Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/5/2003 4:53:30 PM EDT
Ok, I've read plenty of the more recent topics about cheap optics but nothing seems to answer the question...

"Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust my wallet?"

Also, if there is a valid answer to this question, I'd appreciate knowing what the best method of mounting the scope would be.

Thanks!

-Steelhunter

BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:33:56 PM EDT
Yes. ARMS scope mounting rings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:55:12 PM EDT
yoyo What do you think is "inexpensive" if it so under 200 i would say the millett 4to16x56 it runs around 189 to 200 and you can get it at academy it is a good target varmit scope vinniedablade
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2003 11:04:24 AM EDT by DaPhotoGuy]
Originally Posted By SteelHunter: Ok, I've read plenty of the more recent topics about cheap optics but nothing seems to answer the question... "Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust my wallet?" Also, if there is a valid answer to this question, I'd appreciate knowing what the best method of mounting the scope would be. Thanks! -Steelhunter BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand.
View Quote
Simmons AETEC. 2.8x10x44 $100 at Walmart. Great scope for the money. The arms #22 rings with the #37 inserts are a great way to mount it for quick release and repeat zero. [img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS3.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:12:31 AM EDT
walmart...Simmons Pro-50 2.5-10X50....can knock it around, it doesnt fog, and it collects ambient light like a champ! good bang for the buck!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:45:25 PM EDT
Thanks everyone for the help! Remember, this is an A2 Bushy, so I have a carry handle to contend with when mounting a scope. With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of mounting one? Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc. Thanks. -Steelhunter Out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:11:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteelHunter: Thanks everyone for the help! Remember, this is an A2 Bushy, so I have a carry handle to contend with when mounting a scope. With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of mounting one? Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc. Thanks. -Steelhunter Out.
View Quote
I wouldn't waste the money on mounting a scope on a carry handle. It puts the optic way to high to be accurate. Need it closer to the bore.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 9:16:01 AM EDT by blikbok]
SteelHunter said: >"Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that > will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust > my wallet?" Yes. While testing ammo in A2 rifles, I've temporarily mounted up to 18x scopes on the carry handle. Zeroed at 25 yards, tested at 100, played at 200. I am very impressed by the accuracy of a stock rifle and cheap ammo. :) > With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of mounting one? I grabbed a carry handle mount for $25 at the gunshow. Rings were $10 at Walmart. > BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand. The problem is, you need a quality mount, rings, and a may want a cheekrest as well. I went without quality or a cheekrest because it was temporary, but it was not comfortable. You may fit your rifle differently, though. I also didn't trust the mount to stay zeroed. The whole assembly was too tall to fit in most single-rifle cases, so I had to dissassemble or use a double rifle case. Bushmaster.com has the ARMS #2 for $60 and a cheekrest for $60-75. A cheap 3-9x40 scope shouldn't be over $50. > Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what > sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs > (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc. Not sure what you mean by opened or closed, but 90% of the scopes I've seen below $200 are simple duplex reticles except for the shotgun scopes. You should be fine for plinking, but after my experience, I would consider it to be a stepping stone on the way to something more permanent.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:52:32 AM EDT
4.5 to 14 x 50 Simmons from Walmart is an AWESOME scope. $129
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:21:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: 4.5 to 14 x 50 Simmons from Walmart is an AWESOME scope. $129
View Quote
No flame intended, but "awsome" is in the eye of the beholder. I've had/seen too many range trips and whitetail hunts ruined by Simmons/Tasco/Bushnell scopes. I stick to Loopie and Burris, because I learned the hard way. Eventually, we all see the light....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:56:29 AM EDT
steelhunter B-square makes a decent carry handle mount for I believe about $35.00 or so, they also have low mount rings for it. Not sure on price but, they would be more in expensive than many other mounts. When I used them a couple years ago they seamed to hold zero pretty well. You can a lot of times find ARMS carry handle mounts #2s I believe on the EE for around $50.00. Also You. If you shop around You can occasionally find a fixed power Leupold Such as an M8 6x for less than $200.00. One of the many red ots could work for you out to 200 as well. cp
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:38:10 PM EDT
I agree with Slacker, You get what you pay for. I own several Leupold scopes fixed and variable and can't find fault with any. If you can scrounge up another 70 or 80 bucks a 4 or 6x M-8 is a really good scope that will last forever or close to it. Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:55:52 AM EDT
SH, I have an ARMS mount for the carry handle that I had on my HBAR. I no longer need it and it is in EXCELLENT shape. I'll sell it to you for $50 and that includes shipping. It mounts into the hole in your carry handle base with a slef centering wingnut-type device and provides a weaver-type mounting platform that is super solid. Then you can select whatever ring config you want, including high dollar quick release/return-to-zero types or any weaver/picatinny compatible rings. Just let me know via email Alan
Top Top