User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2013 1:18:01 PM EDT
Hey fellas,

Since the first thread went into archives I figured we could start another tech and pic retro shotgun thread.  I will start off with a tech question;

I have been pouring over my Bruce Canfield shotgun book and I'm trying to find the proper barrel roll mark for the USMC Mk 1 870 era.  I know Remington has various roll marks some with the patent numbers others without.  Anyone know or have a pic by chance?

Mods- If you wish to move or delete this post I understand.  However, I figured fellas here would be more knowledgable with Retro arms of this era.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help with the answer, but the shotgun thread isn't in archives yet - just bumped it for you. It should really be a sticky.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If its mounted to the bottom of an M-16, we can talk about it!
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They did that early on too. Does anyone have a good pic of an 870 mounted to the bottom of an A1?

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did that early on too. Does anyone have a good pic of an 870 mounted to the bottom of an A1?

here's a movie version ...though I actually think it's a mossberg

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't help with the answer, but the shotgun thread isn't in archives yet - just bumped it for you. It should really be a sticky.

Thanks Morg.  For some reason I couldn't find the thing.  Thought it went into archives.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are some photos of the barrel markings on a genuine USMC 870 Mk1:

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Perfect!!  Thank you so much!  Is this in your personal collection?  By chance do have more photos of this gun?  I have some black bolts ( Not the express magnum!) and I want compare finishes.  I know they were finished in black oxide.  But am wondering if they were shiny or matt.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
No, but I certainly wish it was in my collection. This one is at the Oregon Military Museum, one of a pair of them transferred over from U.S. Customs about 25 years ago. I think the other was traded off to the Ft. Lewis Museum and should still be in their vault.

GI 870s are exceedingly scarce on the open market because the guns remained in issue to the Marines for so long and the Marines didn't seem to funnel excess weapons into the Law Enforcement assistance programs like the Army did with their obsolete guns. Now that the 870 Mk1s are obsolete, the chances of them getting out are zip as the current agreements with police agencies restrict trade-ins to gun dealers on ALL firearms, not just M16s and M14s. So even if the local sheriff gets some from the Feds, he's no longer able to sell or trade them off for new guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the Oregon Military Museum? I lived there 8 years (Corvallis area) and never heard of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, but I certainly wish it was in my collection. This one is at the Oregon Military Museum, one of a pair of them transferred over from U.S. Customs about 25 years ago. I think the other was traded off to the Ft. Lewis Museum and should still be in their vault.

GI 870s are exceedingly scarce on the open market because the guns remained in issue to the Marines for so long and the Marines didn't seem to funnel excess weapons into the Law Enforcement assistance programs like the Army did with their obsolete guns. Now that the 870 Mk1s are obsolete, the chances of them getting out are zip as the current agreements with police agencies restrict trade-ins to gun dealers on ALL firearms, not just M16s and M14s. So even if the local sheriff gets some from the Feds, he's no longer able to sell or trade them off for new guns.

Wait....you work at the Oregon military museum? At Withycomb?  I think we might have met.  I was granted access years ago to inspect an M40 in the vault.  We used to do nam displays there.  Alas I didn't have my digital camera on me when I had access.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Morg308,  Oops, you screwed up. We've been around since the mid-1970s at Camp Withycombe in Clackamas. Our original curator was Terry Aitken, now the senior curator at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. We have a great small arms collection that USED to be a lot more accessible than it is today. They built a huge new mega-armory on post which forced the closure and removal of the old OMM building about 3 years ago. The museum officially moved into the old Armory which has been seeing major remodeling and HVAC upgrades since then. The museum is supposed to have a "soft opening" sometime this year but the date still hasn't been set

The bad news is the new vault hasn't been constructed so the gun collection will remain in storage until funds can be raised to build it. So no access to look at the goodies for the forseeable future.

[Wait....you work at the Oregon military museum? At Withycomb?  I think we might have met.  I was granted access years ago to inspect an M40 in the vault.  We used to do nam displays there.  Alas I didn't have my digital camera on me when I had access.

I can't say I really WORK there, but occasionally get to play and help with various projects. Like to refer to myself as the oldest living volunteer hanging around there but work demands have kept me from putting in too much time in recent years.

If memory serves me, your were working on building a clone of the M40 and we got it off the rack for a detailed inspection, yes? How's that project coming?

Link Posted: 2/23/2013 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Morg308,  Oops, you screwed up. We've been around since the mid-1970s at Camp Withycombe in Clackamas. Our original curator was Terry Aitken, now the senior curator at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. We have a great small arms collection that USED to be a lot more accessible than it is today. They built a huge new mega-armory on post which forced the closure and removal of the old OMM building about 3 years ago. The museum officially moved into the old Armory which has been seeing major remodeling and HVAC upgrades since then. The museum is supposed to have a "soft opening" sometime this year but the date still hasn't been set

The bad news is the new vault hasn't been constructed so the gun collection will remain in storage until funds can be raised to build it. So no access to look at the goodies for the forseeable future.

