Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:57:27 AM EDT
I checked the search on this site and was unable to find any information on this, so I need help.

I am interested in a Leupold 3.5X10 FFP Scope, but I never had a scope with the reticle in the FFP and I am afraid that at 3.5X, the reticle will be too small.  If anyone has any experience with these, please let me know.  I was also checking out the Horus Vision Super Falcon 4X16.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I gues no one has any info...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a little experience with this. A friend of mine has a 3.5-10X40 with a Premier Gen2 Mildot on his LTR After using his scope I personally decided i have no use for the FFP as like you asked the reticle was super small at 3.5X and I couldn't see any of the mil-dots only the crosshair. Basically it turned the scope into a dublex reticle.  Now at 10X it looked and worked fine. And maybe on a reticle with larger rangefinding features it would work OK too... but the Mil-dot was essentially usless at 3.5X... Sorry I forget at exactly what power the dots were still usable... Anyway YMMV.

Bottom line, it made me decide not to spend the money on the "upgrade".

T
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a little experience with this. A friend of mine has a 3.5-10X40 with a Premier Gen2 Mildot on his LTR After using his scope I personally decided i have no use for the FFP as like you asked the reticle was super small at 3.5X and I couldn't see any of the mil-dots only the crosshair. Basically it turned the scope into a dublex reticle.  Now at 10X it looked and worked fine. And maybe on a reticle with larger rangefinding features it would work OK too... but the Mil-dot was essentially usless at 3.5X... Sorry I forget at exactly what power the dots were still usable... Anyway YMMV.

Bottom line, it made me decide not to spend the money on the "upgrade".

T

Thank you.  That was my intitial fear.  I thought that the reticle would be too small.  Thanks for the info.  Great help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Any reticle I have come across will be too small on 3.5x to mil with.  It almost looks like a duplex on 3.5 power.  The point for that scope is not for milling on 3.5x (what's the point), it is for milling on 8 power where night vision is best used on but 10x distorting the image.  If you use NV often, then buy the FFP in 3.5-10.  Otherwise I would say get a standard 3.5-10 TMR.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top