Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/30/2003 7:37:39 PM EDT
I seem to have lost the sling swivel that goes underneath my front sight.

What are my options for mounting a new one? Possibly a quick-detach?

I tried using the Uncle Mikes QD swivels I have on my 700P, but the pins are too fat. Are there specific models for the AR?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:37:32 PM EDT
Aftermarket ain't gunna fit. Buy the USGI replacement parts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:42:53 PM EDT
Knights Armament makes a very nice one that mounts to the front sight tower, and has the QD option.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:49:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Halfcocked: Aftermarket ain't gunna fit. Buy the USGI replacement parts.
View Quote
That seems to be a problem. They all come with a rivet to attach them. How do I use the rivet without a rivet gun? I've never seen a rivet used without a special tool.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:52:32 PM EDT
Roll pins work too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:25:42 PM EDT
Why not order a side sling mount? The kind that wraps around your barrel, underneath the site tower. I just picked up another one from Steve at [url=www.adcofirearms.com]ADCO Firearms[/url] for $28.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:17:00 AM EDT
GG&G makes a clamp one one too. The USGI is held in place with a roll pin. I might have an extra around here some place. I'm off for the week-end. If I find it when I get back I'll email you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:34:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Halfcocked: The USGI is held in place with a roll pin.
View Quote
NO! The USGI is held in with a type of rivet - there is never a roll pin for a USGI rifle. Cheap vendors use roll pins. The proper rivet does not use a rivet 'pop gun' it requires a hammer and a tool like a pin punch (there is a special one for the job - but I'm sure you could substitute).
Top Top