AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 27
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The trigger can be made to run extremely light.  We set BFSiii at 4.5 pounds due to safety. (LE spec can be ordered with 5+ pound spec.)  I don't feel comfortable defining how to lighten the trigger on a public forum, but I will say that the hammer and trigger have a deep case depth.  Like most triggers, adding a stronger hammer spring can minimally change the pull by a half pound or so.  However, this shouldn't be a big deal to have a gunsmith or experienced hobbiest work on it to bring it back down to 4.5 pounds.  I'll also mention that the BFSIII ships with two sets of springs.  One is milspec, one is lighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I rephrased my question to FA and received this email reply...Yes it does. I just confirmed with tech dept. A heavier hammer spring will increase trigger pull.

I'm going to wait for someone to come out with a binary trigger using better hammer release geometry.  I emailed Fostech but never received a reply.  

Good day all,
DG

The trigger can be made to run extremely light.  We set BFSiii at 4.5 pounds due to safety. (LE spec can be ordered with 5+ pound spec.)  I don't feel comfortable defining how to lighten the trigger on a public forum, but I will say that the hammer and trigger have a deep case depth.  Like most triggers, adding a stronger hammer spring can minimally change the pull by a half pound or so.  However, this shouldn't be a big deal to have a gunsmith or experienced hobbiest work on it to bring it back down to 4.5 pounds.  I'll also mention that the BFSIII ships with two sets of springs.  One is milspec, one is lighter.

I've done trigger lightening jobs on several AR's.  Trust me when I say there is no way to run an extra heavy hammer spring with a milspec geometry trigger / hammer and get it down to a 5lb pull.  You're leading people to a disappointment if you say a hammer spring capable of reliably igniting 7N6 primers will only add a half pound or so to the trigger pull. Expect a 10+ lb pull with such a hammer spring.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got an email notification that the BFS3 is shipping, hopefully I'm not too far down the line.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
No notification here and I ordered on day one.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They post up to the minute news on their FB page. Not here.
I have to admire them for their truthfulness and openness. Just follow their FB page for THE most current news. But, yes, FA just made their commitment to ship Gen 3 by the END of August. They did exactly that in spite of:

1) Issues with the change in metals (music wire to SS) that made their free included spring rates too low. Had to re do the SS versions so they were the CORRECT strength.
2) UPS truck broke down on exact shipment day. They sent another truck evidently.

It is all there..blow by blow:
https://www.facebook.com/franklin.armory
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't receive MY shipping notification, it was a buy now, they're officially shipping notification.

Eta:  I ordered about a month behind you I think.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have to admire them for their truthfulness and openness. Just follow their FB page for THE most current news. But, yes, FA just made their commitment to ship Gen 3 by the END of August. They did exactly that in spite of:

1) Issues with the change in metals (music wire to SS) that made their free included spring rates too low. Had to re do the SS versions so they were the CORRECT strength.
2) UPS truck broke down on exact shipment day. They sent another truck evidently.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's why I have a gen 2 and ordered a 3. No Echo yet but probably several more 3's.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been dealing with Franklin since about 2014 when they released the F-17L in .17WSM at SHOT, and they are awesome people.

Honest, upfront, and very helpful. It's been a true pleasure for me, and I look forward to their continued success.

Here's hoping I get my hands on a full production Gen3 soon. Although, I better order some more ammo before the panic buying starts.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Thank you.  We try our best to keep our customers up to date, especially when we have a high demand, back ordered product.  We said we'd start shipping in August, and everything came together at the very last minute in order for us to achieve our goal.  We appreciate the trust the community has placed in us to perform, and I am thankful for you taking the time to make this post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  We try our best to keep our customers up to date, especially when we have a high demand, back ordered product.  We said we'd start shipping in August, and everything came together at the very last minute in order for us to achieve our goal.  We appreciate the trust the community has placed in us to perform, and I am thankful for you taking the time to make this post.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a long shot, but is there a trade in program? haha

I have a few Gen2s might swap out for Gen3s
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We have thousands of backorder to get out the door.  Many orders were placed on day one, and those should out the door by the end of the week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We have thousands of backorder to get out the door.  Many orders were placed on day one, and those should out the door by the end of the week.

Just got my shipping notice. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!  Can't wait to see these in action, hopefully mine isn't too far behind.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Franklin posted an awesome promo video yesterday:

Mine should ship today or early next week. I can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Franklin posted an awesome promo video yesterday:

http://youtu.be/WROcTa5XNlw
Mine should ship today or early next week. I can't wait to get it!

View Quote
nice

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh boy, oh boy!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Well....?  

