User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Three words.  Plastic Verticle Grip.

As previously mentioned, a vertical forgrip doesn't help the weapon from crashing from over heating. Standing there with a pistol grip in hand, attached to an overheated weapoin that won't fire anymore isn't good in a combat situation, and has happened. That's why the SPEC OPS has focused on free float, heavier barrels, instead of M4 skinny in the middle, and anything else that will help the weapon to not crash, like blown barrels, tilting down out of alignment barrels, broken extractors,etc. Caused mostly by over heating.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Can a semi auto weapon properly equipped with a well designed FF system even overheat? By overheat I mean make the weapon non functioning, Blow up the barrel, Droop the barrel, Shoot out the rifling, that sort of bad stuff.

I am not talking about bump firing a OLY Plinker using Beta C mags till the barrel is red
I am talking about a mil spec chrome lined barreled carbine, Aiming & firing at targets as fast as you can pull the trigger!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can a semi auto weapon properly equipped with a well designed FF system even overheat? By overheat I mean make the weapon non functioning, Blow up the barrel, Droop the barrel, Shoot out the rifling, that sort of bad stuff.

I am not talking about bump firing a OLY Plinker using Beta C mags till the barrel is red
I am talking about a mil spec chrome lined barreled carbine, Aiming & firing at targets as fast as you can pull the trigger!  

Yes, but it will take a lot longer, and depends how you shoot. If you have a rail that is attached directly to the barrel, and pile a lot on it ,and especially pull down on it and the barrel a lot via a pistol grip, it will accelerate malfunctions sooner than latter. If you have a free float rail, then there are not external forces like the above descriiption at work against you and the weapon, except the cooling issues.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As previously mentioned, a vertical forgrip doesn't help the weapon from crashing from over heating. Standing there with a pistol grip in hand, attached to an overheated weapoin that won't fire anymore isn't good in a combat situation, and has happened. That's why the SPEC OPS has focused on free float, heavier barrels, instead of M4 skinny in the middle, and anything else that will help the weapon to not crash, like blown barrels, tilting down out of alignment barrels, broken extractors,etc. Caused mostly by over heating.
Jack

Jack, I wasn't referring to barrel heat.  I am referring to how the shooter can handle the heat as handguards heat up.  This is a solution to how to deal with heat to your hand, not to your barrel to which I have no comment other than to say insulating types (M4) suck as they trap heat, others dissipate heat through heat sync action which means they themselves heat up.  In any regard, a plastic verticle grip will insulate your hand from the handguard, then it won't matter how much your handguard heats up, barrel overheating or not.  It appears the answer to barrel heat is to get a carbon wrapped barrel through MGI, rather than a heavy barrel which weighs a lot, and takes longer to cool.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jack

Jack, I wasn't referring to barrel heat.  I am referring to how the shooter can handle the heat as handguards heat up.  This is a solution to how to deal with heat to your hand, not to your barrel to which I have no comment other than to say insulating types (M4) suck as they trap heat, others dissipate heat through heat sync action which means they themselves heat up.  In any regard, a plastic verticle grip will insulate your hand from the handguard, then it won't matter how much your handguard heats up, barrel overheating or not.  It appears the answer to barrel heat is to get a carbon wrapped barrel through MGI, rather than a heavy barrel which weighs a lot, and takes longer to cool.

Heat sync is fine and needs to happen smartly,  but not in the middle of the barrel. The heat gets trapped there in glowing papid volume and then travels slower when it reaches heavier barrel sections.  The radiant heat from the slim section, heat sync, is obviously and significantly higher
than the rest of the barrel.                                                                                                               Lessons learned from other automatic weapons was ignored when it came to barrel design on the M16A2/M4 weapons. The successfull MG barrels are heavier at the receiver end and gently tapper to the muzzle. Heat travels the the least amount of resistance more rapidly during saturation.
Thje M16A1 thin barrel was tappered, and ran cooler than most realize in that aspect.
Just because a weapon is a belt fed, doesn't mean that why it works better shouldin't be appied to a rifle/carbine that also fire in full auto., but that is what happened.
Now those lessons learned are being applied with a heavier, but tappered barrel. Tappering torwads the muzzle will lesson heat sink in the wrong places, and help draw the heat to where the barrel is not shrouded by a hand guard, it can cool more quickly by unrestrained airflow. The barrel won't be that much heavier, because of the tapper.
Carbon wrap has never had any positive effect, flutting has.
I totaly agree that a heavy barrel takes longer to heat up, and longer to cool down.  Longer to heat is obviously what we are striving for, but will depend on how the barrel is configured to have any real success. There are a lot of contributing factors to help the weapon, and they need to be used in a co-ordinated manor. Not band ad fixes for protecting hands, when in fact the best way is to do something about the source of heat in the first place.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, I'm not claiming anything just sighting the results reported from tests long ago, currently, and shown again in the field. Polymer manufacturers always point out the thermal cooling abilities, etc. apposed to using metal, and my own experiences and others I have witnesses.
The alum. as you note, does get hotter and faster, but don't forget that these new polymers and even plastic never get as hot as the alum. in the first place. Then consider that alum. can't be hand held nearly as long as the polymer in the same exact scenario of firing. Alum. must be covered by a polymer panel to allow hands to keep holding the weapon, when all tests are conducted evenly. Even then, the (panel) covering up an alum. rail, is going to get much hotter faster than any polymer, especially one that is not required to be in direct contact with alum. rails. Alum. is like a sponge for collecting heat, attaching a polymer to that alum. keeps the alum. from doing it's radiant cooling like it could if not covered by a panel.
I have already mentioned that anyone can check out these things with a temp gauge themselves.
Put a polymer panel out in the sun, and a piece of alum. beside it, then check the temps for the speed of absorption and cooling times.
Jack

