Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:59:28 PM EDT
Has anyone out there ever removed them? They look like they are riveted in there. Does anyone have pics of anything KAC with the shields removed? I want to take mine out because my gun is heavy. The gun is HBAR so I don't think it should feel too hot with the shields out. I rapid fire occasionally, never more than a couple of mags, so i don't think the KAC grip that's attached will melt. What do you guys think, should I take them out?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:13:03 AM EDT
You describe a situation (barrel weight, rate of fire, etc.) that does not warrent removing the heat shield. So we (KAC) recommend you leave it in place.
It will also retain its re-sale more if it remains original.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:24:15 AM EDT
You will not notice an appreciable loss in weight if you remove them. I would leave them in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:21:59 PM EDT
I took my heat shields out and I use ladder rail covers, not to save weight but to increase the airflow around the barrel (M4 contour). I run a can on mine and it can get HOT. I didn't see any sense in trapping the heat against the barrel. It was a simple matter of drilling out the rivets. I spray paint my stuff OD so the resale is gone anyway.

My .02, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:26:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JackMcC:
I took my heat shields out and I use ladder rail covers, not to save weight but to increase the airflow around the barrel (M4 contour). I run a can on mine and it can get HOT. I didn't see any sense in trapping the heat against the barrel. It was a simple matter of drilling out the rivets. I spray paint my stuff OD so the resale is gone anyway.

My .02, YMMV.

Now that is a legit reason to remove the heat shields.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:30:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:25:32 PM EDT
Wow thanks for all the great responses. I almost forgot what a nice place ARF is to hang out at. It sounds like the heat shield will stay in there. I was looking for a quick fix to the weight issue untill i get the barrel turned. Im thinking A1 or lightweight profile.

safe shooting,
Ants
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:39:35 AM EDT
I don't know why you would be concerned with the weight of the shields if you have an hbar profile.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:18:01 PM EDT
Your issue is exactly the reason the Army emphasizes upper body endurance/strength.

I dont claim to know what your specific needs are in regard to your weapon but that could be a symptom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:15:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 101327:
Your issue is exactly the reason the Army emphasizes upper body endurance/strength.

I dont claim to know what your specific needs are in regard to your weapon but that could be a symptom.

yea I'm kinda built like a woman. 5'3'', 115lbs wet and wearing boots.

Do other brands of rail systems have heat sheilds? Oh and I'm a dude.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:17:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 10:18:00 AM EDT by Hokie]
+ one on all the above....

Reprofile the barrel and/or lift some weights. Carry that gun long enough and it won't seem that heavy after awhile.
Top Top