...We're waiting...

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well....?  

...We're waiting...

View Quote

Busy day at work for me, but I'm hoping to get it installed by tonight. I have a club meeting to go to tonight at the range, so I might be able to get some trigger time if all works out. We shall see.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Busy day at work for me, but I'm hoping to get it installed by tonight. I have a club meeting to go to tonight at the range, so I might be able to get some trigger time if all works out. We shall see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well....?  

...We're waiting...

Awesome, can't wait to see what you get out of this production unit.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well....?  
...We're waiting...

Sneak peek:

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#23]

does it come with the buffer spring?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.

They are including an extra power carbine buffer spring, as well as two sets of hammer & trigger springs.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes.

They are including an extra power carbine buffer spring, as well as two sets of hammer & trigger springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Mine arrived.  I started reading the install directions and decided to put it away for tonight.  This weekend is the soonest i will have time to test it out if i have time.  Reading the instructions made my head hurt.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine arrived.  I started reading the install directions and decided to put it away for tonight.  This weekend is the soonest i will have time to test it out if i have time.  Reading the instructions made my head hurt.  
View Quote

Really? That bad? Why so?
Any chance you can take a series of photos of the instructions to upload here?
Or you can scan them and covert to a .pdf file. My $80 printer does a brilliant job of doing just that. I can save my scans as a .jpg OR a .pdf file.
Lacking a printer that does that,  a simple photo(s) would be awesome. If you would, please.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Or you can scan them and covert to a .pdf file. My $80 printer does a brilliant job of doing just that. I can save my scans as a .jpg OR a .pdf file.

Lacking a printer that does that,  a simple photo(s) would be awesome. If you would, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The BFSiii manual and installation instructions are very detailed, which might make some people's heads hurt.

While I totally understand that, I personally would much rather have a very thorough set of instructions, as apposed to a cursory set.

If I can remember to do it, I'll scan mine and create a .PDF.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will scan them tomorrow. It is probably a simple install, but they are detailed, the photos are tiny, and I was not in the mood.  My guess is that the instructions make it appear more complicated than it actually is.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]
As Promised, here is the scanned copies of the manuals.  There are actually two manuals. The Franklin Armory Binary Firing System III Installation Manual  and the Franklin Armory BFSiii Manual Patent Pending
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

As Promised, here is the scanned copies of the manuals.  There are actually two manuals. The Franklin Armory Binary Firing System III Installation Manual  and the Franklin Armory BFSiii Manual Patent Pending
View Quote

Thanks!

ETA: Going to update the OP and add these if you don't mind.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If there are any questions about installation or if you have ideas on how to improve the directions, let us know.  Feedback will likely be used to improve the process.  The biggest thing about installing this, is don't tweak the IDS spring.  (...but a second one is included in every package in case you do tweak it.)  

...Oh, and it hurt my head writing it, so I know what you mean!  :)
View Quote

LOL!

I plan on filming my install, which I hope will help many see that it's not hard at all; just mind that IDS spring, and you're golden.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Installation video recorded.

Will hopefully have it live tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Installation video recorded.

Will hopefully have it live tomorrow.

View Quote
looking forward to this

but i'm really looking forward to some more video's of the gen 3 in action

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#36]
That's great it comes with a carbine spring, but what if you're running it rifle length?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If there are any questions about installation or if you have ideas on how to improve the directions, let us know.  Feedback will likely be used to improve the process.  The biggest thing about installing this, is don't tweak the IDS spring.  (...but a second one is included in every package in case you do tweak it.)  

...Oh, and it hurt my head writing it, so I know what you mean!  :)
View Quote

Many thanks to onealphay2k for the scans and to FA for their link.

So, if the slave pin doesn't fall out and the sub assembly arrives intact...then the installation appears to be  very straight forward.

Three questions:

1) What is the point of going in with the two trigger pins from opposite sides of the receiver? Will it harm anything to install them both coning in from the left side like I am used to doing?

2) Is there anything special about the supplied safety detent and spring? Why supply them? Just in case we loose ours? That is thoughtful, if that is the case.

3) I wish you guys had done a short throw safety....45 degrees would be semi auto and 90 degrees would be binary. Could I have a custom drum milled (by Adco or someone..) that would accomplish this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The two pins just make it even easier to keep things aligned.  

The safety detent spring is customer supplied.  It is not included.