Do you have a link to these tests?  Being a materials scientist in a former life (as well as a certifiable gun nut) that sounds right up my alley.  

Plastic, BTW, is AWFUL for dissipating heat.  Think about your car in summer, as I do alot here in AZ.   Everything in the car is the same temperature, because it is all in equilibrium (the plastic actual DOES get to be the same temperature as the metal, assuming you leave the car alone in the sun for awhile).  When you sit on the seat or touch the dash, its hot, but doesn't burn you.  When you touch the seatbelt buckle, however, you know in a hurry because even though the metal the same temperature as the plastic it transports heat much, much faster.  Same thing in a cool pool, 65 degrees in water feels much cooler than 65 in air because the water transports heat away from your body much faster than air.

Plastics' poor heat conduction actually works to our advantage in a handguard, as I'll explain.    

Since the amount of heat generated by the barrel does not depend on what type of HG you've got, the barrel temperature only depends on how it leaves the barrel.  There are three basic ways heat is transfered:

contact (OW! I burned my hand on that $#%^#& Barrel!)

radiation (light has energy, and the hotter somthing gets, the more energy it radiates in the form of light.  This is how infrared scopes work, and why the sun feels warm)

convection (the hot object heats the surrounding air or other fluid, which then gets hotter and less dense, so it floats up and takes the heat with it)

The amount of power (heat) dissipated through radiation is proportional to the fourth power of temperature.  This means that radiation becomes the dominant means of heat dissipation only for VERY hot things, like a red hot poker or the sun.   In our case, a plastic and a metal handguard of exactly the same shape will absorb more or less the same infrared energy from the barrel, if the plastic is black and the metal is not shiny.    As long as the metal isn't shiny (in which case it WILL act like a mirror and reflect all the energy back to the barrel),  the metal would actually dissipate more heat than the plastic, because the plastic conducts heat terribly, and thus would radiate most its heat back INSIDE the handguard since the heat doesn't really have a chance to get to the outside of the HG.  The metal would rapidly conduct heat to the outside of the handguard, where it could be radiated away efficiently.  

This isn't what happens though, unless you're barrel is brandin-iron hot, in which case metal handguards may be the way to go.

What is really important here is the convection.   The polymer HG stays cooler outside, because it sucks at transporting heat.  This means that the air inside of the HG gets hot very quickly, and so rises very quickly and takes lots of heat with it.  Assuming there are reasonable vents, the HG will act as a great chimney.  The metal HG on the other hand, would transport some heat to the outside, heating not only your hand, but the air around the HG.  Thus the metal handguard is a poorer chimey, because the air wants to rise slowly AROUND the HG, not quickly rise up THROUGH the HG, which is more efficient.

Contact is not very important either, because there is not a lot or contact area between a free floated-barrel and anything else (except maybe a stray finger)

So, the take home message is buy the handguard with the best ventilation, and plastic is probably a little better than metal (it absorbs sunlight slower too, something I had assumed wasn't occuring in the above discussion).   Plastic ontop of metal is bad though, because you get the worst of both worlds: the metal will collect heat from the air inside the HG and can hold lots of it.  This makes your convection worse, but the plastic prevents that heat from being radiated away.

*end science lesson*

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, I'm not claiming anything just sighting the results reported from tests long ago, currently, and shown again in the field. Polymer manufacturers always point out the thermal cooling abilities, etc. apposed to using metal, and my own experiences and others I have witnesses.
The alum. as you note, does get hotter and faster, but don't forget that these new polymers and even plastic never get as hot as the alum. in the first place. Then consider that alum. can't be hand held nearly as long as the polymer in the same exact scenario of firing. Alum. must be covered by a polymer panel to allow hands to keep holding the weapon, when all tests are conducted evenly. Even then, the (panel) covering up an alum. rail, is going to get much hotter faster than any polymer, especially one that is not required to be in direct contact with alum. rails. Alum. is like a sponge for collecting heat, attaching a polymer to that alum. keeps the alum. from doing it's radiant cooling like it could if not covered by a panel.
I have already mentioned that anyone can check out these things with a temp gauge themselves.
Put a polymer panel out in the sun, and a piece of alum. beside it, then check the temps for the speed of absorption and cooling times.
Jack

Do you have a link to these tests?  Being a materials scientist in a former life (as well as a certifiable gun nut) that sounds right up my alley.  

