Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 38
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobbyjallday:

the CF tube with poly rail on the front puts the front sight a little to high, and with the sight straight to tube is a lot too low. instead of modifying the rail section i might just suck it up and buy a real HG and add an oz or 2.. oh well the cf tube was cheap lol
View Quote
I used a JP Tactical Rail for front sight mounting on my cf tube. It’s the right height and fits the tube perfectly.

Link
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BlackOpScottie:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/423504/20181112_112637_noexif-736432.jpg

Here it is at 5lb6oz I think I may try to shave a few more oz from it but I'm happy with it anyway.
View Quote
Got this to the range a couple times. First time I tried no gas adjustment. Failure first round exactly as I expected.

Bought a couple adjustable gas keys one for this and a 11.5 with a fixed front that I basically gave up on.

Well that upper just found new life with the adjustable key. Love these they function just like the adjustablee gas block but will be so much easier to swap imo  if I have future problems. May just keep a couple of them handy just to have around. Hope SLR gets into the gas key game because I love their company. The ultra light weight works perfect now too of course
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]

This one actually turned out fairly light without necessarily even aiming for a lightweight build (some obviously heavy parts choices). Weighs in at 5lb 5oz as pictured, empty.

UPPER:  Started out as a PSA 10.5” upper/barrel combo, gov profile with FSB
Modded with:
Midwest 9” FF rail
AIM skeletonized Nitride BCG
BA adjustable gas block
Strike Industries JCOMP V2
Strike Industries CH
Gen 2 MBUS

LOWER: Regular ol’ Anderson
LaRue MBT
Noveske 60 degree safety
Magpul K2 grip
KAK blade V2 brace/buffer tube
Magpul ASAP
Strike Industries flatwire spring/PSA car buffer
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedbeardPete] [#4]
I should have seen this thread before I had the wild hair to build a lightweight AR. My buddy linked me here after I was maybe 75% through ordering parts. Had a Mag Tactical magnesium lower sitting around from when they were $40 clearance a couple years ago, which, as happens, snowballed into this mad project. I set out to build a no-compromise 16" AR, as light as I could get it, considering almost every single component, with as little dollars as I could but still using quality components (part of the no-compromise). There are a couple places I could have spent less $ and got the same or even less weight, like muzzle device, handguard, stock. I tried to buy everything on sale or discounted. Some of the parts I whittled down... I milled slots in the mil-spec charging handle and got a fair amount of weight out. I milled and ground the Strike Industries bolt catch, basically hollowed out the back side of the button.

4lb 2oz without sights/optics
around $1150

or, since this silly forum won't post my pictures, here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/XxLDpuc
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ugh, this forum is pretty lame sometimes. I didn't get an account for so long because I didn't feel like going through the PITA of logging into my Comcast email. 2000 character limit, eh? /endrant

$80 Fostech magnesium upper
$100 Brownells lightweight BCG Ti coated
$40 V7 Titanium micro brake
$124 Faxon Gunner 16" 5.56 barrel, mid-length
$265 V7 Hyper Light 15" handguard
$158 SLR 6 Titanium adj. gas block
$14 V7 Titanium Firing Pin -$10 credit for new pin taken from BCG, my post my rules ;)
$8 Brownells gas tube
$12 Strike Industries capsule dust cover
-still need to plug the fwd assist

$39 Mag Tactical lower I bought a couple years ago
$165 Master of Arms rifle length stock
$20 Strike Industries enhanced lpk -$20 because I didn't use the pins or mag catch
$25 BCM fire control group out of a BCM parts kit, est. Pins came with lower and aren't specifically light.
$25 V7 AR15 Ultra-Light Easy Pull TD/Pivot Pins (Aluminum)
$27 V7 Ultra-Light Mag Catch/Release (Aluminum)
$15 Magpul K2 grip
$3 carbine buffer I had lying around with weight removed
$17 Strike Industries flat carbine buffer spring
$12 Smoke composites rifle->carbine spacer
$5 V7 Titanium Grip Screw
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost done... Have a few more things i can lighten up.

Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:02:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cutlass1972] [#7]
10.5" faxon pencil barrel, dsa Ti short flash hider, v7 gas block, MI handguard, Sig Romeo 3 sight, fostec magnesium upper, v7 ultralight forward assist, brownells lightweight bcg, v7 ti magazine catch, v7 buffer retainer, v7 ti endplate and castle nut, 2a ti takedown pins, tubs flat wire recoil spring, standard 4oz buffer, sb3 pistol brace, ergo grip, nickled standard charging handle, milspec trigger group, and a new frontier lower. I have a ti v7 ambi safetey and ti trigger / hammer pins on the way.
Currently 4.37lb.
Any advice where I can shave more weight?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cutlass1972:
10.5" faxon pencil barrel, dsa Ti short flash hider, v7 gas block, MI handguard, Sig Romeo 3 sight, fostec magnesium upper, v7 ultralight forward assist, brownells lightweight bcg, v7 ti magazine catch, v7 buffer retainer, v7 ti endplate and castle nut, 2a ti takedown pins, tubs flat wire recoil spring, standard 4oz buffer, sb3 pistol brace, ergo grip, nickled standard charging handle, milspec trigger group, and a new frontier lower. I have a ti v7 ambi safetey and ti trigger / hammer pins on the way.
Currently 4.37lb.
View Quote
Adjustable gas will be your best friend for taking the next step.  You can easily go 1 oz on the buffer (-3 oz) and 6-8 oz on the BCG, with not much addition up front for the adjustable block.

Is your lightweight BCG the Brownells skeletonized one?  If so, you'll have to go Ti or Al to get much lighter there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
LOOKS LIKE YOUR FLASH SUPPRESSOR IS UPSIDE DOWN!  IV'E DONE THAT SEVERAL TIMES WHILE USING MY GEISSELE ROD AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION. THE RECEIVER UPSIDE DOWN.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
All that anodizing is weighing you down. Brillo that stuff off. 😁
Just kidding. Nice build.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
That Ergo grip isn't doing you any favors.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:35:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#12]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

View Quote
Or go to the lightweight parts thread and data base.
Hold on to your wallet!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 7:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProfessorHorseyhead] [#13]

View Quote
Drop that ergo like mentioned.
Adjustable SLR titanium gas block (you'll need it for the next line)
Get rid of the weights in the buffer
Swap the handguard for an original BCM KMR (the all magnesium version) with a v7 aluminum barrel nut
Delrin FA plug

There's no reason a 10.5" AR should be that heavy.  You should be able to get it into the 3-pound range pretty easily.  I have a full 16" (non pinned, no titanium parts) that's only a few ounces heavier and getting a makeover this fall.  early calculations show it losing about 6 ounces to be in the *REALLY* low 4's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AIWB] [#14]
Ok guys. So when I first looked at this thread I had the typical thoughts. Why would I spend that much to lose weight. I’ll just work out more. You know, the typical. But I got a M&P 15-22 and I thought, man....it would be nice to have a 5.5(ish) AR.

But I still didn’t want to drop a lot of money. Well some time went by and I did some major changes. Some of my AR’s and I had a complete upper and lower just sitting around. I knew I’d already be behind the curve because I didn’t start with an ultra lightweight upper and lower but I planned on doing a budget lightweight build.  Oh, not to mention I only have SBR’s and pistols so if for some reason those got banned I needed a 16.

So I ordered a 16 inch Faxon pencil barrel. A Guntec 12 inch Airlite handguard. A Guntec lightweight minimalist stock (buffer tube and everything included). A hogue grip. A strike industries ultimate dust cover. A Faxon has block. A RTB lightweight bcg. A Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key. Annnnnnnnd.....I think that’s it for now.

I also put my Sig QD suppressor muzzle device on it. Heavy, but needed if I wanted my Sig SRD556TiQD to go on it.

