rides in the truck getting knocked around off-road all the time and I've never had any issues with it prior to that. I assume a seal shrunk or outright failed allowing the pressurized nitrogen to escape.

I feared that it would begin fogging internally or start exhibiting some other detrimental effects, so I took it back out the following weekend and got it really cold and wet again and it exhibited no fogging or other issues. I then warmed it up quickly in the truck, and vice versa, but observed no detrimental effects. Throughout the weekend, it saw 6,400+ feet in elevation changes quickly, I dropped it twice from waist-height onto frozen ground, and put 180 rounds through it quickly while still wet and frozen, and it still functions without any fogging, glare, illumination issues, loss of zero, etc.

I am still concerned about the noise I heard the week before as I've never had an optic do that before, so I think I'm going to submerge it, adjust the magnification a few times and leave it overnight to see if there's any moisture intrusion. I love everything about this scope so I'm hoping it survives the test, but I'd rather know for sure than have it fail at an inopportune time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You should give Steiner CS a call and see what they recommend.  Keep us posted on what happens.

Quoted:
The weekend before last, I was camping and shooting with my BCM mini recce that wears a P4Xi and overnight at around 7,550ft it got into the low 20s (so obviously the optic froze) and when I adjusted the magnification from 4x to 1x the following morning, the scope audibly hissed at me. It has been on the rifle for a year and a half, has over 3,500 rounds under it, and rides in the truck getting knocked around off-road all the time and I've never had any issues with it prior to that. I assume a seal shrunk or outright failed allowing the pressurized nitrogen to escape.

I feared that it would begin fogging internally or start exhibiting some other detrimental effects, so I took it back out the following weekend and got it really cold and wet again and it exhibited no fogging or other issues. I then warmed it up quickly in the truck, and vice versa, but observed no detrimental effects. Throughout the weekend, it saw 6,400+ feet in elevation changes quickly, I dropped it twice from waist-height onto frozen ground, and put 180 rounds through it quickly while still wet and frozen, and it still functions without any fogging, glare, illumination issues, loss of zero, etc.

I am still concerned about the noise I heard the week before as I've never had an optic do that before, so I think I'm going to submerge it, adjust the magnification a few times and leave it overnight to see if there's any moisture intrusion. I love everything about this scope so I'm hoping it survives the test, but I'd rather know for sure than have it fail at an inopportune time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I can live with it.  So playing with it tonight, 1-4 setting is tolerable with the astigmatism.

Still have not had a chance to see it in a daylight setting, just house lights.  At the 5 setting the red starts to shoot up the vertical line a bit, but could live with it if I needed to go that high of a setting.  At 7,8 and 9 it starburst pretty good and really lights up the vertical line specially at the top.   10 no way in hell.

Hulk9281  Is this what you are seeing as well, granted eye sight from person to person is what it is..

Either way I can't see needing to go above 5 for a setting, and feel probably 3 to 4 would be fine for all around.    The thing really is crystal clear, that's a given!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I can live with it.  So playing with it tonight, 1-4 setting is tolerable with the astigmatism.

Still have not had a chance to see it in a daylight setting, just house lights.  At the 5 setting the red starts to shoot up the vertical line a bit, but could live with it if I needed to go that high of a setting.  At 7,8 and 9 it starburst pretty good and really lights up the vertical line specially at the top.   10 no way in hell.

Hulk9281  Is this what you are seeing as well, granted eye sight from person to person is what it is..

Either way I can't see needing to go above 5 for a setting, and feel probably 3 to 4 would be fine for all around.    The thing really is crystal clear, that's a given!
View Quote
I’m in PA and it’s been overcast with snow past few days. I just looked through and at settings up to 5 it’s perfect. 6 and above I start to see a little bit of a burst/blooming that progressively gets worse. If I recall, the last one I had I could run it on brightest setting in the summer sunshine with no issues. When I look through it in a lighted room 5 and above, I start to see the burst/blooming. It’s a non issue then because it’s too bright for that lighting situation anyways. You just have to adjust the brightness based on your lighting situation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You should give Steiner CS a call and see what they recommend.  Keep us posted on what happens.
View Quote
I went ahead and submerged it for 24 hours and adjusted the magnification underwater a few times. It came out fine, no leaks or moisture intrusion. Everything functions fine... and it's extra clean now.

I don't know what caused the "pssshh" sound from the ocular bell, but it doesn't appear to have affected the function of the optic at all.

Pics on my IG for anyone interested in the dunk test, @low_speed_high_drag.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a mini torture test..   Good to see the results!

Okay,  so I actually brought mine to work to see it in the daylight and I am fine with it, no f'ing comet.   In bright light or against a white building it does very well.   Still a bit starry after level 5 but looks fine and I can live with it.   My guess is it was more pronounced (astigmatism wise) in a darker setting.    It is a light gathering machine in a daylight setting, and the dot shows up very well.

Still have a bit of bleed into the horz & vertical reticle but have read that happening in many reviews.