Plastic, BTW, is AWFUL for dissipating heat.  Think about your car in summer, as I do alot here in AZ.   Everything in the car is the same temperature, because it is all in equilibrium (the plastic actual DOES get to be the same temperature as the metal, assuming you leave the car alone in the sun for awhile).  When you sit on the seat or touch the dash, its hot, but doesn't burn you.  When you touch the seatbelt buckle, however, you know in a hurry because even though the metal the same temperature as the plastic it transports heat much, much faster.  Same thing in a cool pool, 65 degrees in water feels much cooler than 65 in air because the water transports heat away from your body much faster than air.

Plastics' poor heat conduction actually works to our advantage in a handguard, as I'll explain.    

Since the amount of heat generated by the barrel does not depend on what type of HG you've got, the barrel temperature only depends on how it leaves the barrel.  There are three basic ways heat is transfered:

contact (OW! I burned my hand on that $#%^#& Barrel!)

radiation (light has energy, and the hotter somthing gets, the more energy it radiates in the form of light.  This is how infrared scopes work, and why the sun feels warm)

convection (the hot object heats the surrounding air or other fluid, which then gets hotter and less dense, so it floats up and takes the heat with it)

The amount of power (heat) dissipated through radiation is proportional to the fourth power of temperature.  This means that radiation becomes the dominant means of heat dissipation only for VERY hot things, like a red hot poker or the sun.   In our case, a plastic and a metal handguard of exactly the same shape will absorb more or less the same infrared energy from the barrel, if the plastic is black and the metal is not shiny.    As long as the metal isn't shiny (in which case it WILL act like a mirror and reflect all the energy back to the barrel),  the metal would actually dissipate more heat than the plastic, because the plastic conducts heat terribly, and thus would radiate most its heat back INSIDE the handguard since the heat doesn't really have a chance to get to the outside of the HG.  The metal would rapidly conduct heat to the outside of the handguard, where it could be radiated away efficiently.  

This isn't what happens though, unless you're barrel is brandin-iron hot, in which case metal handguards may be the way to go.

What is really important here is the convection.   The polymer HG stays cooler outside, because it sucks at transporting heat.  This means that the air inside of the HG gets hot very quickly, and so rises very quickly and takes lots of heat with it.  Assuming there are reasonable vents, the HG will act as a great chimney.  The metal HG on the other hand, would transport some heat to the outside, heating not only your hand, but the air around the HG.  Thus the metal handguard is a poorer chimey, because the air wants to rise slowly AROUND the HG, not quickly rise up THROUGH the HG, which is more efficient.

Contact is not very important either, because there is not a lot or contact area between a free floated-barrel and anything else (except maybe a stray finger)

So, the take home message is buy the handguard with the best ventilation, and plastic is probably a little better than metal (it absorbs sunlight slower too, something I had assumed wasn't occuring in the above discussion).   Plastic ontop of metal is bad though, because you get the worst of both worlds: the metal will collect heat from the air inside the HG and can hold lots of it.  This makes your convection worse, but the plastic prevents that heat from being radiated away.

*end science lesson*

Is it time for beer yet???

