Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:40:58 PM EDT
a.k.a. Emergency Vehicle Operations Course

started today in the Academy.

No pursuit/high speed stuff, just a lot of technical and precision driving.

After spending all day in the patrol car, I hopped in my car, and nearly broke the windshield wiper stalk off of my steering column trying to put my car into gear.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:18:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JayTXGunner:
a.k.a. Emergency Vehicle Operations Course

started today in the Academy.

No pursuit/high speed stuff, just a lot of technical and precision driving.

After spending all day in the patrol car, I hopped in my car, and nearly broke the windshield wiper stalk off of my steering column trying to put my car into gear.

I know what you mean! I just did mine a few weeks ago! Off road recovery at 65 mph was the best!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:29 PM EDT
Remember front end swing and rear wheel cheat.....especially when backing. Have fun
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:27:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JayTXGunner:

Awesome.

To think the worst I have of it is trying to push in the clutch pedal on my wife's car with automatic transmission.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:29:27 PM EDT
I LOVED EVOC.

That and firearms were the best times in the academy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:44 PM EDT
we call ours LEDT now, but yeah it's a blast. Becoming an instructor is even better!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:08:14 AM EDT
After we had been through them a few times they told us to go ahead and push the limits so we knew what the cars felt like at the edge of control.

Yeah, put a few college kids into a beat up old squad car and send them around a lot with a bunch of cones set up and tell them to "push the limit"

Lots of good times.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 8:09:25 AM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:18:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:31:28 PM EDT
Is there anywhere that teaches high performance/pursuit driving privately? Our force dumbed down the driving skills to barely more than a standard driving test so I have no real performance driving experience. No skid pad, no J-turns, nothing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:27:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KyleCanuck:
Is there anywhere that teaches high performance/pursuit driving privately? Our force dumbed down the driving skills to barely more than a standard driving test so I have no real performance driving experience. No skid pad, no J-turns, nothing.

We don't have a skid pad and won't learn how to do J turns....

I think only the TX LEOs may have heard the problem we are going through, but FWIW, we are going through the TEEX Emergency Vehicle Operations.

Norcal: We are taught to shuffle steer, but let's just say it's taking some getting used to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 7:03:37 PM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
Top Top