Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:11:53 PM EDT
I've got two choices ahead of me that I need to decide on rather quickly.  I figured I'd ask those who are in law enforcement.   1st choice--pay to send myself to be POST certified then apply at either a sheriffs office or PD or 2nd choice--I've already got a job lined up at a Sheriffs office that I'll start out as a detention officer in the jail and then eventually be POST certified and put on patrol within a year.  What are the advantages/disadvantages in these decisions??  Most police departments around the atlanta area(with the exception of Atlanta Police) are interested in hiring POST certified officers.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Take the detention officer job - it's good experience for the street and you'll get paid to go to school.  Only thing is I would get the POST academy w/in 1 year in writing.....

Brian
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't already have LE experience, corrections is a great place to learn to deal with the CHUDs you'll encounter on the streets and how to handle being in a postition of authority - all in a safer, more controlled environment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Take the detention job for a year. Let them pay you. Keep your eyes and mind open. Watch all your co-workers/supervisors. You'll learn plenty. Be careful w your own safety. If you take the patrol job later, many things about it won't be nearly as strange to you. Good luck & Stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Take the detention officer job - it's good experience for the street and you'll get paid to go to school.  Only thing is I would get the POST academy w/in 1 year in writing.....

Brian

+1.......its good experience for working the road
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the detention gig.  I never worked in the jail and wish I had, would've been great experience.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like I'll take the DO job...thanks for all your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top