Good resertation, and observant in adressing the problems.
The shinny alum. so called heat shields, as you mention, are anything but heat shields, they are one of the band aids to protecting hands, but work against solving the over heating. They not only absorb the heat and radiate that to the alum. , they reflect the heat back at the barrel that wants to cool from radiation but can't like it could as much with a ceramic shield.  It's still like putting a humidifyer in a room to fight it out with the de humidifyer, it's a losing proposition for the room, just like the weapon.
We put men in space, and have seen what heat can do to a space craft if there is a flaw in the heat shield.
Science is the challenge to make things first understood, and then somehow corrected, or made better. As you know, to make things better, they teach us to first identify the problem/s.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I forgot to answer you question about referances, the best way to get into what your looking for is just go to GOOGLE. There are so many, that to point out a particular one is not going to help, because there are so many aspects that need to be combined with weapon human engineering factors. Just type in thermal dynamics, sub. referances of metalergy, composits, alloys, radiant heat, convection, etc. as a start, as you obviously know. Glad to make your aquantence.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
To sum things up here one would note that while a composite HG will absorb less heat through conduction(contact) and be more comfortable to hold, it will also dissipate less heat through convection meaning a higher barrel tempature. An aluminum HG will absorb much more of the barrels heat through conduction becoming less confortable to hold but will be dissipating the same heat to the surrounding air through convection meaning a cooler barrel. By using a YHM 2pc. aluminum HG that absorbs and dissapates heat very well acting as a big, well ventilated fin and covering (with HG covers) only enough to hold on to I can now fire many more rnds. before worrying about barrel damage. With the plastic HG's I melted off my rifle I could barely hold on due to barrel heat radiating from the barrel through the ventillation holes even though the HG's themselves were only about as hot as the rail covers now get on the aluminum HG's. The rifle as a whole  runs much cooler allowing many more rapid fire shots with a ventillated aluminum HG than with a plastic HG with sheilds or a ventillated composite HG with or with out rail covers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I suggest you visit this thread, it appears carbon wrap has a very significant effect, and these barrels are being tested by the military.  As far as I am concerned, it's the way to go rather than heavy barrels.  I haven't heard any definitive proof that they are not functioning as advertised.  Lighter and dissapates heat faster than a heavy barrel.  From what I understand, standard fluting is almost insignificant in it's ability to increase cooling, but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
To sum things up here one would note that while a composite HG will absorb less heat through conduction(contact) and be more comfortable to hold, it will also dissipate less heat through convection meaning a higher barrel tempature. An aluminum HG will absorb much more of the barrels heat through conduction becoming less confortable to hold but will be dissipating the same heat to the surrounding air through convection meaning a cooler barrel. By using a YHM 2pc. aluminum HG that absorbs and dissapates heat very well acting as a big, well ventilated fin and covering (with HG covers) only enough to hold on to I can now fire many more rnds. before worrying about barrel damage. With the plastic HG's I melted off my rifle I could barely hold on due to barrel heat radiating from the barrel through the ventillation holes even though the HG's themselves were only about as hot as the rail covers now get on the aluminum HG's. The rifle as a whole  runs much cooler allowing many more rapid fire shots with a ventillated aluminum HG than with a plastic HG with sheilds or a ventillated composite HG with or with out rail covers.

Yes and mostly no, if considering the fact that alum. handgurds cant' be held as they get too hot and must have covers over them to be able to grasp the weapon a little long, before needing a forwar pistol grip. The panels prevent the cooling just like insulators are supposed to do. The polymer handguads take much more firering before getting as hot as the alum. covered by panels.
Conductive heat is real fast and much higher temp.  Untill alum. rails came along, all M16 variations used some sort of material other than alum. to hang onto. Every single other type weapon that I'm aware of, did not, and do not use alum. to hang onto.                                                  While alum. may radiate heat away very well, it is not pleasant to have it radiate right into the hand, even with the panels, because after a very short period of time panels get real heated do to the fact they are in direct contact with the supper hot alum.
If ventalated alum. was practicle placed where hands go, they wouldn't cobver them with panels.
The answer has been to not put alum. as a lower handguard, that's because polymer reject heat a lot more than alum.
The SIR's and others with non alum. lower handguards (like the G36), etc. have proven to run a lot cooled for the hand and overall weapon in semi and full auto operation.
Jack

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suggest you visit this thread, it appears carbon wrap has a very significant effect, and these barrels are being tested by the military.  As far as I am concerned, it's the way to go rather than heavy barrels.  I haven't heard any definitive proof that they are not functioning as advertised.  Lighter and dissapates heat faster than a heavy barrel.  From what I understand, standard fluting is almost insignificant in it's ability to increase cooling, but I could be mistaken.

They have been testing it for almost 20 years and as I said, has not proven practical, unfortunatley.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have been testing it for almost 20 years and as I said, has not proven practical, unfortunatley.
Jack

Can you back up that statement?  Unless TWL is lying his ass off in the linked thread, it appears to be phenomenal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
A quick trip to the good 'ol USPO gives us the patent application:

appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='20040244257'.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040244257&RS=DN/20040244257

Now, the claims he makes are pretty impressive and sound more than plausible.  My computer is retarded, so I can't seem to download the images from the patent, and therefore don't know if the data he provides is good or not.  I can tell you however, that the coolest part of this barrel is not the fact that it cools quickly; its the claim that the barrel harmonics don't change with temperature.  That means your last round goes to the same POI as your first from a cool barrel.  hock.gif

If someone did some serious torture testing (10K rounds or so) I'd probably sell my left (non-firing hand) arm and snap one of these up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, so I'm grokking everything here to a certain extent but RWE (Real World Experience) is still causing me issues...

