Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT by Alaskacajun]
Are they worth the extra 10 rounds? I used to own some but can't remember if they a crap or not.... I was gonna get a few for my SHTF gear!

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:17 PM EDT
I used to keep my 40 rd mags for the range only.... but after a few thousand rounds without a single failure..... they have moved to my SHIF bag!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:58:37 AM EDT
Why?

From a practical standpoint, the more bullets you have in a magazine, or the longer the length of travel for the mag follower, the greater the chance of a malfunction. For a novelty, no problem. For a defensive implement, you really need to weigh the advantages of the extra capacity against the disadvantages.

Advantage: more bullets possibly available before needing to reload.

Disadvantage: longer, more prone to snagging. longer, precludes shooting from prone position. weapon balance possibly ungainly. greater length of travel increases chances of a failure to feed. you only gain ten extra rounds.

In my estimation, ten more rounds isn't worth the effort. Siimilarly, a Beta C magazine, while offering significantly more ammo than a standard mag, the reliability, or lack thereof, precludes using one in a defensive posture.

Again, as a range toy, go for it. I'm all for supporting consumerism when it comes to gun stuff and don't want you to take this as an attack on your idea. In a defensive role, however, I believe that the science indicates that two 30 round mags beats a single 40 round mag for convenience, reliability and capacity.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:26:04 AM EDT
Vaughn T, I understand where you are coming from, the answer to your question of why 40 rounders is.... I have several 30's and 20's but was gonna do a mass purchase of mags with a tacticool vest at a local gun shop. He has 1- 30 rounder and 7- 40 rounder's that are new.... with a plethra of old steel 30 rounder's.... I was gonna fill the vest with the 40's and call it good, but can't remember if they are worth the trouble....

Basically my AR is used for varmint hunting and I use the 20's for that when I have my 24" Bull Barrel on it. When I go to the range for some plinking I slap on the M4 upper and do a few mag dumps.... Thats what I'll be using these 40's for.... Or if the Zombies ever come around

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:22:25 PM EDT
Hmmm... 40 rounders that are either VERY EXPENSIVE or unreliable or 30 rounders that are both reliable and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:37:40 PM EDT
Just couldn't bring myself to purchase the 40's, I went to a different Gun Shop today and picked up 6 more of the Colt (Alum w/green follower's) 30's like I already have. Picked up the tacticool vest too..... The wife made me go put it on and started gettin' all frisky, so I won't be puttin' that thing on in the house again.... LOL Good thing I had my AR handy or she woulda had her way with me

- Clint, thanks for talkin' me out of the 40's ya'll.............
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:41:46 PM EDT
US GI is the best.
Top Top