[Wait....you work at the Oregon military museum? At Withycomb?  I think we might have met.  I was granted access years ago to inspect an M40 in the vault.  We used to do nam displays there.  Alas I didn't have my digital camera on me when I had access.

I can't say I really WORK there, but occasionally get to play and help with various projects. Like to refer to myself as the oldest living volunteer hanging around there but work demands have kept me from putting in too much time in recent years.

If memory serves me, your were working on building a clone of the M40 and we got it off the rack for a detailed inspection, yes? How's that project coming?

Indeed, that was me!  The project is coming along actually.  I need to get some stock specs.  I will message you so it doesn't clog up the thread.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Perfect!!  Thank you so much!  Is this in your personal collection?  By chance do have more photos of this gun?  I have some black bolts ( Not the express magnum!) and I want compare finishes.  I know they were finished in black oxide.  But am wondering if they were shiny or matt.  Thank you.

Most of them are shiny.  Some where parkerized when they were overhauled/rebuilt.  Canfeilds' book is good but some of his information is off on the Remington 870s.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of them are shiny.  Some where parkerized when they were overhauled/rebuilt.  Canfeilds' book is good but some of his information is off on the Remington 870s.  

Cheers

Thanks for the info.  I have the correct ones then.  Out of curiosity, what info is Canfield off on regarding the 870?  Because if there is better info out there..man I would sure love to have it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  I have the correct ones then.  Out of curiosity, what info is Canfield off on regarding the 870?  Because if there is better info out there..man I would sure love to have it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Fighting-Shotguns-Volume/dp/B001O8Z9HQ

Find a copy of this book if you can.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Here are a few pictures.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been searching for an older 20" or 21" wingmaster for ages. Most things I find are off in one way or another.

Did you buy most of that in one fell swoop? Or did you piece it together?  Are the sights on a rifle sighted barrel removable? Or did you chop a longer barrel down?

Ordinance, do you have a shot of the receiver marks?  Is that one bared on a wingmaster? Or something else?
My understanding is that the rifle sighted bayo lugs are USMC and the bead sights are Air Force. Does anyone have details on any other differences between the two?  What base gun the Air Force used?

Would basing my Mk. 1 off of an Express or a Police Magnum be sacrilege?  Is that like using an Oly A1 upper on a 601 build?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been searching for an older 20" or 21" wingmaster for ages. Most things I find are off in one way or another.

Did you buy most of that in one fell swoop? Or did you piece it together?  Are the sights on a rifle sighted barrel removable? Or did you chop a longer barrel down?

Ordinance, do you have a shot of the receiver marks?  Is that one bared on a wingmaster? Or something else?
My understanding is that the rifle sighted bayo lugs are USMC and the bead sights are Air Force. Does anyone have details on any other differences between the two?  What base gun the Air Force used?

Would basing my Mk. 1 off of an Express or a Police Magnum be sacrilege?  Is that like using an Oly A1 upper on a 601 build?

There's just no easy way to do it.  A factory slug barrel will be 20", one inch too short for the Mk1.  If you start with a bird barrel, you will have to solder on the rear rifle sight if you can still find the parts.  An Air Force/Navy type bead sight 20" gun is much easier to clone.

As for your base gun, the differences are only in the small details.  A late 60's wingmaster will have the correct markings, and you could find a MOD marked barrel to cut down if you were really worried about detail.  The barrels have a two-letter date code if you are concerned about that.

The older wingmasters will have a chromed bolt and lifter that won't be correct.  A newer gun might have a black oxide bolt and lifter, though the flex-tab lifter looks a little different.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's just no easy way to do it.  A factory slug barrel will be 20", one inch too short for the Mk1.  If you start with a bird barrel, you will have to solder on the rear rifle sight if you can still find the parts.  An Air Force/Navy type bead sight 20" gun is much easier to clone.

As for your base gun, the differences are only in the small details.  A late 60's wingmaster will have the correct markings, and you could find a MOD marked barrel to cut down if you were really worried about detail.  The barrels have a two-letter date code if you are concerned about that.

The older wingmasters will have a chromed bolt and lifter that won't be correct.  A newer gun might have a black oxide bolt and lifter, though the flex-tab lifter looks a little different.  

Steve is right.  I'm not out to discourage you at all (and no one else is either) but the if you want to build a USMC MK 1, it is a dedicated build if you really want all the details.

Building a Navy/Airforce gun would be easier.  But if you want to build a USMC gun I would be more than happy to help guide you in the process.  I have bolts, rear sight bases.  A lot of those parts are on the bay if you have time to search for them.  

