Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:04:57 AM EDT
I thought about putting this in the "pistol cal" section, but since it pertains more to the magazines, I will post it here.
I am receiving a Colt 9mm complete upper system WITH OUT any mag block or mags.
So I have a choice to make.
Should I go with the sten mags and mag block (cheaper all the way around)
or should I go with the UZI mags and mag block. (cost more)
Is there any reliability issues, problem areas etc putting one system over the other?
Bearing in mind, costs are a factor.
TIA
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:19:10 PM EDT
Anyone have any comments on which system poses the best or the worst when it comes to using uzi or stenm mags.???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:45:01 AM EDT
You really should put this in the pistol cal sec but I believe Sten mags only work with an Oly type upper.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
Mine is a COLT upper....FWIW
My understanding is you can get the mag block what uses UZI mags or a diff mag block that uses STEN mags...I am wondering which is best/cheapest. trouble free. etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:59:59 AM EDT
I should have answered differently. Since you have a colt upper, you need a Colt type magblock and can only use Colt or modified UZI mags. You can get a VM-Hytec magblock and use unmodified UZI mags. You cannot use Sten mags.

Link

Whisky19

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
I am under the impression that you can use UZI mags with the Colt block and a sten mag with the sten block adapter. Being able to use EITHER one in a Colt upper.
Am I wrong??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 5:38:46 AM EDT by Q3131A]

Originally Posted By DaNerd2:
I am under the impression that you can use UZI mags with the Colt block and a sten mag with the sten block adapter. Being able to use EITHER one in a Colt upper.
Am I wrong??

The Colt upper will require modified UZI mags (a horizonal U shaped cut about an inch below the top of the mag) or Colt type mags. I have never heard of a Colt 9mm upper working with Sten mags. IMO, the best mags for a Colt upper are the pre-ban Colt mags with the metal followers.

It's been a long time since I owned an Oly upper, but mine worked with modified Sten mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT
Check this out.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=44141702
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:58:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]
i have never had a single failure due to the colt mags i use in my colt rifle which both have gone through about 6-7k together
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:58 AM EDT
I understand that,
BUT I want to be able to use the cheapest mags (STEN) that I can get.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:17 AM EDT

Check this out.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=44141702

I belive that is a converter for an Oly type upper. I don't think it will work with a Colt type 9mm upper. I have owned both styles, but prefer the Colt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:07:39 AM EDT

I understand that,
BUT I want to be able to use the cheapest mags (STEN) that I can get.

Sorry you're not getting the answer you want to hear but you cannot use Sten mags in a Colt style 9mm upper. AFAIK, no one makes a magwell adapter that lets you do this.

There is a tacked thread in the pistol caliber secton that talks about someone trying to come up with a magwell adapter to allow this but I don't think he was able to get it to work.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:34:47 AM EDT
I have to apologize to DaNerd.

I went to SNS's website and they say they do have a Generation 2 magwell block that will allow the use of Sten mags in a Colt system upper. You just have to add your own RRA ejector.

Link

You learn something new everyday!

Whisky19
Top Top