Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:13:32 AM EDT
I have been concerned about the accuracy of my Ruger 556, so, after trying better ammo, I sent a request to Ruger asking if they could help. Below is the response I received:

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 09/06/2010
Request No: [snip]

Comment / question:

On July 26, 2010, I purchased a Ruger SR-556 at State Line Gun Shop in Mason, NH. The gun has never shot what I consider to be small enough groups. Most recently I shot a series of 10 shot groups with Black Hills 68 Grain Match ammunition and there were 2 targets at 100 yards and 2 targets at 50 yards. The 100 yard groups were 3 1/2 inches and the 50 yard groups are 1 1/2 inches. Can you do anything to help improve accuracy?

Response:
The factory specifications for this model is a 5 shot group, 2" at 50 yards.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:28:03 PM EDT
I am a new rifle shooter. I have been using 6 inch shoot and see circular targets at 200 yards with my SR556. I have no trouble keeping most shots within that circle and most of the shots fall into an even smaller diameter. I thought that I needed more experience and skill to get the groups tighter, but after seeing that reply about the 2 inch groups at 50 yards I don't feel as bad. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about the accuracy they are getting with this rifle. I should probably state that I am using a 3 to 12 power economical scope and I am shooting off a bench with an improvised rest. I am very happy with this rifle in terms of performance and accuracy for my needs, however I was trying to improve my groups after seeing some of the targets posted on this site. Would this rifle be capable of doing a good job at a prarie dog hunt for example. Thanks for all comments.
Top Top