The Navy guns also have a different serial number range than the USMC guns.  The USMC guns have an S prefix.  Navy guns have a T prefix.  When I was searching for a donor gun I noticed that T prefix receivers "seemed" to be most common.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got two bead sight bayonet lug adapters, so I'm fine with it being an Air Force/Navy clone.
Should the bolt/lifter be parkerized then?  Could you park a part that has been previously chromed?

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got two bead sight bayonet lug adapters, so I'm fine with it being an Air Force/Navy clone.
Should the bolt/lifter be parkerized then?  Could you park a part that has been previously chromed?

Canfield's book indicates chromed bolts and carriers.  Majority of guns were parkerized, however, some guns did have the commercial blue finish.

You can park something that has been chromed.

20" barrel should be cylinder choked too

Edited for info added.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My shotgun came that way from Remington. It is in the serial number range of the USMC contract.  It is a factory assembled shotgun.  It has an original 21 inch Mod Choke barrel with all proofmarks.  I have seen both rifled sight and non rifled sight MK-I shotgun in use by the USMC.  I have both type MK-I shotguns in my collection.  The one pictured has a serial number only 50 off from a rifled sight model I have.  These shotguns were not all delivered to the USMC.  Other Government agencies got in on this contract and they were used by Game Wardens, U.S. Postal Inspectors, U.S. Customs, US Fish And Wildlife etc.  All MK-I shotguns have a 21 inch Mod Choke barrel with a factory bayonet adapter.  The adapter was also sold to the Airforce, and Navy.  These shotguns are not MK-Is.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone have the serial number ranges handy?

I've ordered Canfield's book, but it's not here yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is not comprehensive nor final but according to Canfield's book he indicates ranges from T065,000V to T227,000V for Navy guns.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

MK-I contract S08,1347V to S127,697V.  All military 870 were Wingmasters.  Early non suffix serial number Wingmaster shotguns also exits.  Some Wingmasters were U.S. Property marked others not.  The early Vietnam era Wingmasters have a larger U.S. Property mark.  The Wingmasters that start with T will have a smaller U.S. Property marking.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would pick up a Police trade in for your base.  You have the most difficult parts for your builds, the bayonet adapters.  Are your adapters blued or parked?  Those adapters are very costly.  By the way,one of my MK-I was given to me in 1980 by my neighbor.  He was a  Game Warden in the late 70s and was also issued an early U.S. marked M40 sniper rifle.  It had the a wooden stock.

Regards
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine are both parked.
Is there somewhere to watch for police trade ins specifically?  I currently just scour the EE and GB fairly often.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, but I certainly wish it was in my collection. This one is at the Oregon Military Museum...

Quoted:

I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants!

All these years and one has been right under my nose. Damn!  

Well, when they get that armory open any chance you could sneak and old arf.comer and shotgun fanatic in to see that Mark 1?

Have been working on my little clone for some time and have gotten a bit closer. Went with a "correct" barrel form a vintage Wingmaster and had it cut down, its a CYL bore now but says its MOD... and has the correct date code and SN range receiver. Need sights, black bolt and lifter and parkerized.

Quoted:
When I was searching for a donor gun I noticed that T prefix receivers "seemed" to be most common.

...how is your doner gun coming BTW?

ETA: There is a very nice looking two-piece adapter on ePay right now with a bid of $250 and almost 5-days left.

A nice looking two-piece bead-sighted adapter just sold for $420.

And a nice looking one-piece adapter just sold for $565.

There was a rifle-sighted adapter on ePay several months back, I stopped bidding at $700 (for the complete adapter and magazine tube) ...seems like you have to really want these things - someone else wanted it a lot more than I did.

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#29]
And here I thought retro AR's were getting expensive!
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, but I certainly wish it was in my collection. This one is at the Oregon Military Museum...

Quoted:

Well, when they get that armory open any chance you could sneak and old arf.comer and shotgun fanatic in to see that Mark 1?

Have been working on my little clone for some time and have gotten a bit closer. Went with a "correct" barrel form a vintage Wingmaster and had it cut down, its a CYL bore now but says its MOD... and has the correct date code and SN range receiver. Need sights, black bolt and lifter and parkerized.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1115121322.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121309.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121311.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121312.jpg

Quoted:
When I was searching for a donor gun I noticed that T prefix receivers "seemed" to be most common.

It's coming along nicely. Thanks for asking!  I have been super picky about finding the right barrel.  Everything else is great.  Parts are parked and have all the other little stuff.  Just need that right barrel.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I am putting a Remington 870 together I have a military barrel and front end but the rifle sights have been stripped off it,
the rear sight is sort of odd it has has a flat section that goes into the base to be pinned into it.... If anyone knows where
I can get a set of sights please PM me.....