As it sits it’s 4.11. I’m going to put a Holosun 508t on it (1.7 ounces), a streamlight tlr-7 (2.5 ounces) and my Lasermax UNI-IR so it can be a 24 hour gun. I think it’s about and ounce.

So I should be sitting at 4.15. Should lol. After the holidays I’m going to ditch the 8 ounce Guntec handguard and get one of those 3.7 ounce CF handguards. Maybe a CF buffer tube and stock too.  I also still don’t have any Ti internal parts. What do you guys think?

Oh, I also ditched all but one of the weights in the buffer. Should I ditch the last one too?

ETA: oh yeah, I’d say I’m around.......$500(ish) right now. Oh, and it’s a Geissele s2g trigger and a Radian CH.

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking build!
Which CF hand guard will you be going with?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:38:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AIWB] [#16]
Originally Posted By larrys:
Nice looking build!
Which CF hand guard will you be going with?
View Quote
Well I like the Faxon CF, but that would only save me like 1.9 ounces.

The Brigand braid is probably the route I’ll  take even though I don’t prefer the looks of it. 3.7(iirc) ounces is hard to beat!

Whats crazy is how much weight placement has on how the gun feels. Before I got the Guntec stock and buffer setup which is 9.1 ounces I had a MFT stock which was 7 ounces heavier. I took it off and shouldered the gun with just the buffer tube and it didn’t feel any different at all really.

But the second I put the MFT minimalist stock back on and slid the Guntec rail off (not screwed on yet), the 8 ounces it took off made it feel like a 3 pound gun. It was incredible.

I suppose it makes sense given the fact that when I moved my DBAL D2 from the muzzle almost all the way back to the upper recurved (on my other AR) it felt like a whole new gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AIWB:
Ok guys. So when I first looked at this thread I had the typical thoughts. Why would I spend that much to lose weight. I’ll just work out more. You know, the typical. But I got a M&P 15-22 and I thought, man....it would be nice to have a 5.5(ish) AR.

But I still didn’t want to drop a lot of money. Well some time went by and I did some major changes. Some of my AR’s and I had a complete upper and lower just sitting around. I knew I’d already be behind the curve because I didn’t start with an ultra lightweight upper and lower but I planned on doing a budget lightweight build.  Oh, not to mention I only have SBR’s and pistols so if for some reason those got banned I needed a 16.

So I ordered a 16 inch Faxon pencil barrel. A Guntec 12 inch Airlite handguard. A Guntec lightweight minimalist stock (buffer tube and everything included). A hogue grip. A strike industries ultimate dust cover. A Faxon has block. A RTB lightweight bcg. A Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key. Annnnnnnnd.....I think that’s it for now.

I also put my Sig QD suppressor muzzle device on it. Heavy, but needed if I wanted my Sig SRD556TiQD to go on it.

As it sits it’s 4.11. I’m going to put a Holosun 508t on it (1.7 ounces), a streamlight tlr-7 (2.5 ounces) and my Lasermax UNI-IR so it can be a 24 hour gun. I think it’s about and ounce.

So I should be sitting at 4.15. Should lol. After the holidays I’m going to ditch the 8 ounce Guntec handguard and get one of those 3.7 ounce CF handguards. Maybe a CF buffer tube and stock too.  I also still don’t have any Ti internal parts. What do you guys think?

Oh, I also ditched all but one of the weights in the buffer. Should I ditch the last one too?

ETA: oh yeah, I’d say I’m around.......$500(ish) right now. Oh, and it’s a Geissele s2g trigger and a Radian CH.
View Quote
just wondering about your muzzle device, should the vents be pointing sideways?  if it's a brake...instead of up-and-down?  just curious.  Impressive weight reduction for sure.

Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

Well I like the Faxon CF, but that would only save me like 1.9 ounces.

The Brigand braid is probably the route I’ll  take even though I don’t prefer the looks of it. 3.7(iirc) ounces is hard to beat!

Whats crazy is how much weight placement has on how the gun feels. Before I got the Guntec stock and buffer setup which is 9.1 ounces I had a MFT stock which was 7 ounces heavier. I took it off and shouldered the gun with just the buffer tube and it didn’t feel any different at all really.

