Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:57:27 AM EDT
I checked the search on this site and was unable to find any information on this, so I need help.

I am interested in a Leupold 3.5X10 FFP Scope, but I never had a scope with the reticle in the FFP and I am afraid that at 3.5X, the reticle will be too small. If anyone has any experience with these, please let me know. I was also checking out the Horus Vision Super Falcon 4X16.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:42:17 AM EDT
I gues no one has any info...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
I have a little experience with this. A friend of mine has a 3.5-10X40 with a Premier Gen2 Mildot on his LTR After using his scope I personally decided i have no use for the FFP as like you asked the reticle was super small at 3.5X and I couldn't see any of the mil-dots only the crosshair. Basically it turned the scope into a dublex reticle. Now at 10X it looked and worked fine. And maybe on a reticle with larger rangefinding features it would work OK too... but the Mil-dot was essentially usless at 3.5X... Sorry I forget at exactly what power the dots were still usable... Anyway YMMV.

Bottom line, it made me decide not to spend the money on the "upgrade".

T
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:52:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bfett:
I have a little experience with this. A friend of mine has a 3.5-10X40 with a Premier Gen2 Mildot on his LTR After using his scope I personally decided i have no use for the FFP as like you asked the reticle was super small at 3.5X and I couldn't see any of the mil-dots only the crosshair. Basically it turned the scope into a dublex reticle. Now at 10X it looked and worked fine. And maybe on a reticle with larger rangefinding features it would work OK too... but the Mil-dot was essentially usless at 3.5X... Sorry I forget at exactly what power the dots were still usable... Anyway YMMV.

Bottom line, it made me decide not to spend the money on the "upgrade".

T

Thank you. That was my intitial fear. I thought that the reticle would be too small. Thanks for the info. Great help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
Any reticle I have come across will be too small on 3.5x to mil with. It almost looks like a duplex on 3.5 power. The point for that scope is not for milling on 3.5x (what's the point), it is for milling on 8 power where night vision is best used on but 10x distorting the image. If you use NV often, then buy the FFP in 3.5-10. Otherwise I would say get a standard 3.5-10 TMR.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:03 AM EDT
Top Top