Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:00:42 PM EDT
Are they worth the extra 10 rounds? I used to own some but can't remember if they a crap or not.... I was gonna get a few for my SHTF gear!

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to keep my 40 rd mags for the range only.... but after a few thousand rounds without a single failure..... they have moved to my SHIF bag!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Why?  

From a practical standpoint, the more bullets you have in a magazine, or the longer the length of travel for the mag follower, the greater the chance of a malfunction.  For a novelty, no problem.  For a defensive implement, you really need to weigh the advantages of the extra capacity against the disadvantages.

Advantage:  more bullets possibly available before needing to reload.

Disadvantage:  longer, more prone to snagging.  longer, precludes shooting from prone position.  weapon balance possibly ungainly.  greater length of travel increases chances of a failure to feed.  you only gain ten extra rounds.

In my estimation, ten more rounds isn't worth the effort.  Siimilarly, a Beta C magazine, while offering significantly more ammo than a standard mag, the reliability, or lack thereof, precludes using one in a defensive posture.  

Again, as a range toy, go for it.  I'm all for supporting consumerism when it comes to gun stuff and don't want you to take this as an attack on your idea.  In a defensive role, however, I believe that the science indicates that two 30 round mags beats a single 40 round mag for convenience, reliability and capacity.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Vaughn T, I understand where you are coming from, the answer to your question of why 40 rounders is.... I have several 30's and 20's but was gonna do a mass purchase of mags with a tacticool vest at a local gun shop. He has 1- 30 rounder and 7- 40 rounder's that are new.... with a plethra of old steel 30 rounder's.... I was gonna fill the vest with the 40's and call it good, but can't remember if they are worth the trouble....

Basically my AR is used for varmint hunting and I use the 20's for that when I have my 24" Bull Barrel on it. When I go to the range for some plinking I slap on the M4 upper and do a few mag dumps.... Thats what I'll be using these 40's for.... Or if the Zombies ever come around

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm... 40 rounders that are either VERY EXPENSIVE or unreliable or 30 rounders that are both reliable and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Just couldn't bring myself to purchase the 40's, I went to a different Gun Shop today and picked up 6 more of the Colt (Alum w/green follower's) 30's like I already have. Picked up the tacticool vest too..... The wife made me go put it on and started gettin' all frisky, so I won't be puttin' that thing on in the house again.... LOL   Good thing I had my AR handy or she woulda had her way with me

- Clint,      thanks for talkin' me out of the 40's ya'll.............
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
US GI is the best.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top