Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:59:28 PM EDT
Has anyone out there ever removed them? They look like they are riveted in there. Does anyone have pics of anything KAC with the shields removed? I want to take mine out because my gun is heavy. The gun is HBAR so I don't think it should feel too hot with the shields out.  I rapid fire occasionally, never more than a couple of mags, so i don't think the KAC grip that's attached will melt. What do you guys think, should I take them out?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You describe a situation (barrel weight, rate of fire, etc.) that does not warrent removing the heat shield.  So we (KAC) recommend you leave it in place.
It will also retain its re-sale more if it remains original.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You will not notice an appreciable loss in weight if you remove them.  I would leave them in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I took my heat shields out and I use ladder rail covers, not to save weight but to increase the airflow around the barrel (M4 contour).  I run a can on mine and it can get HOT.  I didn't see any sense in trapping the heat against the barrel.  It was a simple matter of drilling out the rivets.  I spray paint my stuff OD so the resale is gone anyway.

My .02, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I took my heat shields out and I use ladder rail covers, not to save weight but to increase the airflow around the barrel (M4 contour).  I run a can on mine and it can get HOT.  I didn't see any sense in trapping the heat against the barrel.  It was a simple matter of drilling out the rivets.  I spray paint my stuff OD so the resale is gone anyway.

My .02, YMMV.

Now that is a legit reason to remove the heat shields.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow thanks for all the great responses. I almost forgot what a nice place ARF is to hang out at.  It sounds like the heat shield will stay in there. I was  looking for a quick fix to the weight issue untill i get the barrel turned. Im thinking A1 or lightweight profile.

safe shooting,
Ants
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why you would be concerned with the weight of the shields if you have an hbar profile.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Your issue is exactly the reason the Army emphasizes upper body endurance/strength.  

I dont claim to know what your specific needs are in regard to your weapon but that could be a symptom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your issue is exactly the reason the Army emphasizes upper body endurance/strength.  

I dont claim to know what your specific needs are in regard to your weapon but that could be a symptom.

yea I'm kinda built like a woman. 5'3'', 115lbs wet and wearing boots.

Do other brands of rail systems have heat sheilds? Oh and I'm a dude.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
+ one on all the above....

Reprofile the barrel and/or lift some weights.  Carry that gun long enough and it won't seem that heavy after awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top