Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:04:57 AM EDT
I thought about putting this in the "pistol cal" section, but since it pertains more to the  magazines, I will post it here.
I am receiving a Colt 9mm complete upper system WITH OUT any mag block or mags.
So I have a choice to make.
Should I go with the sten mags and mag block (cheaper all the way around)
or should I go with the UZI mags and mag block. (cost more)
Is there any reliability issues,  problem areas etc putting one system over the other?
Bearing in mind, costs are a factor.
TIA
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have any  comments on which system poses the best or the worst when it comes to using uzi or stenm mags.???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You really should put this in the pistol cal sec but I believe Sten mags only work with an Oly type upper.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a COLT upper....FWIW
My understanding is you can get the mag block what uses UZI mags or a diff mag block that uses STEN mags...I am wondering which is best/cheapest. trouble free. etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have answered differently. Since you have a colt upper, you need a Colt type magblock and can only use Colt or modified UZI mags. You can get a VM-Hytec magblock and use unmodified UZI mags. You cannot use Sten mags.

Link

Whisky19

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I am under the impression that you can use UZI mags with the Colt block and a sten mag with the sten block adapter. Being able to use EITHER one in a Colt upper.
Am I wrong??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am under the impression that you can use UZI mags with the Colt block and a sten mag with the sten block adapter. Being able to use EITHER one in a Colt upper.
Am I wrong??

The Colt upper will require modified UZI mags (a horizonal U shaped cut about an inch below the top of the mag) or Colt type mags. I have never heard of a Colt 9mm upper working with Sten mags. IMO, the best mags for a Colt upper are the pre-ban Colt mags with the metal followers.

It's been a long time since I owned an Oly upper, but mine worked with modified Sten mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Check this out.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=44141702
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#8]
i have never had a single failure due to the colt mags i use in my colt rifle which both have gone through about 6-7k together
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand that,
BUT I want to be able to use the cheapest mags (STEN) that I can get.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Check this out.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=44141702

I belive that is a converter for an Oly type upper. I don't think it will work with a Colt type 9mm upper. I have owned both styles, but prefer the Colt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I understand that,
BUT I want to be able to use the cheapest mags (STEN) that I can get.

Sorry you're not getting the answer you want to hear but you cannot use Sten mags in a Colt style 9mm upper. AFAIK, no one makes a magwell adapter that lets you do this.

There is a tacked thread in the pistol caliber secton that talks about someone trying to come up with a magwell adapter to allow this but I don't think he was able to get it to work.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to apologize to DaNerd.

I went to SNS's website and they say they do have a Generation 2 magwell block that will allow the use of Sten mags in a Colt system upper. You just have to add your own RRA ejector.

Link

You learn something new everyday!

Whisky19
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top