User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:54:47 AM EDT
Sorry for the new-be question

what is the purpose of a Magpul, the obvious answer for me is to pull the mag out but on my AR they fall out just fine when I hit the release.... Please don't beat me up, I'm still learning
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
to pull it out of the magazine pouch...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
IF and when a mag gets stuck in the mag well.
To make it easier to remove mags from the mag pouch.
A mag attachment point for a mag lanyard.
It looks tacticly uber cool.

Take your pick.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing a looped piece of paracord won't accomplish.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#5]
They are made to seperate the armchair commando from his money. Real world military personel in combat dont use them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are made to seperate the armchair commando from his money. Real world military personel in combat dont use them.

Only thing I've ever seen on .mil peoples mags were loops of paracord through the bottom plate, with some duct tape to stiffen em up on the sides.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I now stand before you enlightened , Thanks for not beating me up!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, when changing mags, you can leave the empty one dangling from your pinky or other finger by the magpul while you load the full one.  So you do not have to waste a hand holding an empty mag and you don't have to let the mag drop to the ground.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
If and a big if at that, you are in a situation that you are in a firefight you will revert back to your training. It will be instinctive. So if you train by putting empty mags back in your pouch you will do so in a fire situation you wont even realize you do it but you will. Let me just say this LET THE MAG DROP TO THE  GROUND, IT IS EMPTY AND WORTHESS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sir, I can't say you're 100% wrong but......The Army Air Force exchange is one of our largest dealers.  They purchase and sell 10's of thousands of Magpuls a year.  Note that only Military personel can purchase from AAFE's.  I've seen countless Marine's and Army guys on CNN and all over the internet in Afganistan and Iraq with Magpul's.  Just an observation  The product is an improvement of an existing idea.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only thing I've ever seen on .mil peoples mags were loops of paracord through the bottom plate, with some duct tape to stiffen em up on the sides.

I've seen them on plenty of Military rigs.

But what is easier to get once your over there and decide you might need something to get your magazines out of your chest rig faster
1. Magpuls
---or----
2. Parachord and duct-tape

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what is easier to get once your over there and decide you might need something to get your magazines out of your chest rig faster
1. Magpuls
---or----

Like this.....

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Magpuls
---or----

Like this.....

storage.msn.com/x1pGHpas_o48lloZCQl0mXU4DkPJz2o1JSZGmPg1FIdoJkzMdG-NGFDjoIzG3L03hFfrU5cMeDmpI6AN2uz_GkHhSsY3qnNocsTZfKK7tIi8CUxlJpLHFC91r1uJgun1y0B86CqVVeYtqN8ziefZMJGQA
storage.msn.com/x1pGHpas_o48lloZCQl0mXU4DkPJz2o1JSZGmPg1FIdoJmRYoDa73rfBXqVzqFVjMxVyU6KFGn_rN2lJaazJwlY7AwOm6jl4SY5FuHYwNjQWigMbANhbAH2W0SL_z_eh9H1eqZpT_2B_oyf-ZA8ZinZoA
storage.msn.com/x1pGHpas_o48lloZCQl0mXU4DkPJz2o1JSZGmPg1FIdoJlAWaQkrKOulVRGHpEbNlruIzMYYmMXv9dm10dx0Ak4Gi2Z7_Bz48lq897PQdCpWCimzqVxtr0fCTtuDF_IrQ_wYTEP7GvV43GV_B8hW5K1DQ

Exactly, I like the paracord better myself. The ranger plates put Alot of tension on a 30rd mag.
Where as the paracord and tape does not. Easy to fix, find, obtain, and make.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
OK first of all you said Air force thats not real military.  OK JUST KIDDIN DONT SHOOT> I  will say that during a combat situation that the toops let thier mags drop to the ground and reload. Yes they may use different tricks to aid in getting the mags out of the pouches faster. But really all I am saying is dont buy into all the tatical marketing bullshit. Real military personal dont worry about dents ,dings and a magpul saving a base plate, they drop that empty mag and move on. Now when mags are handed out for a loadout the military does not put magpuls on them. If the Air Force personal are putting them on their mags after loadout, so they can dangle them on their pinkys while being shot at then so be it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK first of all you said Air force thats not real military.  OK JUST KIDDIN DONT SHOOT> I  will say that during a combat situation that the toops let thier mags drop to the ground and reload. Yes they may use different tricks to aid in getting the mags out of the pouches faster. But really all I am saying is dont buy into all the tatical marketing bullshit. Real military personal dont worry about dents ,dings and a magpul saving a base plate, they drop that empty mag and move on. Now when mags are handed out for a loadout the military does not put magpuls on them. If the Air Force personal are putting them on their mags after loadout, so they can dangle them on their pinkys while being shot at then so be it.