It is now possible to make the safety selector shaft with 45 degree throws, but that would still make it possibly dangerous.  If you are in mode 3 and the lower reads semi, there could be operator confusion.  I would only want to do this with a lower that was appropriately market.
View Quote

That YOU for your kind reply! :)
MY bad on my lazy speed reading of the safety selector portion of your great instructions. It clearly states "CUSTOMER" supplied spring and detent. I am chagrined to have missed that.

GREAT news on the short throw! I have several solutions in mind for modifying  your curved trigger to flat trigger (to fit my XL hand and fingers). So,your reply concerning the STS possibilities is fabulous news to me. You sos, once a shooter like me gets used to an STS and/or a flat bow trigger, we dont want anything else. I would do anything that it would take to have these features with your new BFS. I see this is fast becoming a reality. This is unbelievably fantastic news to me.

As for making custom short throw safety BINARY markings we have laser engraving or better yet, a bright, shiny, short throw safety (STS)  DECAL from Franklin Arms!

It is always the lawyers, isnt it? For a long time, even manufacturer of conventional short throw safetys (STS) have been concerned about stupid people doing stupid things and then trying to get money for making a stupid mistake. "Merica!  But finally other companies are coming out with safeties  that do NOT require the "lawyers tit" that is on the barrel all BadAss STS models. They are leaving it up to the owner to do the proper and safe thing.

I understand that Franklin Arms is just waiting for the first person to have a negligent discharge on the release of a trigger pull in the Binary mode. This is sad, because IMO it is 100% on the shooter to either KNOW his trigger and gun and ALSO keep his gun in 100% control at ALL times. That means NOBODY EVER picks up your gun with out permission and instructions and fires your gun. I notice that FA makes it MANDATORY for any Pro Armorer to apply this decal. This is as it should be.

I just wonder if at SOME time you might consider selling a package consisting of a STS milled safety barrel and a new sticker. With all sorts of waivers and signatures required to purchase it so you guys and your lawyers feel protected.

I dont want this to be a topic of discussion because it MAY veer OFF topic and a mod will shut this thread down. Mods, I only mention the STS as a POSSIBILITY for the new BFS trigger. I was only offering up ways that would allow this concept to be legally feasible since FA states that is mechanically possible, BUT like any responsible company does not want endanger their shooters or anyone around them.

Mods, again I beg you not to shut down this thread over my post. Legalities surrounding this trigger is real  "on topic" talking point. I prefer most people (and FA) simply think  about what I said rather than reply since I am deathly afraid to have this thread shut down because of me. It is the best thread I have ever followed on AR15.com.

ALL you members have made amazing contributions and insights concerning this ground breaking new product from Franklin Arms. I think their is more to be said still. Thanks to all you guys for helping make this the best thread ever!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The installation and operator's manuals are now on our website for those that would like to see it.  
https://franklin-armory.myshopify.com/pages/manuals
View Quote

Awesome, thanks guys!

My install video is rendering now, and then I'll start the upload. It's long, as I wanted to cover every step in detail for everyone. Once it's live, I'll be sure to drop a link here.

A couple notes:

1. You may need to manipulate the IDS or disconnector a little when driving in the trigger pin; if you meet what feels like too much resistance, press the back of the disconnector down (which should cause the IDS to slide back under the front lip of the disconnector). That allowed the pin to slide right in for me with minimal force from my hammer.

2. The trigger as shipped with the blue, lighter hammer spring installed (which is what gives it the advertised 4.5LBS pull), feels awesome. A HUGE improvement over the Gen2. I haven't measured the total pull weight yet, but it's nowhere near the Gen2. The reset is also nice. Kudos to Franklin.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#42]
perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere, but does Franklin Armory have any plans for releasing a binary trigger for alternate platforms?

I really want one for my Bulgy AKM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Next up is the HK type.  We are already in progress on it.  I do believe that Fostech said they would work on an AK type after they were done with their AR version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere, but does Franklin Armory have any plans for releasing a binary trigger for alternate platforms?

Next up is the HK type.  We are already in progress on it.  I do believe that Fostech said they would work on an AK type after they were done with their AR version.

why not do the AK  first? Seems like more have a AK then an HK
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fostech has promised to deliver on that by SHOT Show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not do the AK  first? Seems like more have a AK then an HK

yeah, i am sure right after their echo ar15 trigger comes out... which i am sure will be any day now...

not the answer i was hoping for, but thanks for the clarification though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
As promised, here is my BFSiii install video:

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:01:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right after they get their sear trip approved by the ATF. That doesn't seem to be going to well. Does it?
You guys are the only ones who meet deadlines!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As promised, here is my BFSiii install video:

http://youtu.be/EUP44vrmqjY

View Quote

Outstanding and thanks for posting it up!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top