Despite scientific prediction that the KAC MRE system with plastic covers over aluminum tube should run hot, it doesn't.  Much cooler than anything else I've tried.   Hmmmm, what's going on here?  Also, my FAL handguards are made of plastic and get hotter than hell.  But they contact the barrel and have lousy venting.  Figures these things come from Germany, they must have started shooting just to warm their hands in the winter.  When they started making FALs in hot place for guys who shoot their rifles A LOT, the Israelis finally put a wood/vented steel handguard on the thing so you could actually hold it after a couple of mags.  So venting, combined with a poor insulator (wood), helped in that regard.  They must have been issuing oven mitts until they figured that out.  The FNC did something similar with a thick plastic handguard and ventilated metal.  (See, we can work Heat into the discussion!!!)  Anybody make something like this for the AR?  Be a neat rail accesory.  Very retro.

I think what's being overlooked with the aluminum tube/rail cover system is that air is allowed to circulate between the rail covers and the tube.  While the rail covers touch the tube, they are in effect sitting on the fins of a radiator (rail system) in which air is allowed to circulate between every fin (individual rail) Very important.  Also, heat rises and can escape through the top of the FF system.  In the case of standard handguards you have an almost closed system.  The typical FF/rail cover sytem allows for much better air circulation between the components as well as a massive heat sink in the barrel nut.  Heck, with traditional handguards the metal heat sheilds are embedded in the plastic handguards.  Dead air is very efficient insulator (being a poor conductor) virtually guaranteeing these things would stay hot.  Terrible design when you think about it.  The Israeli FAL/FNC design would have been much better.

Couple of other things.  Smooth surfaces pass on heat better than rough surfaces, having less air spaces between themselves and the whatever they touch.  So a bagel is too hot to hold out of the toaster but toast is fine.  Or to be more precise, air is a lousy conductor of heat, which is why you can stick your had in a hot oven but can't grab the roasting pan!  Also helps with  fire walking; the coals have a lot of air space in them amking them poor conductors of heat.  Ask one of those firewalkers to do the same trick on a sheet of steel at the same temp...  Too bad we can't make rail covers out of space shuttle ceramic or something with a high level of surface porosity.  Like wood .  Maybe the old school guys knew something.  Anybody try wood handguards on their AR?  I know they make them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on the FAL plastic gaurds baking after a few mags-poor ventilation.

I think that in the end, the shape and size (and number!) of vents in the handguard are what matters most.

I have a few thermocouples kicking around, if anyone wants to send me some hand guards for testing  Hey hunter-  Can I play too???
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey IDK, if you REALLY want to insulate your hands well, get a handguard made of a Xerogel.  Its glass that is so porous that it has a surface area of 600 square meters per gram material.  Its such a good insulator that the outside of a cube of it can be cool to the touch while the inside is literally glowing red hot... got a picture of that somewhere, I'll check
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a lot of surface area.  Unfortunately, xerogels seem to be pretty brittle.  Maybe a little overkill for this app.  But there must be some substance out there that would do better than the dense plastics used for handguards.

Wood...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems to me like the easiest cheapest solution is to use an upper handguard without heat shields. Protection for hands and fair heat dissipation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Can you back up that statement?  Unless TWL is lying his ass off in the linked thread, it appears to be phenomenal.

Tell ya what. Check with Rock Island, Picatinny, Crane, Colt, FN, plus any of the other barrel makers that you may wish or know.
"THEY" as in the gov't R&D and or commercial barrel making world, domestic and over seas, and you can also do a search in many other places, such as the patent office. The gov't has spent a lot of money on it in the past in their labs and via certain well know established corporations. The military didn't go that way, even thow they would have loved to, because of problems, If someone wants to research why, commence to ask them.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm SIRs dissipate(sp) heat pretty good, don't they?

forums.hostileintent.org/uploads/post-11-1082231625.jpg

I thought you heat freaks would enjoy this picture
HUNTER

DAMN that thing is glazing. I dare you to grab it. LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm SIRs dissipate(sp) heat pretty good, don't they?

forums.hostileintent.org/uploads/post-11-1082231625.jpg

I thought you heat freaks would enjoy this picture
HUNTER

That is a perfect example of how well the SIR does cool, notice what happens to the surpressor since it represents when something has no venting, it can't cool. Part of the gov't and commercial tests done, included how much longer a weapon could fire with a suppressor with a SIR vs. standard handguards, that went less than half as long as the ones with a SIR. The thermal couplings all over certain known heat sink area's verified all the heat variations, on all variations of rail and non railed weapons, and scenarios.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes and mostly no, if considering the fact that alum. handgurds cant' be held as they get too hot and must have covers over them to be able to grasp the weapon a little long, before needing a forwar pistol grip. The panels prevent the cooling just like insulators are supposed to do. The polymer handguads take much more firering before getting as hot as the alum. covered by panels.  .                                                                                                                                                                            .Aren't you same same guy that just posted about the dangers of eccesive heat damaging our barrels. If your HG's not getting hot it's because it's not conducting heat away from the barrel like good ole aluminum will.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes and mostly no, if considering the fact that alum. handgurds cant' be held as they get too hot and must have covers over them to be able to grasp the weapon a little long, before needing a forwar pistol grip. The panels prevent the cooling just like insulators are supposed to do. The polymer handguads take much more firering before getting as hot as the alum. covered by panels.  .                                                                                                                                                                            .Aren't you same same guy that just posted about the dangers of eccesive heat damaging our barrels. If your HG's not getting hot it's because it's not conducting heat away from the barrel like good ole aluminum will.