Reminds me of an LEO who was our instructor in POST training back in the day, and he told us to dump our shells on the ground, and police them later.......as he said during some shootouts they had back in the 70's, some officers went right back to their training.....and dropped empty shells into their hands, and then pockets........and were shot trying to reload.

Man....I"m old......but good point!

Whatever works in the field.....and I also have some HIRES of these pictures.....and they have about the most beat up M4's I have ever seen, and covered with powder like sand.......those are no safe queens young gents, these are weapons in an active combat zone, and treated as such, and equipped as such.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reminds me of an LEO who was our instructor in POST training back in the day, and he told us to dump our shells on the ground, and police them later.......as he said during some shootouts they had back in the 70's, some officers went right back to their training.....and dropped empty shells into their hands, and then pockets........and were shot trying to reload.

Man....I"m old......but good point!

Whatever works in the field.....and I also have some HIRES of these pictures.....and they have about the most beat up M4's I have ever seen, and covered with powder like sand.......those are no safe queens young gents, these are weapons in an active combat zone, and treated as such, and equipped as such.

You should see some of the Israeli M4s and M16s that have been in constant use since delievered off the boat.  
They keep on tickin.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Some people also like the idea of the Magpul taking the iniitial hit when they are dumped to the ground. During training that can help save your mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, I never new my dumb question would spark such a wide range of responses, I was expecting "you dumb A#%"
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If and a big if at that, you are in a situation that you are in a firefight you will revert back to your training. It will be instinctive. So if you train by putting empty mags back in your pouch you will do so in a fire situation you wont even realize you do it but you will. Let me just say this LET THE MAG DROP TO THE  GROUND, IT IS EMPTY AND WORTHESS.

If I am in a firefight in my house and need to change mags, there is a bigger problem than whether or not I don't let a mag drop to the ground.

Not all of us are LEO or military.  Though I am former military, I am not expecting to need more than 30 rounds in a firefight anytime soon.  So, when I am at the range, shooting for fun, forgive me if I don't drop my mags on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I actually do worry about dented Magazines, but for a slightly different reason.  I want to prevent as much damage as possible to my issue mags because 1) Magazines cause most problems in the weapon, if I can prevent a problem before it happens than all the better. 2)some times it takes longer to replace via supply than I have time to wait.  

Most of those dents would occur in training and everyone I prevent from becoming unserviceable is one less I have to order and wait for.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
OK--"you dumb a#%"---there, ya happy---now do see what you've done!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It is more about making it easier to pull mags out of pouch than out of the AR. They also absorb some of the shock when they drop from the AR.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

+1
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Much Better!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Now when mags are handed out for a loadout the military does not put magpuls on them. If the Air Force personal are putting them on their mags after loadout, so they can dangle them on their pinkys while being shot at then so be it.

Man, I hate to keep telling you that you're wrong but....there are a lot of units that are issued Magpuls.  Not trying to advertise here.   If you don't buy into the "super uber ghey tac stuff", so be it.  There is a lot of bullshit I see in the tactical community that I don't get, it's you're opinion.

Oh, just for info....I never dangled a mag  from my pinky while in the AF and I used 550 cord and duct tape.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now when mags are handed out for a loadout the military does not put magpuls on them. If the Air Force personal are putting them on their mags after loadout, so they can dangle them on their pinkys while being shot at then so be it.

Man, I hate to keep telling you that you're wrong but....there are a lot of units that are issued Magpuls.  Not trying to advertise here.   If you don't buy into the "super uber ghey tac stuff", so be it.  There is a lot of bullshit I see in the tactical community that I don't get, it's you're opinion.

