Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2003 4:53:30 PM EDT
Ok, I've read plenty of the more recent topics about cheap optics but nothing seems to answer the question...

"Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust my wallet?"

Also, if there is a valid answer to this question, I'd appreciate knowing what the best method of mounting the scope would be.

Thanks!

-Steelhunter

BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

ARMS scope mounting rings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yoyo

What do you think is "inexpensive" if it so under 200 i would say the millett 4to16x56 it runs around 189 to 200 and you can get it at academy it is a good target varmit scope

vinniedablade
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok, I've read plenty of the more recent topics about cheap optics but nothing seems to answer the question...

"Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust my wallet?"

Also, if there is a valid answer to this question, I'd appreciate knowing what the best method of mounting the scope would be.

Thanks!

-Steelhunter

BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand.
View Quote

Simmons AETEC.  2.8x10x44  $100 at Walmart.  Great scope for the money.  The arms #22 rings with the #37 inserts are a great way to mount it for quick release and repeat zero.

[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS3.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
walmart...Simmons Pro-50 2.5-10X50....can knock it around, it doesnt fog, and it collects ambient light like a champ!  good bang for the buck!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the help!

Remember, this is an A2 Bushy, so I have a carry handle to contend with when mounting a scope. With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of mounting one?

Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc.

Thanks.

-Steelhunter Out.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the help!

Remember, this is an A2 Bushy, so I have a carry handle to contend with when mounting a scope. With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of mounting one?

Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc.

Thanks.

-Steelhunter Out.

View Quote

I wouldn't waste the money on mounting a scope on a carry handle.  It puts the optic way to high to be accurate.  Need it closer to the bore.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
SteelHunter said:
>"Can I buy a 'decent' scope for my 20" A2 Bushy from Walmart that
> will work for plinking at the range (50 to 200 yards) and not bust
> my wallet?"

Yes.  While testing ammo in A2 rifles, I've temporarily mounted up to 18x  scopes on the carry handle.  Zeroed at 25 yards, tested at 100, played at  200.  I am  very impressed by  the accuracy of a stock rifle and cheap ammo. :)

> With the above mentioned scopes, what would be the least expensive means of
mounting one?

I grabbed a carry handle mount for $25 at the gunshow.  Rings were $10 at  Walmart.

> BTW, I'm not restricting myself to Walmart. I just want an "inexpensive" scope option that doesn't cost a half a grand.

The problem is, you need a quality mount, rings, and a may want a cheekrest as  well.  I went without quality or a cheekrest because it was temporary, but it was not  comfortable.  You may fit your rifle differently, though.  I also didn't trust the mount to stay zeroed.  The whole assembly was too tall to fit in most  single-rifle cases, so I had to dissassemble or use a double rifle case.

Bushmaster.com has the ARMS #2 for $60 and a cheekrest for $60-75.  A cheap  3-9x40 scope shouldn't be over $50.

> Plus, I haven't been able to find any on-line info telling me what
> sort of aiming graphic is used in these scopes; e.g., crosshairs
> (opened or closed), range finder graphics, etc.

Not sure what you mean by opened or closed, but 90% of the scopes I've seen  below $200 are simple duplex reticles except for the shotgun scopes.

You should be fine for plinking, but after my experience, I would consider it to be a stepping stone on the way to something more permanent.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
4.5 to 14 x 50 Simmons from Walmart is an AWESOME scope. $129
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4.5 to 14 x 50 Simmons from Walmart is an AWESOME scope. $129
View Quote

No flame intended, but "awsome" is in the eye of the beholder.

I've had/seen too many range trips and whitetail hunts ruined by Simmons/Tasco/Bushnell scopes.

I stick to Loopie and Burris, because I learned the hard way. Eventually, we all see the light....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
steelhunter
B-square makes a decent carry handle mount for I believe about $35.00 or so, they also have low mount rings for it. Not sure on price but, they would be more in expensive than many other mounts. When I used them a couple years ago they seamed to hold zero pretty well. You can a lot of times find ARMS carry handle mounts #2s I believe on the EE for around $50.00. Also You. If you shop around You can occasionally find a fixed power Leupold Such as an M8 6x for less than $200.00. One of the many red ots could work for you out to 200 as well.
cp
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Slacker, You get what you pay for. I own several Leupold scopes fixed and variable and can't find fault with any. If you can scrounge up another 70 or 80 bucks a 4 or 6x M-8 is a really good scope that will last forever or close to it. Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
SH,

I have an ARMS mount for the carry handle that I had on my HBAR.  I no longer need it and it is in EXCELLENT shape.  I'll sell it to you for $50 and that includes shipping.  It mounts into the hole in your carry handle base with a slef centering wingnut-type device and provides a weaver-type mounting platform that is super solid.  Then you can select whatever ring config you want, including high dollar quick release/return-to-zero types or any weaver/picatinny compatible rings.  Just let me know via email

Alan
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top