Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:13:32 AM EDT
I have been concerned about the accuracy of my Ruger 556, so, after trying better ammo, I sent a request to Ruger asking if they could help. Below is the response I received:

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of   09/06/2010
Request No: [snip]

Comment / question:

On July 26, 2010, I purchased a Ruger SR-556 at State Line Gun Shop in Mason, NH. The gun has never shot what I consider to be small enough groups. Most recently I shot a series of 10 shot groups with Black Hills 68 Grain Match ammunition and there were 2 targets at 100 yards and 2 targets at 50 yards. The 100 yard groups were 3 1/2 inches and the 50 yard groups are 1 1/2 inches. Can you do anything to help improve accuracy?

Response:
The factory specifications for this model is a 5 shot group, 2" at 50 yards.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol:  (603) 865-2442
Pistols:  (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information:  (603) 865-2424

Please note:  This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.  Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a new rifle shooter. I have been using 6 inch shoot and see circular targets at 200 yards with my SR556. I have no trouble keeping most shots within that circle and most of the shots fall into an even smaller diameter. I thought that I needed more experience and skill to get the groups tighter, but after seeing that reply about the 2 inch groups at 50 yards I don't feel as bad. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about the accuracy they are getting with this rifle. I should probably state that I am using a 3 to 12 power economical scope and I am shooting off a bench with an improvised rest. I am very happy with this rifle in terms of performance and accuracy for my needs, however I was trying to improve my groups after seeing some of the targets posted on this site. Would this rifle be capable of doing a good job at a prarie dog hunt for example. Thanks for all comments.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top