Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:11:53 PM EDT
I've got two choices ahead of me that I need to decide on rather quickly. I figured I'd ask those who are in law enforcement. 1st choice--pay to send myself to be POST certified then apply at either a sheriffs office or PD or 2nd choice--I've already got a job lined up at a Sheriffs office that I'll start out as a detention officer in the jail and then eventually be POST certified and put on patrol within a year. What are the advantages/disadvantages in these decisions?? Most police departments around the atlanta area(with the exception of Atlanta Police) are interested in hiring POST certified officers. thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:07 AM EDT
Take the detention officer job - it's good experience for the street and you'll get paid to go to school. Only thing is I would get the POST academy w/in 1 year in writing.....

Brian
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:13:25 AM EDT
If you don't already have LE experience, corrections is a great place to learn to deal with the CHUDs you'll encounter on the streets and how to handle being in a postition of authority - all in a safer, more controlled environment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:28:17 AM EDT
Take the detention job for a year. Let them pay you. Keep your eyes and mind open. Watch all your co-workers/supervisors. You'll learn plenty. Be careful w your own safety. If you take the patrol job later, many things about it won't be nearly as strange to you. Good luck & Stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:00:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brian4wd:
Take the detention officer job - it's good experience for the street and you'll get paid to go to school. Only thing is I would get the POST academy w/in 1 year in writing.....

Brian

+1.......its good experience for working the road
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:42:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:03:35 AM EDT
+1 on the detention gig. I never worked in the jail and wish I had, would've been great experience.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:08 AM EDT
Sounds like I'll take the DO job...thanks for all your help!
Top Top