Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/16/2002 11:06:26 PM EDT
I just want to have all the panels prepped, decals removed, smoothed, primed and painted a solid gloss black and have decals re-applied. Also want the wheels painted a solid silver and have the forks repainted. How much for custom motorcycle work nowadays? I want the job done right or i'd have done it myself. Are we looking at under $200? Any places in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that does motorcycles?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:40:14 PM EDT
200$? Maybe in 1950. Your looking at 1000.00 dollars at least for that work. One of my friends is the painter for a large shop around here that does A LOT of custom work. Old classics,custom design work and hot roads/drag cars is his specialty. -Kc
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:05:13 AM EDT
MAACO quoted me $150. LOL. How about $500 for just the tank, front upper, front lower, tail?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:53:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2002 3:56:17 AM EDT by MC_Man]
I took the tank, side panels, and fenders to a local paint shop. He put flames, pearl paint, and a few coats of clear for $700. He spent over 4 hours just applying the fine-line tape for the flame outline. This may not be typical, so expect $1000 or more [b]for a good job[/b]. [url]http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jbutter2/desktop.JPG[/url] Edited... get one of those 'Not authorized' messages. Copy the link and open in another browser window.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:36:41 AM EDT
You may want to consider powdercoating for the wheels and fork legs. I can't see how any paint will stand up to the abuse those parts will take from road debris.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:47:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RRotz: I just want to have all the panels prepped, decals removed, smoothed, primed and painted a solid gloss black and have decals re-applied. Also want the wheels painted a solid silver and have the forks repainted. How much for custom motorcycle work nowadays? I want the job done right or i'd have done it myself. Are we looking at under $200? Any places in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that does motorcycles?
View Quote
I just painted my 900RR myself after a little get off on paint and primer alone I spent over $100. And I still need to buy the decals... like someone else mentioned have wheels powder coated(about $200 for a set) As for the painting itself I know people who do it on the side and charge $400 for labor plus the price of the paint and decals. If you have it all done by a shop your looking at a good 800 for a quality job. Maaco may do it for $200 but your going to get crappy maaco paint and a crappy paint job. If you take the stuff to a body shop and do all the prepping yourself(if you can do it properly yourself alot of people seem to think they can prep it all but do a piss poor job) you can get a it done at a cheap price if they just have to spray and clearcoat it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:03:10 AM EDT
Talk to Arock.
Top Top