Your flunking the class, re-read, then get some weapons together and run some tests with temp guages available.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
.                                                                                                                                                                            .Aren't you same same guy that just posted about the dangers of eccesive heat damaging our barrels. If your HG's not getting hot it's because it's not conducting heat away from the barrel like good ole aluminum will.

I'll try once more.  Alum. doesn't radiate if covered by panels. Panels get hot from convective  heat (contacting), then the panels do the radiating into the hand, forward pistol grip then needed.
Polymer lower does not obsorb heat nearly as much as alum. and do not need panels that restrict air flow, air flow creates cooling! Heat not reflected back towards barrel, barrel not receiving expeld heat back again from over heated alum. Air cooling is alowed up thru polymer hand guards to cool weapon via pushing over heated air out.
Air circulation, and radiant heat combine to cool weapon, not just radiant.
There is a limit as to how much any system can handle before getting very hot, but the SIR's have already proven to take much more time for the hand guards and weapon to get to hot to hold.
The preceeding picture is just one of many that demonstrate it.
Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
My DPMS FF handguard only ever got too hot from sitting in the sun while i was shooting my other rifles. I had to set it in the shade for a while before I went to shoot it again, although it never gets all that hot while just shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone seen this site?  Called Advanced Barrel Systems Inc.  A carbon fiber ar barrrel.

//home.alltel.net/mdegerness/index.htm

See if this helps
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#33]
w/mk (watts per meter kelvin and surface area are the answer to the problem)...

Copper, graphite and gold move heat from one point to another and very fast.  Aluminum and some exotic unobtainium come in a distant second.  Steels are way down the list....

The problem with Copper is that it is heavy.  The problem with graphite that it is brittle and breaks very easily.  So we are left with aluminum has our "heat exhaust system"... Now the heat is all created at the point of highest ignition - which from the picture of the can previously shown indicates that this is happening near the end of the barrel.  So at this point we strap on our "heat manifold"  and to this we connect heat pipes.  Heat pipes are great little gadgets that move heat at extremely high w/mk, exponetially higher than copper alone.  They are copper tubes with porous sintered copper cores that are filled with deionized water in a vacuum.  Move mucho heat fast...  But where do we put this heat??  It needs to go some place and someplace quick.  We can exhaust into the atmosphere (ie fins) or store it in a thermal capapcitor.  Most heatsinks are really thermal capacitors (TC's) and really don't get rid of their thermal load very quickly.  But TC's can be heavy.  

So now we have the really neat part, heat is energy and we can put it to work.  As our troups are hot, we can cool them by using the heat from the gun, passed through the heatpipe to a TC in their load bearing vest that drives a small rotary steam plant that compresses freon and chills the water in a vest that they wear next to their bodies.  And don't laugh, I believe that a propane driven version of this device is in development.  It could also be used as a boot warmer.

The only reason this won't work?  Everyone will be burning through ammo trying to keep cool...

OK, I am done now. Just wear gloves.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#35]
The rail system having covers on it or not is about the least important aspect of keeping a barrel cool.  The barrel itself and the barrel nut and the area which is attached to it is where all the heat is.  Very little heat is transfered to the rail itself.  If the rail has adequate ventilation and does not have a heat sheild it will work fine.  For example I can run a DD rail full auto and the barrel nut are will bliter flesh on contact and the rail is just very warm to slightly uncomfortable to hold.  Heat radiated from the barrel to air and off the barrel nut assembly is what is important... not heat radiated off the handguard.