Over all I think I will like it,   just need to get out and shoot it..
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
BDC works with 175g at 2,580fps per Steiner. 62g 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're hitting on why I'm going ACOG and other options; I tried a Vortex Razor and saw just what you saw and I suspect it's because it's a dot in the center of the reticle being lit up vs the whole reticle being lit up. Either way I'm perusing other avenues... no matter how tempting the Steiner is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went ahead and submerged it for 24 hours and adjusted the magnification underwater a few times. It came out fine, no leaks or moisture intrusion. Everything functions fine... and it's extra clean now.

I don't know what caused the "pssshh" sound from the ocular bell, but it doesn't appear to have affected the function of the optic at all.

Pics on my IG for anyone interested in the dunk test, @low_speed_high_drag.
View Quote
Well that’s one way to check it...

I’m glad it turned out good!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Well that’s one way to check it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:Well that’s one way to check it...

Me too. I've really grown to love the P4Xi, so I'm pleased that I don't have to send it in. I have an unfortunate propensity towards killing optics and in my opinion, even the best customer service can't make up for the PITA to dismount, ship, wait for the return, remount and zero, confirm function, hope the refurb/replacement doesn't fail again, etc. I'm at the point now where if something breaks for any reason under normal use, I no longer trust it and sell it and move on after it's been repaired or replaced. I'm hopeful that the P4Xi's longevity is as good as its glass.

Quoted:
It kind of ended up that way. I don't blatantly abuse my equipment or run up high round counts in training any more, but I don't own any safe queens either and just want to be able to trust my gear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
What scope height to use for strelok pro w a larue 204 mount?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What scope height to use for strelok pro w a larue 204 mount?
View Quote
Should be 1.5”
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s 1.5 over rail. You need over bore center.
Should be 2.7-2.75 with the 204
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This a review I found on optics planet.   Wish I had seen it sooner, but it is what it is..

""I have a severe astigmatism and cannot use dot scopes, so I decided to buy this scope thinking that the illuminated dot was etched on a prism instead of being projected on the lens like a dot scope. Unfortunately, the scope uses the same mechanism as a dot scope in projecting the dot on the cross hair. This results in a distorted illuminated dot if you have a astigmatism. I contacted Steiner and they confirmed that this scope will not work with those who have astigmatism.

This scope is designed to sight it in and then forget it! This scope is not designed to adjust holdovers with the turrets, the BDC reticle is used for this. The turrets are mushy, and because the graduations are so cluttered, its difficult to align precisely with the indicator mark on the tube which a about .128 inch from the both the windage and elevation turrets.

By default, the scope is set up to turn of the reticle after three hours of continuous use. This behavior can be disabled.

The glass and field of view is excellent for a scope in this price range.""

I really need to get it on the rifle, and run with it.   Been so crazy with work, leave when dark, get home when dark, guess it depends on how bright it is in daylight.    Unless it's defective which I doubt..
View Quote
This was going to be my next optic until I read this. Sucks to hear. Back to the drawing board. Who in the same price range has something that for work for those of us with astigmatisms?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Okay,  so I actually brought mine to work to see it in the daylight and I am fine with it, no f'ing comet.   In bright light or against a white building it does very well.   Still a bit starry after level 5 but looks fine and I can live with it.   My guess is it was more pronounced (astigmatism wise) in a darker setting.    It is a light gathering machine in a daylight setting, and the dot shows up very well.

Still have a bit of bleed into the horz & vertical reticle but have read that happening in many reviews.

Over all I think I will like it,   just need to get out and shoot it..
View Quote
My moderate astigmatism wasn't and issue with the P4Xi in my limited experience with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My moderate astigmatism wasn't and issue with the P4Xi in my limited experience with it.
View Quote
Same. It wasn't an issue whatsoever.

I miss my Steiner but it went to a good new home.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same. It wasn't an issue whatsoever.

I miss my Steiner but it went to a good new home.
View Quote
Same here for me. Every red dot is a starburst for me, it’s not terrible but it’s there.  The Steiner is a perfect dot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here for me. Every red dot is a starburst for me, it’s not terrible but it’s there.  The Steiner is a perfect dot.
View Quote
Good news. I wish I could see one in person still.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This was going to be my next optic until I read this. Sucks to hear. Back to the drawing board. Who in the same price range has something that for work for those of us with astigmatisms?
View Quote
I have astigmatism as well and it's a non issue.  You get some blooming if it's set too high for the light setting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking at a reddot inside will bloom most of the time. When outside in brighter light the dot bloom is not as obvious.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I found it was more prominent inside on a say the 4 to 5 setting.

Outside shooting a couple of weeks ago, and it was not an issue at all.   As long as I don't go above 6 or 7 the dot is fine.   Like mentioned though at the higher setting it will start to bleed up the reticle.

Great optic and I have no plan to change it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing im unable to find out. The reticle Steiner P4Xi uses, is it mRad? Meaning, if I zero it to 100m, those holdovers work at 200 etc meters?