But the second I put the MFT minimalist stock back on and slid the Guntec rail off (not screwed on yet), the 8 ounces it took off made it feel like a 3 pound gun. It was incredible.

I suppose it makes sense given the fact that when I moved my DBAL D2 from the muzzle almost all the way back to the upper recurved (on my other AR) it felt like a whole new gun.
View Quote
No different from putting a 8 ounce weight on your shoulder, vs putting an 8 ounce weight in your arm and holding it straight out. balance of a rifle is a thing...
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

just wondering about your muzzle device, should the vents be pointing sideways?  if it's a brake...instead of up-and-down?  just curious.  Impressive weight reduction for sure.

https://i.imgur.com/WEUDoKG.jpg
View Quote
I originally had a DD low pro clamp on gas block which ended up not fitting. So I had to order a set screw Faxon which I’m waiting to arrive so I haven’t tightened the sig QD suppressor attachment. It’s pretty slick though. All you is rockset the main body and the end is interchangeable. I have the break on it to act as sort of an initial baffle protector. Sig also has a flash hider and I think another one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

No different from putting a 8 ounce weight on your shoulder, vs putting an 8 ounce weight in your arm and holding it straight out. balance of a rifle is a thing...
View Quote
Yup, definitely.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 7:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#21]
I finally finished this build. It took me a year and a half of tinkering around and ordering parts.
I did cheat a little, it’s a 10.5” barrel with an aluminum extension pinned and welded to make it legal. My end goal is to SBR it down the road.

I had certain goals with this build. I wanted no polymer at all, with exception of whatever is in the CF parts. Also wanted a good single stage trigger, my favorite red dot the RMR and the total weight at 3 lbs or less.
The Smoke Composites parts were also something I had been thinking about. They have a very “high end” look to them and I am very glad I went that direction.

I got everything but the weight, it came in at 3 lbs and .29 oz. Missed it by a hair.
W/O the red dot it weighs 2 lbs and 14.15 oz

I have no idea how the extension will hold up, but I have one with much thicker walls if this one fails.

After the holidays I’ll order a V7 lithium lower that I will stamp, and then swap the barrel extension for a LW flash hider or thread protector. That will give me a net weight just under 3 lbs with the red dot.

3 lbs, .29 oz

Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I finally finished this build. It took me a year and a half of tinkering around and ordering parts.
I did cheat a little, it’s a 10.5” barrel with an aluminum extension pinned and welded to make it legal. My end goal is to SBR it down the road.

I had certain goals with this build. I wanted no polymer at all, with exception of whatever is in the CF parts. Also wanted a good single stage trigger, my favorite red dot the RMR and the total weight at 3 lbs or less.
The Smoke Composites parts were also something I had been thinking about. They have a very “high end” look to them and I am very glad I went that direction.

I got everything but the weight, it came in at 3 lbs and .29 oz. Missed it by a hair.

I have no idea how the extension will hold up, but I have one with much thicker walls if this one fails.

After the holidays I’ll order a V7 lithium lower that I will stamp, and then swap the barrel extension for a LW flash hider or thread protector. That will give me a net weight just under 3 lbs with the red dot.

3 lbs, .29 oz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eebx3skdy9rdagd/Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%204%2024%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iz8lhgfo7ikuo1/Photo%20Nov%2018%2C%204%2010%2032%20PM.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
Awesome build! And sexy as hell, I love it! I'm currently gathering parts and hoping for a sub 5# truck gun. I have to keep it "featureless" here in the PRK. Wish me luck.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, and good luck on your build. Looking forward to pics.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]

3 lbs, .29 oz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eebx3skdy9rdagd/Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%204%2024%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iz8lhgfo7ikuo1/Photo%20Nov%2018%2C%204%2010%2032%20PM.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
Wow. Impressive. Bravo!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Just a heads-up, the Fostech magnesium/aluminum alloy uppers (stripped) are not only in stock (6 were listed as in stock when i placed my order) but also on sale at optics planet.

