Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 11:06:26 PM EDT
I just want to have all the panels prepped, decals removed, smoothed, primed and painted a solid gloss black and have decals re-applied.  Also want the wheels painted a solid silver and have the forks repainted.  How much for custom motorcycle work nowadays?  I want the job done right or i'd have done it myself.  Are we looking at under $200?  Any places in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that does motorcycles?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
200$? Maybe in 1950. Your looking at 1000.00 dollars at least for that work. One of my friends is the painter for a large shop around here that does A LOT of custom work. Old classics,custom design work and hot roads/drag cars is his specialty.

-Kc
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
MAACO quoted me $150.  LOL.  How about $500 for just the tank, front upper, front lower, tail?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I took the tank, side panels, and fenders to a local paint shop.  He put flames, pearl paint, and a few coats of clear for $700.  He spent over 4 hours just applying the fine-line tape for the flame outline.  This may not be typical, so expect $1000 or more [b]for a good job[/b].

[url]http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jbutter2/desktop.JPG[/url]

Edited... get one of those 'Not authorized' messages.  Copy the link and open in another browser window.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You may want to consider powdercoating for the wheels and fork legs.

I can't see how any paint will stand up to the abuse those parts will take from road debris.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just want to have all the panels prepped, decals removed, smoothed, primed and painted a solid gloss black and have decals re-applied.  Also want the wheels painted a solid silver and have the forks repainted.  How much for custom motorcycle work nowadays?  I want the job done right or i'd have done it myself.  Are we looking at under $200?  Any places in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that does motorcycles?
View Quote

I just painted my 900RR myself after a little get off on paint and primer alone I spent over $100. And I still need to buy the decals... like someone else mentioned have wheels powder coated(about $200 for a set) As for the painting itself I know people who do it on the side and charge $400 for labor plus the price of the paint and decals. If you have it all done by a shop your looking at a good 800 for a quality job. Maaco may do it for $200 but your going to get crappy maaco paint and a crappy paint job. If you take the stuff to a body shop and do all the prepping yourself(if you can do it properly yourself alot of people seem to think they can prep it all but do a piss poor job) you can get a it done at a cheap price if they just have to spray and clearcoat it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Talk to Arock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top