US only uses yards when reviewing this scope and im not sure if there are two options, one for holdovers in meters and second one in holdover in yards.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Someone smarter then me could perhaps clarify, what am I seeing here? I turn it to 4x and zero it to 200 yards - as most things are pointed out both in cm and inches (and some only in cm), but what are the holdover marks 300/400/500/600 yards or meters?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Someone smarter then me could perhaps clarify, what am I seeing here? I turn it to 4x and zero it to 200 yards - as most things are pointed out both in cm and inches (and some only in cm), but what are the holdover marks 300/400/500/600 yards or meters?
View Quote
Yards. It's a BDC reticle. Clicks are in MOA, parallax is preset at 100 yards, zero is specified at 200 yards, etc. Not sure why it's that confusing. They just listed the substension details in both standard and metric for reference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]

I asked Steiner directly and this is supposedly the "2016 reticle guide" thats quite different from the others ive seen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.upload.ee/image/9357935/Steiner2016.jpg

I asked Steiner directly and this is supposedly the "2016 reticle guide" thats quite different from the others ive seen.
View Quote
The pictogram is obviously incorrect because their holdover listing has 200 yards at 0 MOA holdover.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I uploaded the 2016 reticle guide that was sent to me: 2016 reticle guide
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I uploaded the 2016 reticle guide that was sent to me: 2016 reticle guide
View Quote
I believe you, Im just saying they made errors in the pictogram.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Here is M855 @2850 (14.5 inch barrel) 200 yard zero 2.6" over bore
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#33]
How are you getting the two cross over points for zero to show up on your strelok? Mine won't show the zero distance on reticle, just the next distance hash down.  Would like my numbers to match up as nicely as that to the hashes. Just got a used p4xi with a 1.9 height mount and it is pretty nice. Needed something with bullet drop and covered turrets since my swfa turrets turned on me at my last 5k run n gun
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
idk there is a setting for show near and far zero cant find it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
idk there is a setting for show near and far zero i cant find it now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Found it. When looking at the reticle view there is a setting tab at the bottom and just click the box and bam. Thanks for letting me know what it was called.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/354072/Screenshot_20181228-204221_png-788678.JPG
Here is M855 @2850 (14.5 inch barrel) 200 yard zero 2.6" over bore
View Quote
What am I seeing here? Is this a program of some sort?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:20:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
@subroc its an app called strelok pro theres a version on apple store and one on google play store. It cost like $12 to unlock the full version which gives access to thousands of reticles of scopes. You can add your cartridge specs (ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, weight), altitude and find your scopes reticle. Set your zero and itll give you an idea of where your scopes holdovers will be relative to reticles. You can even add or subtract clicks to try to tune your ammo for the scope BDC. Theres reticles for Trijicon ACOGs, Accupowers, Steiners, Primary Arms optics, Vortex (Razor, Strike Eagle), Nightforce, Eotechs, MIL style, MOA style, even plain red dots (2,3,4,6 MOA dot sizes) its impossible to list them all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@subroc its an app called strelok pro theres a version on apple store and one on google play store. It cost like $12 to unlock the full version which gives access to thousands of reticles of scopes. You can add your cartridge specs (ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, weight), altitude and find your scopes reticle. Set your zero and itll give you an idea of where your scopes holdovers will be relative to reticles. You can even add or subtract clicks to try to tune your ammo for the scope BDC. Theres reticles for Trijicon ACOGs, Accupowers, Steiners, Primary Arms optics, Vortex (Razor, Strike Eagle), Nightforce, Eotechs, MIL style, MOA style, even plain red dots (2,3,4,6 MOA dot sizes) its impossible to list them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I watched some of a couple vids about the program. Lot of ways to use it. I can see the benefit. i will watch more later and see if it is a program that will be of use to me for the few scopes I have.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Who has the best price on this scope?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are mil or a first responder, DSG Arms has it for $490, but its backordered.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Message sent. Check your IM’s.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Went up from last year. Used to be $450 LEO/MIL price. Good thing I got a killer deal on a used one in a quick release mount.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking for a bruiser optic for the SD plains. Will be used on a yote gun at temperatures down below 0º F, glass clarity is important.

Steiner holding up well under abuse or pony up for a NF 1-4 NXS?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Are there different SKUs for the 7.62 version?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is only one version of the P4Xi 1-4x. Steiner says the BDC should be able to work decently enough for both 5.56 and 7.62
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There is only one version of the P4Xi 1-4x. Steiner says the BDC should be able to work decently enough for both 5.56 and 7.62
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn’t they used to make a version specific to 7.62?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Didn't they used to make a version specific to 7.62?
View Quote
That's the T5xi 1-5x I think they had a Military model 1-5 in 7.62 as well. T5xi is about the price of a new Razor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looking for a bruiser optic for the SD plains. Will be used on a yote gun at temperatures down below 0º F, glass clarity is important.

Steiner holding up well under abuse or pony up for a NF 1-4 NXS?
View Quote
I wouldn't say I've abused mine, but I sure like it!  Enough that I just sprang for a second used one off the e&e.  I'm surprised that 4x is enough mag for the SD plains?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#50]
For those with astigmatism:
This has been my personal experience. I was using an Aimpoint PRO and started seeing the starburst. I was lucky enough to sell it and try the Steiner P4Xi. I had no issues with the illuminated red dot in the Steiner and did not see any starburst. My astigmatism is about 1.75 so it is pretty bad. Just my two cents.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top