I can't bring myself to get the lower too, but it should help bring my sub-five-pound rifle down even further (also getting aluminum KMR nut, swapping my 10" KMR--not alpha, original all-Mg-version, and ti SLR block and V7 thread protector).
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaaand we're finished.

20200208_154720 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20200208_154631 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Fostech mg upper, BCM OG KMR-13 (not the alpha, the original magnesium verison), Faxon 16" pencil barrel, Syrac adjustable gas, AP Custom Rhino LW BCG, weights removed from standard CAR buffer, forged lower, standard A2 grip, vortex venom 3moa, amazon riser, v7 titanium micro brake.

Most expensive part was the BCG which was just over 2 bills.

You *CAN* build a really super lightweight rig for under $1k, kids....it just takes a while waiting for sales n shit.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice build professor.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice build professor.
View Quote
Thanks, here's the other I just refer to as the "lightweight" though it apparently is allowed in here too.  

20200210_155403 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

20200210_155523 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Aero lower, MFT minimalist, standard CAR buffer, non-adjustable gas, old version .625" Daniel Defense 16" pencil barrel, Anderson no-FA upper, ALG 10" HG and SCB, MOE-K, AIM BCG, DD front sight/Troy rear.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I set out for a sub 6lb rifle. It's nothing super aggressive, but I had a few constraints in mind. I used a 16" LaRue Predatar barrel. I could have definitely gone lighter, but I wanted something that would be extremely accurate, not pinned and welded, so that became my basis. I also wanted to use the Spikes Crusader lower, because I like the logo and reasons. Additionally, I wanted a handguard that would allow some flexibility and still be an actual usable handguard.

I came in at 5lb 10.4oz, which I'm actually proud of considering what I started with and how well it turned out.

Spike's Crusader Lower
Triggertech trigger
Hogue 15 degree grip
V seven buffer tube
Taccom ultralight buffer and enhanced spring
BCM gunfighter stock
v seven takedown pin, pivot pin, grip screw

Bootleg upper
AIM lightweight nib bcg
BCM small ch
LaRue Predatar 16" barrel
superlative arms .625 gas block
Midwest Industries lightweight 15" handguard
dsa titanium a2 flash hider

holosun red dot

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By at4rxj:
I set out for a sub 6lb rifle. It's nothing super aggressive, but I had a few constraints in mind. I used a 16" LaRue Predatar barrel. I could have definitely gone lighter, but I wanted something that would be extremely accurate, not pinned and welded, so that became my basis. I also wanted to use the Spikes Crusader lower, because I like the logo and reasons. Additionally, I wanted a handguard that would allow some flexibility and still be an actual usable handguard.

I came in at 5lb 10.4oz, which I'm actually proud of considering what I started with and how well it turned out.

Spike's Crusader Lower
Triggertech trigger
Hogue 15 degree grip
V seven buffer tube
Taccom ultralight buffer and enhanced spring
BCM gunfighter stock
v seven takedown pin, pivot pin, grip screw

Bootleg upper
AIM lightweight nib bcg
BCM small ch
LaRue Predatar 16" barrel
superlative arms .625 gas block
Midwest Industries lightweight 15" handguard
dsa titanium a2 flash hider

holosun red dot

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97856/20200210_214511_jpg-1271940.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97856/20200210_214415_jpg-1271939.JPG
View Quote
Nice!!  That barrel isn't even remotely close to being a weight-saver, so that's a very impressive build.  Well done!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L119188] [#31]
My latest...

New Frontier poly lower with poly fire control group, minus the pivot pins, which are steel.
Faxon 10.3” barrel
Titanium flash hider
KAK blade and buffer tube.
Aluminum upper with no forward assist or port door
Mil-spec pistol grip, bolt and buffer
Carbon fiber handguard with magpul sights.

4 pounds, 4.2 oz.
working on getting it under 4 pounds. :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Polymer vs Milspec...in case you’re curious. Both with a grip and without the rear takedown pin.