So far I have the barrel assembly, a set of oiled walnut stocks and a complete reciever all I need is the sights and finish
bead blasting steel parts and park.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am putting a Remington 870 together I have a military barrel and front end but the rifle sights have been stripped off it,
the rear sight is sort of odd it has has a flat section that goes into the base to be pinned into it.... If anyone knows where

So far I have the barrel assembly, a set of oiled walnut stocks and a complete reciever all I need is the sights and finish

Do you have a pic of your barrel by chance?  As far as I know the rear sight base simply brazed on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1115121322.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121309.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121311.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/1030121312.jpg

Quoted:

ETA: There is a very nice looking two-piece adapter on ePay right now with a bid of $250 and almost 5-days left.

A nice looking two-piece bead-sighted adapter just sold for $420.

And a nice looking one-piece adapter just sold for $565.

There was a rifle-sighted adapter on ePay several months back, I stopped bidding at $700 (for the complete adapter and magazine tube) ...seems like you have to really want these things - someone else wanted it a lot more than I did.

Nice looking shootguns

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a pic of your barrel by chance?  As far as I know the rear sight base simply brazed on.

I'll dig it out it's buried here somewhere.....
the sight base is not the issue it is the actual sight that goes into the base that I am trying to fing....

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll dig it out it's buried here somewhere.....
the sight base is not the issue it is the actual sight that goes into the base that I am trying to fing....

I have sights.  Complete assemblies.  The sight dovetails into the base then a small screw holds everything into place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Not many of these builds yet, My Winchester 1200 trench gun clone built using a 1965 M1200 and genuine USGI stock and forearm.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#37]
A while back I picked up a bead sighted two piece adaptor at an auction for $160. It was attached to a like new, first year Wingmaster that somebody had cut down Perfect 1950's blued steel and varnished furniture all the way up to the parked extension and bayo adaptor.  What was Bubba thinking?  At least he cut the barrel the right length.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I just bought this western field 12ga shotgun that I plan on making a trench shotgun, I took it down to bare metal, cut the barrel to 18.5 ", and painted it with Brownells gun kote. This shotgun was capable of slam firing,(at least before I took it apart it was). If anybody has any info on how to get this old shotgun working again please let me know.  This is a copy of the Stevens 620  

Before

During

After

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Actually it's a Stevens 520. The 620 is basically the same from what I understand but doesn't have the humpbacked receiver (which I think is cool frankly.) One of my favorites. Sorry, can't help with assy but I'm sure the info is out there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Been awhile since I played with a 520, but here goes. I seem to remember that the inside the trigger guard safety has to be in (?) position while reassembling. Try it each way. Also, pay attention to the action bar as it enters the receiver on assembly. What is doing/not doing?
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Speaking of ole humpbacks, and since I not a huge fan of pump actions, I picked this up for a dance recently.

Digging the cosmo out of the nooks and crannies. (I swear this thing looks to be new unfired on the inside and most of the outside).

Since the rebuild I have fabricated and installed an extended magazine tube (pending blue)

And a Browning A5 2 piece shell carrier (lets it load way faster)

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow Treadmarks, she's a beaut!
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Sweet! What I really like about it is it's a JMB design. He really was a genius.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, at least I know what shotgun to look for now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Model 11's are damn addictive. I've bought a couple in the last few months, one fron 1922, and the latest from 1906. What's the info on that extended mag tube, and how long is the barrel? I just cut the '06 down to 18" because the barrel was slightly bulged in the 19 - 20"  area and that extension looks about like what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I just read all 34 pages of the old thread and then could not find it again.  I was going to do a retro replica.  That is how I found this thread.  I have a Springfield model 67E.  I just ordered some of the pieces for it but I am still lookin for a rear stock if someone has one or can steer me the right direction.  I am aware of what has to be done because of my top mounted safety.  I also do not have a sling yet.

Here are a couple of pictures of it.  Picked it up as you see it for 90.00 dollars.  The barrel has been cut to 18.5 inches so I will have to go with that length.  I bought it without a stock.

Sorry for the crappy photo.  I'll post better pictures as this moves along.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I saw this on ebay.  some one might be able to use it for their project.  I think it has the right butpad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-STEVENS-77C-WALNUT-STOCK-/221208573429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33810ef5f5
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I got a new stock set from Numrich. It is supposed to be a jungle camo. I am going to use something to darken it up but still keep a little of the tint. I am just fitting it in these pictures. Military stocks looked to have dried up a year or two ago. I will be keeping my eye out for and original set.

Sling, swivels and mounts on the way. I still need to get a front sight bead and drill/tap for install.

I think that when it is done I would get it dura-coated or something similar in a color close to parkerized finish but better wear
qualities.  I hope to buy or build a trench gun next.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#49]

How about these beauties?
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Where did you find the proper barrel band swivel and rear sling swivel? I can't find them anywhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top