I would surmise you could not find a statistical difference in rounds till cook off using a rail system that does or does not have panels installed.  Even if you could it will be an issue for 0% of the readers of this forum.  Even the people who shoot lots of full auto will never have an issue with cook off or barrel failure because the rail system they use has rail covers on it.  Much of the arguing here is just silliness.  Or rather it is a spokesman for ARMS trying to spread misinformation about how the SIR so very superior in terms of handling heat compared to the other quality rail system manufacturers.  This is simply not true.  Its a NON ISSUE for all the shooters here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Most excellent discussion here.  Thanks Tom for boiling the problem down to it's elements, which makes it easier to noodle solutions.  It explains the why of heat management and the most pertinent issues as it applies to the AR system.  No free lunches in physics which means we still have to move the heat somewhere and insulate those parts which we can't radiate heat from fast enough.  It does seem that even a CF barrel, effective as they are at moving heat,  will move heat to the handguards and this heat has to be managed.  After all, we are generating the same amount of heat regardless of the barrel material.  Correct me if I am wrong here someone.  Vertical grips are not everyone's cup of tea however and it seems like some material could be employed as a better insulator for at least part of the rail covers.  Since of course the rail covers are also inadvertantly serving as radiators by virtue of contact, then it stands to reason that other parts of the forend would get hotter if some stayed cooler...  It's all about moving heat out of the handguards and away from the barrel as efficiently as possible and moving air is the most practical.  So we can increase surface area (Fluting or barrel size) increase conductivity (CF) or both (CF/HBAR profile) but the best way to minimize heat transfer to the handguards is to minimize the amount of time the heated air is in contact with the handguards it seems.  Brings us back to venting.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The rail system having covers on it or not is about the least important aspect of keeping a barrel cool.  The barrel itself and the barrel nut and the area which is attached to it is where all the heat is.  Very little heat is transferred to the rail itself.  If the rail has adequate ventilation and does not have a heat shield it will work fine.  For example I can run a DD rail full auto and the barrel nut are will blister flesh on contact and the rail is just very warm to slightly uncomfortable to hold.  Heat radiated from the barrel to air and off the barrel nut assembly is what is important... not heat radiated off the handguard.

I would surmise you could not find a statistical difference in rounds till cook off using a rail system that does or does not have panels installed.  Even if you could it will be an issue for 0% of the readers of this forum.  Even the people who shoot lots of full auto will never have an issue with cook off or barrel failure because the rail system they use has rail covers on it.  Much of the arguing here is just silliness.  Or rather it is a spokesman for ARMS trying to spread misinformation about how the SIR so very superior in terms of handling heat compared to the other quality rail system manufacturers.  This is simply not true.  Its a NON ISSUE for all the shooters here.

The information quoted above is less than accurate to say the least. Number one, there is no ARMS representation being put forth, it scientific fact, and put forth as such.
If someone thinks that the barrel nut is what gets the hottest, they should run tests with thermal couplings in all the various places up and down, in and out of the weapon. If a person was to notice that if a barrel (nut)was getting hotter than  an alum. hand guard, then the upper receiver that it is attached to must be transferring heat to it. If the upper receiver was that hot, that means that the heavy 1' barrel extension is terribly hot. If the barrel extension was that hot, cook offs would be going off immediately. If the barrel extension which is much heavier in thickness is hot enough to cause cook offs, then the thin middle section of an M4 barrel is in a orange glow. The gas tube cherry red and ready to melt.
What is silly is the above post, (no science and or even common sense). There is always those who are in denial if it suits there opposite desire, but facts are facts proven by science and lots of it.
There are a lot of companies working with the US military to help our soldiers have better equipment and weapons. The problems I and others have discussed, and some of the cause and effect headed solely for identifying solutions found to date by many in industry working in concert with the gov't labs. If someone with an apparent ax to grind, doesn't want to accept that, that's their loss. The soldier is the person that government contractors and military are working for, and those companies with multi million dollar contracts, have to produce verifiable data to get those scrutinized contracts, buy proven facts. Whem mistakes were made, fix em!
The benefit of science by these methods have brought the weapon in discussion forth in the first place, and the civilian market benefits by it also. I'd like to know when enough R&D is enough, and when solutions to existing problems should be overlooked? Maybe we should go back to the good ole M16A2, A1, or AR15, they were good enough, right?
Until anyone has conducted tests, under all circumstances and combinations, to created proven data, to reach conclusions, surmising means nothing. To surmize is Just a wild ass guess, and is only as good as their depth of ignorance that allows them to voice a surmise.
Jack  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#40]
You wouldn't know just like you don't seen to know about contracts to three weapons systems, that are made by KAC, ARMS, and Dandiel Defense. I seems that I remember reading about it on here. Convienience of memory loss again?
The Gov't must not know you don't sell any of those systems, or they wouldn't have chosen them, and ignored any all test results on products you don't have a clue about. what was offered and accepted and or why
Jack
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#42]

They didn't choose the SIR now did they. I am also willing to bet that you (ARMS) doesn't see any of that contract.  KAC and DD will get the majority of it.

It is also rumored that the Govt. has gone to awarding blanket contracts on certain contracts as they don't want to get sued every time they announce a winner. Know anothing about that Dick??

Good shootin,

C4

Well, according to the published reports by Crane, the three companies each got a multi-million dollar contract for rail hand guards.
You always say your looking for dick, is that your first and foremost interest?
Obviously you don't know ,Jack!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I realized the convenience of a VFG the first time I shot an AR. Plain jane HG's, and I still couldn't hold them. Reguardless of material, it's fairly easy to get an AR hot enough, that the HG's will be to hot for comfort.