Oh, just for info....I never dangled a mag  from my pinky while in the AF and I used 550 cord and duct tape.  

To this day, I have never seen the use of any Magpuls in either OIF or Stan......BUT, I have seen the 550 parachord/duct tape doo-dads.

Either the Magpuls are just not being issued in the needed quantities, or some supply clerk is hawking them on ebay, or stuck somwhere.

I myself prefer Mid-Tenn's solution........to the magpuls.  I've done 12 mags myself, and they work great, and cost almost nothing, and the strapping does provide for some cushion upon impact, for those of us to simply drop our magazines.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=369180

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#26]
replace paracord and duct tape

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#27]
the reason I use ranger plates is becuase I use the magpul followers (with the followers you can only fit 28 and that is tight, with the plates you can fit 30 and with 28 in there it is easy days to change mags) and I use those becuase I know they work better then the normal followers and since I was issued a brand new rifle with brandnew mags i wanted to limit the amount of issues I would have with it.

Also a lot of people are now training that as soon as you move you change mags, and that may or may not mean your mag is empty, and for that you want mag retention. IE dump pouches
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#28]
How exactly can I rig up the 550 paracord and duct tape on my mags?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

take a piece (or 3 like in the pics) of paracord then put a knot at each end. Place the cord in the magazine and slide the floorplate back in place over the 550 cord.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Actually, he said Army Air Force exchange.  I guess that you are not aware that the Army and Air Force PX system is called the Army Air Force Exchange System.  They sell to the Army too.
Make all the condescending remarks you want about the AF, they still have some rather dangerous work as well and more than a few have died doing something more dangerous than hammering on a keyboard on arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess you didnt see the smillie and the just Kiddin.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Just for the uninformed, the Army/Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) has feet on the ground at almost every base/camp in Iraq, Afghanistan and almost every other place our troops are worldwide.  Somolia was about the only place where they were sent to Ft. Benning for qualification with either an M-16/M-9 before shipping out and were allowed to be armed while in country. Even in the mid-east sandboxes, they are NOT allowed to be armed. Would YOU volunteer?

These folks are civilians dedicated to serving the troops and are at the same threat level as many of our troops. Hats off!!!

Sorry to be off topic, but there is a class bunch off folks standing in support shoulder to shoulder with our troops and they need to be recognized!!!

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

take a piece (or 3 like in the pics) of paracord then put a knot at each end. Place the cord in the magazine and slide the floorplate back in place over the 550 cord.

www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul02rr.jpg www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul03rr.jpg
www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul05rr.jpg www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul06rr.jpg

Great info, thanks.  I'm going to go rig one up right now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#34]
^ I got few mags from the sand box and all had the paracord-magpul on them
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#35]
No one has mag-puls over here?  That's news to me.  I see them all the time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just for the uninformed, the Army/Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) has feet on the ground at almost every base/camp in Iraq, Afghanistan and almost every other place our troops are worldwide.  Somolia was about the only place where they were sent to Ft. Benning for qualification with either an M-16/M-9 before shipping out and were allowed to be armed while in country. Even in the mid-east sandboxes, they are NOT allowed to be armed. Would YOU volunteer?

These folks are civilians dedicated to serving the troops and are at the same threat level as many of our troops. Hats off!!!

Sorry to be off topic, but there is a class bunch off folks standing in support shoulder to shoulder with our troops and they need to be recognized!!!

You don't even want to start me on AAFES, the employees in the field aren't the problem it is the organization itself.  Here is a perfect example Iraq in Summer of 03, they were charging troops about double prices for items bought in the exchange because of the high cost to get it to Baghdad, instead reducing profits, bonuses for exec or amount given back to bases in states they increased the prices.  Another area that has pissed me off is there policy if you buy for unit function or issue to troops they discount your IMPAC card purchases 10 percent.  Why not for official functions they sell  to the units at cost?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No one has mag-puls over here?  That's news to me.  I see them all the time.

I was wondering when someone from the box would pop in.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Magpuls turned sideways are lower profile and I like them better that way, also they provide a more secure grip on the bottom third of the magazine body... paracord and tape is an improvised solution like duct taping a maglite to your forearm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Magpuls turned sideways are lower profile and I like them better that way, also they provide a more secure grip on the bottom third of the magazine body... paracord and tape is an improvised solution like duct taping a maglite to your forearm.