Mil-Spec: 15.6 ounces

NFA Polymer: 8.2 Ounces
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Going back to page 2:

OP here...so the rules are...
SBR is ok
Plastic/magnesium/balsa wood lowers ok....as long as you have a rifle that will function correctly and fire a few thousand rounds without any issues.
The pic doesn't need to be on the scale...I trust you, but the weight should be included in the post.
No optics? The rifle needs some type of sighting system, and that should be included in the weight.
...and yeah, the weight is for the whole gun, BCG included...that was a joke, by the way...all the guns so far have had their innards.
...and the 7 and a half pound 308 is neat and all, but this thread is for rifles six pounds and under....don't know if I mentioned. Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Guess mine fits the bill. Don't have a scale at home, but I weighed it at my LGS and she came out to a solid 4.71 lbs (4lbs 11.43 oz) with optic and no mag.

-14.5" Gunner with pinned slim flash hider and SLR Sentry 6 gas block.
-Kaiser X-7 Polymer receivers with V7 aluminum pins and the Elftmann push safety. Magpul K2 grip.
-Trigger is a Larue MBT-2S.  Mag catch assembly and dust cover are Strike Industries.
-Coda Evolution 13.5" Lightening CF Handguard with a BCM KAG.
-Brigand Arms CF Stock with Smokes end plate and V7 castle nut.
-RTB Lightweight carrier, Sharps XPB Bolt, Taccom Buffer with their reduced power spring.
-Optic is a Bushnell Lil' P.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
Going back to page 2:

SBR is ok
Plastic/magnesium/balsa wood lowers ok....as long as you have a rifle that will function correctly and fire a few thousand rounds without any issues.
The pic doesn't need to be on the scale...I trust you, but the weight should be included in the post.
No optics? The rifle needs some type of sighting system, and that should be included in the weight.
...and yeah, the weight is for the whole gun, BCG included...that was a joke, by the way...all the guns so far have had their innards.
...and the 7 and a half pound 308 is neat and all, but this thread is for rifles six pounds and under....don't know if I mentioned. Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.
View Quote
...ummmm...I AM the OP, and I'm following the rules. Not sure what your point is here?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Not directed at you but I am seeing a lot that don’t meet that criteria...
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Not directed at you but I am seeing a lot that don’t meet that criteria...
View Quote
Agreed. It seems the fatness tries to sneak in all the time.

I started this post because I was tired of seeing AR's that weigh more than a loaded Garand in "lightweight" threads.
Thanks for keeping the dream alive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By L119188:
...ummmm...I AM the OP, and I'm following the rules. Not sure what your point is here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Going back to page 2:

SBR is ok
OG OP here, y'all go fight somewhere else..

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By garn:

OG OP here, y'all go fight somewhere else..

View Quote
What's an OG OP? Original Gangsta? You a gangsta?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#40]
4lbs 3/4oz(no magazine). 10.5 inch barrel with a mix of 2A & V7 parts.

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
4lbs 3/4oz(no magazine). 10.5 inch barrel with a mix of 2A & V7 parts.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49626012033_c888dcb246_c.jpg
View Quote
Nice. What grip is that?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Nice. What grip is that?
View Quote
Hogue 15 degree

https://www.hogueinc.com/tactical-rifles/ar15/grips/polymer/ar15-m16-15-degree-vertical-no-finger-groove-polymer-black
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn, just cost me $20. :)
1.6 oz. good find. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Currently 4.37lb.
https://dadbert.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/20190330_1021486659971167771208638.jpg
View Quote
Nice build, but you need to time your flash hider. That thing is going to push the muzzle up when you fire instead of down like it was designed to do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrotherJackToo] [#45]
First up, my KISS carbine.  Hardly one fancy part in it: A1 slabside upper from Brownells, PSA nitride BCG and M4 barrel assembly, Aero M4E1 lower and Aero LPK, PSA buffer spring and carbine buffer, Larue MBT2s trigger, and the only two special-light parts on it, are the 2A armament aluminum end plate and an ebay special 7075 aluminum castle nut, topped off with a brownells CAR clone stock, and some obligatory magpul furniture.  And I see I managed to cut it off in the pic, but its got an aluminum sound forwarding type muzzle brake on it (0.9oz).   Total weight, 5lbs 14.3 oz:

