Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 3:40:58 PM EDT
a.k.a. Emergency Vehicle Operations Course

started today in the Academy.

No pursuit/high speed stuff, just a lot of technical and precision driving.

After spending all day in the patrol car, I hopped in my car, and nearly broke the windshield wiper stalk off of my steering column trying to put my car into gear.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
a.k.a. Emergency Vehicle Operations Course

started today in the Academy.

No pursuit/high speed stuff, just a lot of technical and precision driving.

After spending all day in the patrol car, I hopped in my car, and nearly broke the windshield wiper stalk off of my steering column trying to put my car into gear.

I know what you mean!  I just did mine a few weeks ago!  Off road recovery at 65 mph was the best!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember front end swing and rear wheel cheat.....especially when backing.  Have fun
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Awesome.

To think the worst I have of it is trying to push in the clutch pedal on my wife's car with automatic transmission.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I LOVED EVOC.

That and firearms were the best times in the academy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
we call ours LEDT now, but yeah it's a blast.  Becoming an instructor is even better!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
After we had been through them a few times they told us to go ahead and push the limits so we knew what the cars felt like at the edge of control.

Yeah, put a few college kids into a beat up old squad car and send them around a lot with a bunch of cones set up and tell them to "push the limit"

Lots of good times.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there anywhere that teaches high performance/pursuit driving privately? Our force dumbed down the driving skills to barely more than a standard driving test so I have no real performance driving experience. No skid pad, no J-turns, nothing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there anywhere that teaches high performance/pursuit driving privately? Our force dumbed down the driving skills to barely more than a standard driving test so I have no real performance driving experience. No skid pad, no J-turns, nothing.

We don't have a skid pad and won't learn how to do J turns....

I think only the TX LEOs may have heard the problem we are going through, but FWIW, we are going through the TEEX Emergency Vehicle Operations.

Norcal: We are taught to shuffle steer, but let's just say it's taking some getting used to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top