Here's what mine look like.......my M4 pouch is very tight, and these make it pulling it out a snap, and they open up a little more than the Magpuls, and is even quite handy with gloves on, which is the whole point for some.....the original poster brought up the pics to make these again:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=369180&page=2

Not bad......and I have enough straps/ductape to make hundreds of these.  But about a dozen mags is enough for me.

Whatever works guys......for cheap-skates, like myself, and with mags at $8 bucks now, I'd rather buy more mags.  They all do the same thing........ :)  Just mine aren't very pretty, but works!

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I agree. all my magpuls have been turned sideways. with their lower profile they fit my lbv's mag pouches
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul02rr.jpg www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul03rr.jpg
www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul05rr.jpg www.renegaderecon.com/images/articleimages/ranger_magpul06rr.jpg

Nice pics!  Have you ever tried a zip tie inside the para cord to stiffen it a bit?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice pics!  Have you ever tried a zip tie inside the para cord to stiffen it a bit?

Thats what 100mph tape is for,  run it up the sides an inch, wrapped around the cord.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what 100mph tape is for,  run it up the sides an inch, wrapped around the cord.

90 mile an hour won't retain its stiffness, you add either zip tips or the plastic banding wrap (off of MREs works great) to the underside of the 90 mile an hour tape and it pops up when the pouch is opened.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

90 mile an hour won't retain its stiffness, you add either zip tips or the plastic banding wrap (off of MREs works great) to the underside of the 90 mile an hour tape and it pops up when the pouch is opened.

oh ok, I get it, I missed the "inside" the para cord part.  Blonde moment
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I have paracord on my magazines.  The main reason I have them there is when I'm reloading, I hang my mags on my D-link that's on my vest,lbe, IBA, etc.   I find it faster to put the magazine there then put it back in the pouch.  It also prevents me from pulling out an empty/low magazine.  When I'm behind cover, I do put them back the ammo pouch opposite of the loaded magazines so I can tell by feel which are empty and which are loaded.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Paracord will work fine, but it doesn't cushion a drop and can if done incorrectly inhibit spring action (see photos posted previous)

Plus I'd venture a guess that our soldiers would use Magpul - and not duct tape/cord -if they were available.

Kopper..............what is the version of MagPul pictured in the latest issue of SWAT magazine ? (In the magazine article by Pat Rogers).

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I took magpuls to the sandbox in both '02 & '03.  Air Force Security Forces does not issue magazines as individual equipment.  Loaded mags are drawn from the Armory along with the weapon.  So, unless you wanted to spend time before and after each shift applying/removing duct tape & 550 cord, Magpuls were a better bet.  

Also, I found it easier to remove a mag from a chest rig with magpuls than without, in the prone.   Further, if you are wearing gloves, and in the sandbox, on high temp days, everyone does cause any metal becomes too hot to touch real fast. magpuls make handling with gloves easier.  

They act as bumpers during mag dumps, reducing wear and tear on the mag.  Also, I have seen the floorplates come off some mags when the 550 has been attached directly to the floorplate in some fashion.  Issue magazines take a pretty good beating.  Loaded or empty, they go to the field everytime the troops do.

In Kuwait, we had plenty of Marines assigned to the 332 ESFS, including MP's from Miramar and Yuma, a few maintainers, and a majority of the 2nd Marine Air Wing Band.  These guys went on duty just like us cops, weapons and mags from the armory, and they were ordering magpuls from home.  

Note Magpul on my magazine in the pic below.  Bahrain '02
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I have paracord on my magazines.  The main reason I have them there is when I'm reloading, I hang my mags on my D-link that's on my vest,lbe, IBA, etc.   I find it faster to put the magazine there then put it back in the pouch.  It also prevents me from pulling out an empty/low magazine.  When I'm behind cover, I do put them back the ammo pouch opposite of the loaded magazines so I can tell by feel which are empty and which are loaded.

G-man enable your IM or email. An old OPFOR trooper from Bco wants to talk to you.

Nice job in the box.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#50]
To be quite honest absolutely nothing, just for looks if you want my opinion
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top