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#46]
And second up, something a little fancier:  Lower essentially identical to above except for an ATI Tactlite stock instead of the CAR (and I think this one had a CMMG LPK if I recall).   Upper is an Aero mil-spec, V7 lightweight FA, a Spikes infidel port door, a Brownells lightweight BCG, Faxon 18 inch gunner barrel, 2A Armament keymod 15" handguard, Superlative Arms adjustable gas-block, Sig Romeo 5 XDR, some ebay special thread-protector, and a Radian LT charging handle.    All in, including the optic , 5lbs 12oz, which leaves me enough room that if I wanted to, I could drop any one of several light-weight flip-up sights on there for BUIS and still come in under 6lbs, optics and all.    Gas is turned down to about half open in the SA gas block to keep it running smooth (I am use the 'restrict gas', not the 'vent gas' feature of said GB).

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BrotherJackToo:
And second up, something a little fancier:  Lower essentially identical to above except for an ATI Tactlite stock instead of the CAR (and I think this one had a CMMG LPK if I recall).   Upper is an Aero mil-spec, V7 lightweight FA, a Spikes infidel port door, a Brownells lightweight BCG, Faxon 18 inch gunner barrel, 2A Armament keymod 15" handguard, Superlative Arms adjustable gas-block, Sig Romeo 5 XDR, some ebay special thread-protector, and a Radian LT charging handle.    All in, including the optic , 5lbs 12oz, which leaves me enough room that if I wanted to, I could drop any one of several light-weight flip-up sights on there for BUIS and still come in under 6lbs, optics and all.    Gas is turned down to about half open in the SA gas block to keep it running smooth (I am use the 'restrict gas', not the 'vent gas' feature of said GB).

http://www.jacklambert.com/pics/20200227_174705.jpg
View Quote
Very impressive build. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Very impressive build. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback!

The 18 is definitely my favorite AR to date (though that A1 carbine comes in as a real close second, but mostly just cuz I think the A1 looks pretty cool, from a practical standpoint the 18 wins hands down).   On the 18 inch - with the thread protector instead of a flash-hider or other extended muzzle device, and that super-light barrel and handguard, it handles every bit as easy (in most cases easier) - both length wise and balance wise - as any lightweight 16 inch carbine I've ever owned.   With the 2A handguard (9oz counting the alum barrel nut) and gunner barrel at 25.5 oz all-in, including the thread protector, adding gas tube, gas block, it comes out at 36 ounces and change extended past the mag-well.   A Faxon pencil build with a slightly heavier handguard and a typical muzzle device won't be much (if any) lighter out front, and I kind of find that the overall balance of the weapon affects how well I can shoot it (and how much I enjoy shooting it) far more than overall weight.   Sure, a 10lb gun sucks balls and I wouldn't have it, but 4.75lbs unbalanced vs 5.75lbs nicely balanced?  give me the 5.75lb gun all day every day, and twice on Sundays.

Of course, all that said, I've got plans drawn up (and a few parts already bought) to build a 4.75lbs (including RDS and BUIS) 16" carbine that will only have about 29 oz and change hanging past the magwell, that I expect/hope will have the same kind of overall balance as the 18, but at a full pound lighter.   I won't know for sure until I finish it, but they're both about the same relative weight distribution front-to-back, so I'm hopeful it'll be awesome.    :)

All IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Hold on to your wallet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eodinert:

Hold on to your wallet!
LW Parts Database LINK! :)
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Just finished my first light weight build. Comes in right around 5.5lbs. After handling 8+lb ARs for a while, this is a crazy experience. Cant wait to go shoot it and see how it runs!

Page / 38
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top