For awhile I was pondering using thermal coatings on handguards. Specifically aluminum FF's. However, that heat has to go somewhere, and I honestly don't know if the handguards soak up a significant enough amount of heat from the barrel, to not do it. This brought me to another idea.

I plan on using a two piece FF rail system. The bottom section will be coated with a thermal barrier coating, while the top will be using a thermal dissipation coating. Will it be worth it? Who knows. I have access to the stuff so I'm going to give it a try anyways. If that does work, I may even coat some other parts.

ETA: I respect both of you and your companies, but could you please put your personal differences aside from this topic. I mean no disrepect, but this topic is too good to be locked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They didn't choose the SIR now did they. I am also willing to bet that you (ARMS) doesn't see any of that contract.  KAC and DD will get the majority of it.

It is also rumored that the Govt. has gone to awarding blanket contracts on certain contracts as they don't want to get sued every time they announce a winner. Know anothing about that Dick??

Good shootin,

C4

Well, according to the published reports by Crane, the three companies each got a multi-million dollar contract for rail hand guards.
You always say your looking for dick, is that your first and foremost interest?
Obviously you don't know ,Jack!

Have you (ARMS) received a single order yet (other than what your required to provide for testing)? Didn't think so.

As far as looking for "Dick" your the only one I ever see on this board.

C4

Well first you say only KAC and Daniel defense got the contracts, then I point out to you your wrong, and like to give out false info all the time, depending on your position instead of the facts and truth, then you change your position when called on it.
Then if any descusion is going on that doesn't put money in your pocket, even if it is science that might help a soldier and his weapon, you chime in with stupid bs.
If you want to know what any of those three companies are doing, call and ask them. I'm sure you are very important to them and they will tell you anything you want I wish you luck in your search for dick
Jack
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#48]

C4

Well first you say only KAC and Daniel defense got the contracts, then I point out to you your wrong, and like to give out false info all the time, depending on your position instead of the facts and truth, then you change your position when called on it.
Then if any discussion is going on that doesn't put money in your pocket, even if it is science that might help a soldier and his weapon, you chime in with stupid bs.
If you want to know what any of those three companies are doing, call and ask them. I'm sure you are very important to them and they will tell you anything you want I wish you luck in your search for dick
Jack

Dick, I know its hard to drink your JD and post, but please try and keep up. I never said that KAC and DD were the only ones to win the contract. I said that I bet they are the only ones to get any actual order over the 30 required for testing!

This discussion has nothing to do about selling anything. It is about you hiding behind a fake screen name and telling everyone that the ARMS SIR is the best.

If you would just come out and say "I am Dick Swan and I think the ARMS Sir is the best" I would leave you alone. You choose to play this little school girl shit and I call you on it and will continue to call you on it until the day I die!

C4

P.S. in almost every thread you have posted in the last several days, someone has asked you if you are either an ARMS employee or Dick S. himself. What does that tell you??? Do you REALLY thinky our fooling anyone???

The thread is titled quite different than you have just sighted, typical again of your twisting and or turning facts. Your the one selling things, not I, in fact I submitted some discussion along with many others. You interject nothing that has any sense or to the issue at hand. You interject that I must be someone you have an issue with at ARMS.  I have said or proposed anything, reference related to weapons over heat issues, period.
If you have an issue with someone, anywhere, you like personal attacks. Well take it else where.
You just admitted above that you do this, and commence this kind of nonsense, mostly cause of your issue of money first. We have all seen you say thank you "Jack", when we agreed, but if it might threaten sales of something you are selling, you then call me dick.
You talk out of both sides of your mouth depending where you can make money, via self aggrandizement, and too many false or half truths. I sell nothing and haven’t provided my name like a lot of other people on here, but you must feel threatened by facts, and 3rdtk info. isn't the only source, or you wouldn't attack.
If you have some technical or scientific to ask, by all means lets hear it, not your continuous changing of the subject.
If you ever really read the Crane program, you wouldn't come out looking like such an ass of what the three awardees were doing in regards to the gov't needs and as the program was issued. Maybe someone can post it up here. If  read it, it will tell all that has been posted to include any changes, that's how the gov't do things. Now if you have privilege info, then please divulge your source so we can verify your claim of knowing more than the gov't have posted in regards of those three companies. For your info, what you just claimed is not only stupid, but ignorant of how procurement regs. work., but there again, your less than objective spiel against ARMS is typical of your hate mongering if truth and facts threaten your cash flow.
Suggest you try telling us all you know about heat transfer, and all those big words, R&D facts and numbers, insteaf of hate mongering as it suits you, against someone you don't know here or elswhere.
Contribute something in science that might help our soldies, you might even feel good about yourself.
Jack

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#49]
oh forget it
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Ventilated handguard, non insulating type (M4)
Verticle Grip
Carbon Fiber Barrel (sorry, got to dissagree with you on that one Jack)

I think that would go far to alleviate the heat issues
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top